Joncas

GT Rider

• 7 years later...
4 minutes ago, grumpysanta said:

was this not the second time it burned ?

yes........the old Joncas burned as well. I have great memories of the old version of Joncas  back in the early 90's. The old one had a look of a logger camp (which it was) with all the rooms upstairs.

I was there I think in the 90,s and I remember pictures of the Montreal Canadiens hockey teams. I may be wrong.  

2 hours ago, Jamie Matheson said:

Has it been rebuilt??

I guess just the small  seasonal fishing cottages remain so I was told last week . I asked Natalie ( owner of Pavilion La Verendrye),,,,  who operates -owns Joncus  now after the fires,   and she said the government. She could have meant  gov owned , but leased out to whoever now . I "think" somebody in Phils 1's gang said the Natalie  has a  99yr lease  on her and husbands   open + operating  Pavillion lodge in the park. Makes sense, big investment on their part.  They are critical to get across 63,  hope all patronize  them. They seem to be doing well, place is great   FMCQ needs to park a tractor and operator at the place . Who ever grooms  the western part of 63 out of Belletere, turns  from around at the Joncus gate and heads back west.

download (44).jpg

1 hour ago, momojohnny said:

I guess just the small  seasonal fishing cottages remain so I was told last week . I asked Natalie ( owner of Pavilion La Verendrye),,,,  who operates -owns Joncus  now after the fires,   and she said the government. She could have meant  gov owned , but leased out to whoever now . I "think" somebody in Phils 1's gang said the Natalie  has a  99yr lease  on her and husbands   open + operating  Pavillion lodge in the park. Makes sense, big investment on their part.  They are critical to get across 63,  hope all patronize  them. They seem to be doing well, place is great   FMCQ needs to park a tractor and operator at the place . Who ever grooms  the western part of 63 out of Belletere, turns  from around at the Joncus gate and heads back west.

download (44).jpg

Correct Mike, Natalie did state that they have a 99yr lease operating in the park. Very nice stop. She also told us that it's a 2.5hr drive one way to get supplies for the lodge.

Edited by doonali

If I recall correctly and I may have been at another place as it was my first time in Quebec, there was six in our party we all slept in and we all slept in the same room with bunk beds. We were concerned about heat for the room but they had electric base board heaters and they had a big generator that ran all night. Very warm and comfortable.  We started from a motel off the main road north of maniwaki.  I do remember getting gas on the trail sold by a club. The cost was 1 dollar a liter. That was a lot for 1995. I think it was Jonsas because it took all day to get there. Over 20 years ago. I do remember the hockey pictures. Never got back that  way again until 2008. It was fairly new after a fire. I think we stayed in a cabin.  It was a great place to stay. Hopefully it may open again someday.

3 hours ago, momojohnny said:

download (44).jpg

This was parked there in the late afternoon 2014. He was gone when we woke in the am.

IMG_0210_zps2783d662.jpg

24 minutes ago, GT Rider said:

Joncas

IMG_9113.jpg

That’s the rebuilt 2nd Joncas Jim.  I remember waking up there one morning to -44*F and nobody’s sled would start.  Worked with the owner & his pickup truck to get all the dozen or so sleds up and running.  Great place.  Good memories.  Too bad so many fires have taken down so many of my favorite places to stay in PQ!  Sad indeed.