Modular Helmets

600IQHO

Who do you think has the best modular helmet and why? I am looking for comfort , warmth and it needs to be easy to put on. I also do not care who makes it. I am looking to replace both of our helmets in the off season.

Ive seen 3 modular helmets come apart on contact with horrifying effects. I personally would not wear one. On impact the 2 little plastic fingers snap and leave your face wide open. I saw 1 guy have his nose broken and both eyes closed for a few days after hitting the bars and a friend of mine lost his front teeth and got 20+ stitches in his chin after a crash.

There was a post over on Doo Talk that had a lot of opinions about helmets. You may want to check over there for some additional info.

Sandi and I have been using Ski Doo's helmets for many years. We both had the original Modular and we were happy with them. I went to the BV2 a couple of years ago. I like the drop down face so you can talk when you're stopped without having to take the helmet off. I don't use a heated shield and haven't had any fogging problems. Some people say I don’t breath. :rofl:

Sandi tried the BV2 but couldn't get her glasses on and off with the helmet on. No glasses for Sandi is a big problem. She went with the newer Modular instead and is very happy. She has a heated shield but doesn't plug it in very often. In the past she would always have the shield plugged in. I think it is combination of the newer helmet and the taller windshield on her sled that keeps her shield clear.

The disadvantages with the BV2 that I have found are:

1. They drip down the front of your suit.

2. Some people have had problems with the heated shield fogging between the layers of plastic. I'm told Ski Doo replaces the shields if they are less than one year old.

3. The exhaust valve sometimes freezes when it is cold, -20 C and colder. If you huff and puff a little it usually thaws the valve out right away. It is just a surprise the first time it happens.

The advantages with the BV2 (my 2¢):

1. I find them to be light.

2. They are warm if you don’t have any air leaks.

3. They don’t fog up.

4. Plenty of side vision.

5. A second yellow or smoked shield is built in that is easy to use.

One other note is we use Ski Doo’s balaclava (did I spell that right?) I think it is made out of Dentek material and it does not let any air thru to your neck. You have to have no air leaks in the neck area no matter what helmet you have. And it goes without saying that if you wear a balaclava, try the helmet on with the balaclava on.

Happy shopping.

Jack :good:

There was a post over on Doo Talk that had a lot of opinions about helmets. You may want to check over there for some additional info.

Sandi and I have been using Ski Doo's helmets for many years. We both had the original Modular and we were happy with them. I went to the BV2 a couple of years ago. I like the drop down face so you can talk when you're stopped without having to take the helmet off. I don't use a heated shield and haven't had any fogging problems. Some people say I don’t breath. :rofl:

Sandi tried the BV2 but couldn't get her glasses on and off with the helmet on. No glasses for Sandi is a big problem. She went with the newer Modular instead and is very happy. She has a heated shield but doesn't plug it in very often. In the past she would always have the shield plugged in. I think it is combination of the newer helmet and the taller windshield on her sled that keeps her shield clear.

The disadvantages with the BV2 that I have found are:

1. They drip down the front of your suit.

2. Some people have had problems with the heated shield fogging between the layers of plastic. I'm told Ski Doo replaces the shields if they are less than one year old.

3. The exhaust valve sometimes freezes when it is cold, -20 C and colder. If you huff and puff a little it usually thaws the valve out right away. It is just a surprise the first time it happens.

The advantages with the BV2 (my 2¢):

1. I find them to be light.

2. They are warm if you don’t have any air leaks.

3. They don’t fog up.

4. Plenty of side vision.

5. A second yellow or smoked shield is built in that is easy to use.

One other note is we use Ski Doo’s balaclava (did I spell that right?) I think it is made out of Dentek material and it does not let any air thru to your neck. You have to have no air leaks in the neck area no matter what helmet you have. And it goes without saying that if you wear a balaclava, try the helmet on with the balaclava on.

Happy shopping.

Jack :good:

I have been looking up info on the BV2 this morning and a lot of people are saying they have trouble with them fogging up. You are telling me yours does not fog? I have the original modular that BRP made, but I am tired of the face mask and have issues with the mask leaking, I had used that helmet about 5 years. Last year I bought a new full face with an electric shield. That helmet is hard to get over my big head and a lot of COLD air comes up under my chin and onto my face. Needless to say I am not happy with that either. The BV2 looked like a good choice but for the cost and then if I would have to buy electric shields that are about $160 each. I doubt there will be any happy shopping here, just one big tough decision.

I have been looking up info on the BV2 this morning and a lot of people are saying they have trouble with them fogging up. You are telling me yours does not fog? I have the original modular that BRP made, but I am tired of the face mask and have issues with the mask leaking, I had used that helmet about 5 years. Last year I bought a new full face with an electric shield. That helmet is hard to get over my big head and a lot of COLD air comes up under my chin and onto my face. Needless to say I am not happy with that either. The BV2 looked like a good choice but for the cost and then if I would have to buy electric shields that are about $160 each. I doubt there will be any happy shopping here, just one big tough decision.

I will check what kind I have for sure I got them at the Yamaha dealer. I think they are made by agv or lazer? Never ever fog no matter what dont have to use heated shield and the facemask clips on the side so it is easy to take off on the trail to talk. You can lift shield only or lift whole front mask. :good:

Funny i just bought one of those helmets and used it for the first time this week .It kept me warm but i put on a electric shield and it fogged up on the on the inside of the outside shield. The seal was not very good on the new shield the dealer is replacing it.The dealer i bought mine from bought a bunch of red ones and has alot of XLs and 3Xls on sale for $300 cdn.Color didnt matter to me so what the heck.

i have had my bv2 for 2 plus years.. never fogs . i was the first of my group to buy one, now most all have them.

i have had my bv2 for 2 plus years.. never fogs . i was the first of my group to buy one, now most all have them.

question dooright, with or without electric shield?

BV2, best helmet on the market. Had a Arctic Cat TXI, which was OK but too heavy and the field of vision is not great. Tried the newer AC modular and had too many air leaks, my friends have the new HJC and it has too many air leaks. It is true that after a long cold ride the BV2 has "juice" dripping out of the breather, I just deal with it. Also, the electric shield can fog a little (but never really bad at all) if the foam seal gets wet at all. I have never tried it with the regular shield but many do and say it does not fog at all.

Good luck, I think the down side is the cost of the BV2 it is really expensive.

this pic was taken this year, on our way to scoobyraid. looks like the bv2 gang !

http://berardoracing.com/gallery/Marks%20T...s/IMG_0199.html

Dooright,

This is Wes, we chatted about the 1200's in the internet room at the Holiday Inn between Christmas and New Years. Happy New Year to you and the rest of your buddies! We left Late Friday afternoon and finished up the the rest of the way home to PA. Saturday. We are heading back up to St. Micheal Des Saints this Friday the 15th. and taking off until the following Sunday. Not sure where we are heading yet, might cross at the Corinet and head up towards Matane and loop back. You guys going anywhere soon? Has your son raced again yet?

Wes

Hi 600IQHO,

I don’t use a heated shield on the BV2. I didn’t use a heated shield on my modular before that. It has probably been at least ten years since I’ve used a heated shield. I know a lot of riders prefer heated shields and I may be in the minority. With that said, I very, very rarely have a fogging issue (knock on wood) :D . I’ll have a problem if it is freezing rain but even heated shields do then.

The only time I have had any fog with the BV2 is in front of my right eye. My right eye tends to water easily and when it does I will get a small spot in front of it. I feel it is my old defective body and not any design problem with the shield :wacko: .

My hat size is 7 3/8 which is big but not gigantic. The face piece on the modular was tight for me but they only come in one size. The BV2 face piece is adjustable so I feel more comfortable in it when compared to the modular.

My wife's modular was about five years old when the gasket around the shield started to deteriorate and leak air around the shield. That is one of the reasons she replaced hers.

All of this is just my 2¢ worth. Please don’t take me for gospel but only as one opinion of many. Try on different helmets. You may even be able to rent one from one of the dealers that rent sleds. I know they rent suits, boots and helmets but I don’t know if they have BV2's or only the open face helmets. My dealer only rents open face helmets. (Health reasons, germs in the mouthpiece. :pardon: )

What brand is the helmet that you bought last year? You mention cold air under the helmet and on to your face. I had that issue for many years because my suit didn’t fit high enough on my neck. I tried a gator around my neck and fur around the top of the suit and still would get a draft. I bought a suit that fits high on the neck and a Ski Doo wind resistant balaclava and the combination solved the cold neck / draft under the helmet problem.

My wife just reminded me that we have medium high windshields on the sleds. This may be just enough to deflect the air away from the chin area and help eliminate the draft problem.

PS. One of the magazines recently were testing sleds and noticed that the same sled with a taller windshield gains 1-2 mph because of the better aerodynamics, windshield vs. a body sticking up over the handlebars. Who would have ever guessed that?

Everybody has a helmet and an opinion. That is why there is more than one helmet manufacturer. One size does not fit all! Do your research and may the best helmet win!

Jack :D

I don't know about speed but I can tell you for sure a tall windshield(although not race looking enough for many) makes all the difference for touring.

If you are a rider that spends hours at a time going places a tall winshield just makes sense. I don't care what it might look llike.

This is snowmobiling not a fashion show warmth and function for me.

As far as the helmets go I have used a modular for many years

I can see the concerns with the modulars opening during an incident for sure, but it's a dangerous passtime.

I have an electric shield and use it when it is extra cold only usually.

The choice is a personal one for sure and for each will be different.

happy trails all

bonne randonee

Dooright,

This is Wes, we chatted about the 1200's in the internet room at the Holiday Inn between Christmas and New Years. Happy New Year to you and the rest of your buddies! We left Late Friday afternoon and finished up the the rest of the way home to PA. Saturday. We are heading back up to St. Micheal Des Saints this Friday the 15th. and taking off until the following Sunday. Not sure where we are heading yet, might cross at the Corinet and head up towards Matane and loop back. You guys going anywhere soon? Has your son raced again yet?

Wes

Happy new year to you guys too !

happy to know the long azz trip back to pa went well. Sounds like a good long trip soon again for you guys.... going to matane... boat crossing at baie-comeau or godbout ? we did the godbout crossing a few years back. We are thinking of a ride this week, shawinagan to roberval maybe. Mark and his son went to race at the RMR in ny this weekend.... not sure of the results yet

Be safe,

Randy

Who do you think has the best modular helmet and why? I am looking for comfort , warmth and it needs to be easy to put on. I also do not care who makes it. I am looking to replace both of our helmets in the off season.

I have the older Bombardier modular bought it on sale when the new ones came out,BV2's were selling at 600 bucks then,big turn off. Anyways all to say i have been riding in temps as low as -38C and never experienced fogging but on the other hand every two hours i had to clear out the exhaust breatheres as they ice up,much rather have this issue than fogging up. Love the helmet and now most of my riding parteners have switched over to the BV2s,i think it might be my last year for this helmet.

Happy new year to you guys too !

happy to know the long azz trip back to pa went well. Sounds like a good long trip soon again for you guys.... going to matane... boat crossing at baie-comeau or godbout ? we did the godbout crossing a few years back. We are thinking of a ride this week, shawinagan to roberval maybe. Mark and his son went to race at the RMR in ny this weekend.... not sure of the results yet

Be safe,

Randy

Yeah, it took 13.5hrs.going home compared to the 17 coming up in the storm!! The 9.5 hr drive to St. Michel des Saints will seem like a breeze for sure... If we decide to cross it will be around Quebec city. I forget the exact name but I think it was at a place called the Coronet, I know how to get there just unsure of the name. Anyhow they have a guy that shuttles you across with a van and enclosed trailer to the other side. Then we take off from there and head through the Chaudiere Appl. and the Bas St Laurent and on into the Gaspe etc. that way you don't waste time on the ferry crossing. I may try to go up to Roberval and up to Chibougamau on over to Valdor and back but I need to confirm all of that is open. You guys take care and enjoy the winter, hope to meet you on the trail again for another B.S. session!!!!!!

Wes

Hi 600IQHO,

I don’t use a heated shield on the BV2. I didn’t use a heated shield on my modular before that. It has probably been at least ten years since I’ve used a heated shield. I know a lot of riders prefer heated shields and I may be in the minority. With that said, I very, very rarely have a fogging issue (knock on wood) :D . I’ll have a problem if it is freezing rain but even heated shields do then.

The only time I have had any fog with the BV2 is in front of my right eye. My right eye tends to water easily and when it does I will get a small spot in front of it. I feel it is my old defective body and not any design problem with the shield :wacko: .

My hat size is 7 3/8 which is big but not gigantic. The face piece on the modular was tight for me but they only come in one size. The BV2 face piece is adjustable so I feel more comfortable in it when compared to the modular.

My wife's modular was about five years old when the gasket around the shield started to deteriorate and leak air around the shield. That is one of the reasons she replaced hers.

All of this is just my 2¢ worth. Please don’t take me for gospel but only as one opinion of many. Try on different helmets. You may even be able to rent one from one of the dealers that rent sleds. I know they rent suits, boots and helmets but I don’t know if they have BV2's or only the open face helmets. My dealer only rents open face helmets. (Health reasons, germs in the mouthpiece. :pardon: )

What brand is the helmet that you bought last year? You mention cold air under the helmet and on to your face. I had that issue for many years because my suit didn’t fit high enough on my neck. I tried a gator around my neck and fur around the top of the suit and still would get a draft. I bought a suit that fits high on the neck and a Ski Doo wind resistant balaclava and the combination solved the cold neck / draft under the helmet problem.

My wife just reminded me that we have medium high windshields on the sleds. This may be just enough to deflect the air away from the chin area and help eliminate the draft problem.

PS. One of the magazines recently were testing sleds and noticed that the same sled with a taller windshield gains 1-2 mph because of the better aerodynamics, windshield vs. a body sticking up over the handlebars. Who would have ever guessed that?

Everybody has a helmet and an opinion. That is why there is more than one helmet manufacturer. One size does not fit all! Do your research and may the best helmet win!

This is why I read what is posted on this site, I really believe what you guys are saying. All the bad stuff that I read about the BV2 just happened to be on other forums and a lot of people on those forums say anything to create controversy. We have decided not to wait for the off season and upgrade before our next trip in 2 weeks. I will be stopping at my closest DOO dealer on Tuesday (have not been there for a while). Hopefully they have our sizes and color in stock. At this piont it looks like the BV2 is the way we might go. Tuesday looks like it might be an expensive day.

I would like to thank everybody for there for there input and honest opinion!

Hi 600IQHO,

Forgot to answer your other question. I bought a Polaris Cyclone helmet last year and put an electric sheild on it right away. It is very comfortable once you get it on correctly, that is the problem it can take while to do that. It actually has a face mask inside and your breath is inhaled and exhaled out the side of the helmet. The helmet also has a deflector shield in front of the chin but I just cannot stop the air from coming up under the chin. Like I said before I also Have the original BRP modular and I am not used to having air hit my mouth and chin.

Yeah, it took 13.5hrs.going home compared to the 17 coming up in the storm!! The 9.5 hr drive to St. Michel des Saints will seem like a breeze for sure... If we decide to cross it will be around Quebec city. I forget the exact name but I think it was at a place called the Coronet, I know how to get there just unsure of the name. Anyhow they have a guy that shuttles you across with a van and enclosed trailer to the other side. Then we take off from there and head through the Chaudiere Appl. and the Bas St Laurent and on into the Gaspe etc. that way you don't waste time on the ferry crossing. I may try to go up to Roberval and up to Chibougamau on over to Valdor and back but I need to confirm all of that is open. You guys take care and enjoy the winter, hope to meet you on the trail again for another B.S. session!!!!!!

Wes

i think the name is coudres , coronet is up at sacre-coeur off the 93 i think.

any how , it all sounds sweet !!!

Randy

BV2s for sure. Light. Great visibility. No Fogging... when properly used. Light on the back is highly visible at night or in snow dust. As mentioned b4, it will drizzle on you. Make sure you buy the high test inserts for it. BRP makes a few versions, the ones that come with the helmet are the best, thick, highly absorbant and re-usable. I know, re-using them is gross but it's cheap.

BV2s for sure. Light. Great visibility. No Fogging... when properly used. Light on the back is highly visible at night or in snow dust. As mentioned b4, it will drizzle on you. Make sure you buy the high test inserts for it. BRP makes a few versions, the ones that come with the helmet are the best, thick, highly absorbant and re-usable. I know, re-using them is gross but it's cheap.

I bought 2 BV2's yesterday, they are very comfortable, as for the light on the back they are both being returned!! Her helmet the light only turned on a couple of times and that was it no more light. Mine the light works but you cannot turn it off, I have to pull the battery out!! For that kind of money I thought everything would work at least for 1 ride. Those where the last 2 in stock in our sizes, the replacements are suppose to be in before we leave on the 24th. Hope we have better luck with them.