Who Crosses the Border?

scorpionbowl

For some reason this region gets little snow. But when it does, it's great to leave VT early Saturday on nicely groomed trails and get to a border crossing in an hour or so, and then ride some nice, quiet trails for a day. Then return to VT in late afternoon, when most crazies are gone.

Anyone else crossing the border? Where you going?

Here's a trip from Feb 2005...

We have a family cottage in Ayer's Cliff on the lake. I grew up riding an old Snow Cruiser around the lake and fields that are now housing developments. Last time I rode around there was about 18 years ago. Been meaning to go back every year, but the lousy snow been keeping us in the Lanaudiere and St Raymond area. Amybe this season we can make a loop. What's a day pass in Vermont go for?

We have a family cottage in Ayer's Cliff on the lake. I grew up riding an old Snow Cruiser around the lake and fields that are now housing developments. Last time I rode around there was about 18 years ago. Been meaning to go back every year, but the lousy snow been keeping us in the Lanaudiere and St Raymond area. Amybe this season we can make a loop. What's a day pass in Vermont go for?

unfortunately VT does not do a day pass although I thought I read this year they are going to have a week pass. NH is the same way with only a full season reg.

This year our groups registering ME, NH and Quebec which will be nice so we can go out through the Pittsburg crossing up around Lac Megantic and back in through Coburn Gore.

VAST has proposed a 5-day pass, $65 resident, $95 non-resident. This will be voted on later this month...as well as an early reg discount. Seems expensive to me, especially since those prices are the same as an early purchase of a full season TMA. Details are here: http://www.vtvast.org/TMA/index.htm

Last year we crossed a bunch of times at Derby Line. My buddy has a house in Derby Line and its about 2 miles by trail to customs. Its amazing how nice the trails were every time, in true Quebec fashion!! We've done that loop a couple times. Valcourt and back is an alright ride but there are alot of road crossings the closer you get. Thetford Mines and back is a big mileage day(guard your sled)!! This winter Im hoping for enough snow to leave Derby and head to the HI(anyone interested??). Come on SNOW!!

I cross in from NH alot we have gone from Groveton up to Jackman into que back of to Pittsburg once 475 mile day and also 2x last year form Stewartstown to Jackman to que then back to Pittsburg only 397 lol You can shorten this loop up by crossing @ Corbin gore just out of Eustis Maine It should lessen the miles by atleast 100

By-the-Way, all Canadian registrations are honored in NH. :shok: You (your resident Canadian registered snowmobiles) do not need to re-register in NH or buy a trail pass. :good: Come on Down!!!! :yahoo: The exchange rate is pretty close to 1 to 1. :good:

Mark :drinks:

• 1 month later...

I belong to a board named Snowmobileforum.com and someone posted this site up on a subject. I'm just thrilled to see it. I grewup in the eastern townships massawippi (like the lake) a twon of 200 ish and miss it a ton. went sledding about 4 yrs ago with my dad and cousin on that loop and ran into problems in the rockforest /lenoxville area. Really want to go back and ride to magantic someday. Family owns a cottage in Waysmills right on the trail its trying to get my dad to go hes 55 now and thinks hes to old. when we went 4 yrs ago was with a bunch of hotdoggers and was to much for him.

I belong to a board named Snowmobileforum.com and someone posted this site up on a subject. I'm just thrilled to see it. I grewup in the eastern townships massawippi (like the lake) a twon of 200 ish and miss it a ton. went sledding about 4 yrs ago with my dad and cousin on that loop and ran into problems in the rockforest /lenoxville area. Really want to go back and ride to magantic someday. Family owns a cottage in Waysmills right on the trail its trying to get my dad to go hes 55 now and thinks hes to old. when we went 4 yrs ago was with a bunch of hotdoggers and was to much for him.

i took my dad on an 800 mile saddlebag 2 years ago when he was 59, kept it to 50 or so for the most part, went from St Georges out towards Squatec and back. He lives in FL and had only ridden 1 x in 03 for 120 miles or so since the early 80's. GReat father son time.

i took my dad on an 800 mile saddlebag 2 years ago when he was 59, kept it to 50 or so for the most part, went from St Georges out towards Squatec and back. He lives in FL and had only ridden 1 x in 03 for 120 miles or so since the early 80's. GReat father son time.

I am 63, wish my son had more time so we could do something like that. :good: I guess I will just have to enjoy the cross country trips with the wife. :yahoo:

I am 63, wish my son had more time so we could do something like that. :good: I guess I will just have to enjoy the cross country trips with the wife. :yahoo:

Two years ago I took my oldest daughter to the Gaspe sledding. The trip got cut short due to mechanical problems but had a great time and plan to do it again sometime. This winter I will take my youngest daughter to the Gaspe. She has been talking about it for over a year now. We are both looing forward to the trip.

we were actually going to do more but there was an ice storm the first day of our trip that knocked a couple hundred miles off. My dad did 265 miles the last day coming back from Riviere du loup. MUst have been OK for him because he was going to come back last winter but with uncoperative snow it never happened. If I don't sell my spare sled this fall I'll get him to come up for another short saddlebag.

Figure my parents were the ones who got me into riding when I was 5 or 6 so I can pay it back.

• 3 weeks later...

I do both the NH and Quebec trail passes and this year am thinking about a VAST pass as well. My camp is about 40 miles south of the Canadian border and 6 miles east of Vermont. Last year we left my camp by sled and went up to Mont Joli and back. We are planning to add a few extra days this year and ride in the Gaspe. It makes for some nice riding to be able to do some loops and trip up to Quebec and back for a nice day ride. I have also done the trip to Magantic and back in a day without any issues. It sure beats just riding around Swift Diamond and the Ridge Runner trails. They are nice for a day, but get very crowded on the weekends.

Have heard good things about the VAST trails and would like to start doing the loop up into Quebec and down through Vermont and back to camp this year.

For some reason this region gets little snow. But when it does, it's great to leave VT early Saturday on nicely groomed trails and get to a border crossing in an hour or so, and then ride some nice, quiet trails for a day. Then return to VT in late afternoon, when most crazies are gone.

Anyone else crossing the border? Where you going?

Here's a trip from Feb 2005...

we have stickers for New Hampshire. Are there trails from Pittsburg NH that lead into a similar route?

we have stickers for New Hampshire. Are there trails from Pittsburg NH that lead into a similar route?

Yes, just take NH Corridor 5 North all the way to the border and you will connect with the Quebec trail system. Check out the FCMQ web site and the interactive snowmobile trail map.