Another starter topic...

scorpionbowl

Maybe a lot of people don't know where these "other" regions are?

This is a relatively small region, that I think of as the gateway to the Gaspe. The two major cities, Riviere-du-Loup and Rimouski, are often starting points for us Americans who ride the Gaspe. The railroad bed from RDL to Cabano will blow any engine with a sign of weakness. The region is very flat and very windy, not unlike areas around Lac St-Jean.

Here's a pictures outside RDL, the day after a foot of snow, very cold and very windy. This guy was clearing a road at the trail crossing, which resulted in about a 3-4' cliff that was unpassable, we had to find another place to cross.

Scorpion, Last Feb in NY when they had that 100" we ran into a spot that was a 4' cliff where plow went thru, it was tough to do but we had on choice. Gettin up other side was easier than goin down.

Oh yea really cool pix...

Simmons ski and gauntlets, you guys must put on some miles.

Don't you have to live in PQ to have a stuffed animal on the bumper?

We do our share of miles 4.5 to 5k a year. We did pick up on the stuffed animal on the front bumper from our 1st trip to the Gaspe a few years ago. My dads nick name is moose so we started hanging stuffed moose on our bumpers a few years ago.

normal_mike_s_moose_1_2_1.jpg

Pullinfront

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing the pictures brings back so many good memories of the least crowded area of Quebec. The trail from Cabano to Squatec is usually awesome and if Squatec was able to purchase their new groomer this summer it will be even better. I am a little worried about the article in Snow Goer. I remember what happened in St. Michel after a similar article back in the nineties (sp). The place was relatively quiet and two years after the article appeared it was too crowded to ride there. I can remember when the trail from Lac Stanislaus to Matawin wasn't groomed. I would be willing to bet that it has been the most used trail in Quebec in the last twenty years.

Finally called the Border Patrol yesterday to get the official low-down on what is required for Canada this winter. The customs guy told me that no PASSPORT is required and in his opinion probably never will. All you need is a driver's license (picture ID) for re-entry into the US. Canadian customs requires a birth certificate which I never knew until the last time I went up in March. A good idea would be to have both and then no problems.

Nice to see you again Bill at the races. I forgot to tell you that I have a new Dachsund. She is 6 months old now and doing very well. Didn't know how much I missed having a dog until I got another. Her name is Emilee, picked out and named by my 4 year old granddaughter.

What is up with the wx? Going toward the middle of Oct. and still haven't had a frost yet. Trees act like they don't know whether to turn! Hope this isn't an indication of what the winter is going to be. Last year was pretty slow getting started. Just have to wait and see I guess.

Enough rambling, hope everyone has had a good summer and a better winter coming. 10,000 miles would be nice for me! More than that would be a bonus.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...