Vicoriaville area

Jackstraw

We are heading to that area for the first time next Wed. was wondering if there are any places with secure parking for the truck? I figure we should be far enough East to get out of the flatlands and want to do a 3 day loop out towards the St. georges, Thetford mines area. Prefer to leave the truck in a gated coral if possible. Any info would be great. have never ridden South of the river except for RDL East on the Gaspe. :drinks:

We are heading to that area for the first time next Wed. was wondering if there are any places with secure parking for the truck? I figure we should be far enough East to get out of the flatlands and want to do a 3 day loop out towards the St. georges, Thetford mines area. Prefer to leave the truck in a gated coral if possible. Any info would be great. have never ridden South of the river except for RDL East on the Gaspe. :drinks:

Stay Away from Hotel La Victorin lost a truck and trailer there. Was told no problem it is plenty safe. Came back 10 days later from circling the Gaspe and all was gone. THEN they said oh my not another one , we just had one stolen this morning also!! Wouldn't stay there again ever!! Cops said let me guess it was a diesel ford or chevy? No it was a dodge power wagon to which they replied huh they don't usually take them!!! =@

Stay Away from Hotel La Victorin lost a truck and trailer there. Was told no problem it is plenty safe. Came back 10 days later from circling the Gaspe and all was gone. THEN they said oh my not another one , we just had one stolen this morning also!! Wouldn't stay there again ever!! Cops said let me guess it was a diesel ford or chevy? No it was a dodge power wagon to which they replied huh they don't usually take them!!! =@

I just checked with that place and they don't have secure parking, only for sleds, thanks for the heads up! I also have a diesel Ford! It's gotta be in a secure spot, I don't want to have to worry the whole time I'm gone. Anywhere else without trailering all the way out? Otherwise I'll just ride North of the river again, but was hoping to try something diffrent! Maybe the sherbrooke area?

Edited by Jackstraw

Well i guess we got lucky!Have parked In at least six different unsucured locations and have not had problems but would still pick a secure lot if one was close by.Park at motel Safari and sled down and cross over at Trois-Rivieres there is a shuttle service at Auberge Godefroy you can call and get.Its only 55 miles from Trois- Rivieres to Victoriaville and Motel Safari to Trois-Rivieres is @ 50 miles .Easy morning ride.Its always better riden then driven.You get a great area with lots of early season snow.

Hi Jackstraw,

If you want to head another hour east, you could try Hotel Bernieres, St Nicolas. It is just below Quebec City on autoroute 20. Their website is

http://www.hotelbernieres.qc.ca/.

They have a good restaurant and a bar. There is a gas station just down the street that you can snowmobile to.

Years ago they did have a theft problem. I lost a 2 place trailer from there but they have since put up an enclosed gated area for truck and trailers. It is not huge, maybe 10 trucks can fit in there. They speak english and get a lot of snowmobile and ATV traffic.

There is a short trail that leads out to trails 5 & 75. Much of trail 35 is railroad bed. Trail 55 is also very nice but more scenic.

From Hotel Bernieres you can do nice day trips or overnights. It is a one day ride to Riviere du Loup, 210 miles by sled. Thetford Mines / St Georges is an easy ride.

We are going up Martin Luther King weekend for 4 days.

Happy trails to you! :drinks:

Jack

Hi Jackstraw,

If you want to head another hour east, you could try Hotel Bernieres, St Nicolas. It is just below Quebec City on autoroute 20. Their website is

http://www.hotelbernieres.qc.ca/.

They have a good restaurant and a bar. There is a gas station just down the street that you can snowmobile to.

Years ago they did have a theft problem. I lost a 2 place trailer from there but they have since put up an enclosed gated area for truck and trailers. It is not huge, maybe 10 trucks can fit in there. They speak english and get a lot of snowmobile and ATV traffic.

There is a short trail that leads out to trails 5 & 75. Much of trail 35 is railroad bed. Trail 55 is also very nice but more scenic.

From Hotel Bernieres you can do nice day trips or overnights. It is a one day ride to Riviere du Loup, 210 miles by sled. Thetford Mines / St Georges is an easy ride.

We are going up Martin Luther King weekend for 4 days.

Happy trails to you! :drinks:

Jack

Thanks for the input, I'm trying to keep the driving to a Minimum as we have only 3 days and it's a 8 hour drive to Victoriaville. I'd be open to leaving the trucks across the border in VT. if there's a place near the border. But we would probably have to buy Vast passes to cross.

Thanks for the input, I'm trying to keep the driving to a Minimum as we have only 3 days and it's a 8 hour drive to Victoriaville. I'd be open to leaving the trucks across the border in VT. if there's a place near the border. But we would probably have to buy Vast passes to cross.

You can try the Balmoral Hotel in Thetford Mines as a close place to start out if you want to change things up. My friend and I rode out of there last year, left the truck, and had no issues. There's a place called the Coconut in Trio-Rivieres that's just past Victoriaville over the bridge. Small parking lot, open, have left sleds out overnight with no issues. You leave you keys with them in case they get snow and need to move your vehicle to plow. Anywhere in Canada, never leave your keys in your vehicle, unless you have a buddy stay with the truck. Just lock your stuff up at night no matter where you go.

I live near Springfield, M.A. and it ussually takes us 5 1/2 hrs to Thetford mines, and around 6, to 6/12 to Trio-Rivieres, depending on roads and weather. We're heading possibly up to Thetford next tuesday for a week. As long you stay away from Quebec city itself, you'll be fine. Good luck !

Trails on this side of the river are very good and I almost prefer them. I live in VT and have left from this side but yes, you would need a VAST TMA to do that. If you want to cut your drive, the president of the Stanstead QC club has a motel in Stanstead - which is the 1st town after you cross the border on I91. His name is Marty Fatieux (sp). There is a gs station there w/the Imperial Motel and you can get your Canadian permit there also.

Thetford Mines has had theft problems on and off for years but the Balmoral might be OK. I've stayed there but never left a vehicle there. The clubhouse in Beauceville is safe. No corral but there is always a guy there 7x24 and i have never heard of any problems there. Of course there isn't a place to sleep but you can get food/drink and head off. Quite a few guys from Maine start there.

Montmagny has at least 2 good places close to the RT20 interchange (motels) but not sure if you want to go that far east??

Trails on this side of the river are very good and I almost prefer them. I live in VT and have left from this side but yes, you would need a VAST TMA to do that. If you want to cut your drive, the president of the Stanstead QC club has a motel in Stanstead - which is the 1st town after you cross the border on I91. His name is Marty Fatieux (sp). There is a gs station there w/the Imperial Motel and you can get your Canadian permit there also.

Thetford Mines has had theft problems on and off for years but the Balmoral might be OK. I've stayed there but never left a vehicle there. The clubhouse in Beauceville is safe. No corral but there is always a guy there 7x24 and i have never heard of any problems there. Of course there isn't a place to sleep but you can get food/drink and head off. Quite a few guys from Maine start there.

Montmagny has at least 2 good places close to the RT20 interchange (motels) but not sure if you want to go that far east??

Thanks for the info,How about the border motel in Derby? The owner said he's 4 miles from the border, do you think we would still need a Vast pass to get to the border?

Hi Jackstraw, Good question. I would think not having a vast pass wouldn't be a problem IMO. If it's only 4 miles and your going DIRECTLY to the border I hope an officer would understand. It may be possible to ask V.A.S.T. directly, try their website...

Hi Jackstraw, Good question. I would think not having a vast pass wouldn't be a problem IMO. If it's only 4 miles and your going DIRECTLY to the border I hope an officer would understand. It may be possible to ask V.A.S.T. directly, try their website...

Here is what it says on the VAST web site regarding the accessing the trail from an adjacent state/province where you are already registered:

"(e) Special provisions for certain areas of operation; Massachusetts; New Hampshire; New York; Province of Quebec. A legally registered snowmobile, from any adjacent state or Province which provides the same reciprocity to Vermont, may enter this state by using a portion of the statewide snowmobile trail system, a public right-of-way open to snowmobiles, or private land that is posted open to snowmobiles, for a distance not to exceed three miles for the sole purpose of accessing the closest food, fuel, lodging and repair services, and, at a point three miles from the state line, trails shall be posted "VT TMA Required Beyond This Point". In Addison, Bennington and Rutland counties, licensed snowmobiles from reciprocating jurisdictions may operate from the New York border to Poultney village via corridor trail 4A (Delaware Hudson Rail Trail); from the New York border in Pawlet in the north to the New York border in the south in the town of Rupert (13 miles) along corridor trail 4; and from Lake Champlain at Benson Landing to the town of Benson via the local snowmobile trail."

You can call them to check: 802-229-0005.

We have left from the Border Motel before but that was when it had other owners. Can't comment if they are OK with parking there if you aren't staying there. There is also a Super 8 just down the street from the Border Motel. That doesn't resolve your TMA issue though :help:

With all the hassle, I think I would just park and leave from Stanstead. Marcel (Marty) is a good guy and I have bought passes from him in the past.

. . . or you could drive further into Canada

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54

Here is what it says on the VAST web site regarding the accessing the trail from an adjacent state/province where you are already registered:

"(e) Special provisions for certain areas of operation; Massachusetts; New Hampshire; New York; Province of Quebec. A legally registered snowmobile, from any adjacent state or Province which provides the same reciprocity to Vermont, may enter this state by using a portion of the statewide snowmobile trail system, a public right-of-way open to snowmobiles, or private land that is posted open to snowmobiles, for a distance not to exceed three miles for the sole purpose of accessing the closest food, fuel, lodging and repair services, and, at a point three miles from the state line, trails shall be posted "VT TMA Required Beyond This Point". In Addison, Bennington and Rutland counties, licensed snowmobiles from reciprocating jurisdictions may operate from the New York border to Poultney village via corridor trail 4A (Delaware Hudson Rail Trail); from the New York border in Pawlet in the north to the New York border in the south in the town of Rupert (13 miles) along corridor trail 4; and from Lake Champlain at Benson Landing to the town of Benson via the local snowmobile trail."

You can call them to check: 802-229-0005.

We have left from the Border Motel before but that was when it had other owners. Can't comment if they are OK with parking there if you aren't staying there. There is also a Super 8 just down the street from the Border Motel. That doesn't resolve your TMA issue though :help:

With all the hassle, I think I would just park and leave from Stanstead. Marcel (Marty) is a good guy and I have bought passes from him in the past.

. . . or you could drive further into Canada

We're leaving from the Border motel, talked to Gene the owner said no problem leaving the trucks there. We'll be staying there on our return next Sat night. 1 out of the 4 sleds needs a QC pass so we'll stop at Stanstead and pick up the pass. Thanks for the help! :drinks:

Edited by Jackstraw