$1 Cdn = $1 US

Mid Range

Maine will not have you pay the sales tax at the dealer, they may have you sign something stating it will be reg'd and used out of state.

Bunch of guys in Maine have had there used sleds head towards Canada this fall because of the exchange rate. I should probably think about doing that with mine.

I'll sell you my sled delivered to Nova Scotia for 3-4k more than its worth. That sucks for you guys in Canada. Im sure theres a way if your buying a sled,cash, that an american friend could deliver it into Canada for you and just make a used bill of sale??Ive never been questioned at all about sleds on a trailer at customs and Ive even rode through customs without a Quebec trail pass, got it at the gas station 1 mile over the border. Just a thought!?! I know I pay enough taxes to support atleast 3 full families on welfare! It wouldnt hurt my feelings to see someone save a little $$$

I'll sell you my sled delivered to Nova Scotia for 3-4k more than its worth. That sucks for you guys in Canada. Im sure theres a way if your buying a sled,cash, that an american friend could deliver it into Canada for you and just make a used bill of sale??Ive never been questioned at all about sleds on a trailer at customs and Ive even rode through customs without a Quebec trail pass, got it at the gas station 1 mile over the border. Just a thought!?! I know I pay enough taxes to support atleast 3 full families on welfare! It wouldnt hurt my feelings to see someone save a little $$$

I crossed the border last year with my sled in the back of my truck, and the border guy came back and asked where my plate was. I followed him to the back of the truck and looked under the tail gate of the truck and my plate was there, he said, no, the snowmobile. I said it's an NH reg and the sticker is up front. Thats the only time I've heard of that. I don't think they care if you have a trail pass at the border, thats not their responsibility, but the reg is.

I crossed the border last year with my sled in the back of my truck, and the border guy came back and asked where my plate was. I followed him to the back of the truck and looked under the tail gate of the truck and my plate was there, he said, no, the snowmobile. I said it's an NH reg and the sticker is up front. Thats the only time I've heard of that. I don't think they care if you have a trail pass at the border, thats not their responsibility, but the reg is.

I've had them ask if I was going to be coming back with the sleds, guess they want to make sure they are getting there taxes.

I would think if you go into Canada with a sled, and if they notice (IF) you don't have it comming back, it will open up a can of worms for sure.

I would think if you go into Canada with a sled, and if they notice (IF) you don't have it comming back, it will open up a can of worms for sure.

Exactly...nearly everytime for the last several years when entering canada..we we asked to show the sled registrations...told those same sleds better be coming back with us otherwise we had to show paperwork why.

We have made many trips and no one ever looked in a trailer or asked for sled registration.

They did haul our a$$es inside last year & screwed around for an hour asking us questions. Ever have a DUI? Two of us had but they were over 20 years ago. They just let us go after wasting 1 1/2 hours of our time.

:wacko:

Last year i must have crossed 5 or 6 times by sled in 4 days and never had it take longer than 2 minutes. Crossing with truck and trailer is always very fast and easy. Returning to U.S. is also easier by sled than truck. We park sleds on snow bank and walk inside customs, give tham our licences and we're on our way in 5 minutes. They dont even check our sleds!! Driving back can take a while.

Bernie.....can you tell us how you came up with 15% when the

GST (Goods and Services tax) is at 6%

PST (Provincial Sales Tax ) is at 7.5%

Thats what my wife charges 13.95% Iam shure at 15% the fellow sledder will be Okay. If he buys a YAMAHA he will see JAPANES tax. WOW$%/")(*(&

Oh..they are way beyond that...they now want to up the tax on everything and take away any tax credits.

Just wait...Mrs. Clinton wants to increase cap gains tax to atleast 30% instead of 15%. Think what that will do to the market, talk about a crash. I was the most impressed with the $5,000 to new born babies statement though!!! God help us if she wins... :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...

Where is it gonna stop???? Should start thinking about a sled trip south of the border.Any good riding

down the states?? :unknw:

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2007/11/02/dollarrise.html

Loonie tops $1.07 US on strong job growth

Last Updated: Friday, November 2, 2007 | 8:41 AM ET

CBC News

The Canadian dollar surged again following the release on Friday of figures showing much better employment growth in Canada and the United States than expected.

The loonie gained 2.06 cents US from Thursday's close on foreign exchange markets to trade at $1.0718 US

The Canadian economy added 63,000 jobs in October, pushing the jobless rate down 0.1 of a percentage point to 5.8 per cent — a 33-year low.

U.S. job growth was also much stronger than expected in October, adding 166,000 jobs when about 80,000 additions had been expected.

A weakening U.S. dollar, a cut in U.S. interest rates, economic concerns south of the border, strong oil prices and a healthy Canadian economy have all combined to push the loonie sharply higher.

The loonie hit parity with the U.S. dollar on Sept. 20 — a first in 30 years. Earlier this week, the Canadian dollar surpassed its previous post-war high of $1.0614 US, set in August 1957.

We were talking yesterday at work (sawmill office) last March the dollar was $1.18 the other way. It was likely a couple cents more in January. That is a difference for those coming up from the south of likely 25-30% more expensive. How ever lets look at it in real numbers:

I have always based my trips on $1 per mile. (all costs in)

1 week vacation in Paradise: 275 miles per day X 7 days= $1925 plus new exchange = $2406

$481 more for the week. I wouldn't stay home because of this amount with a $10,000 sled in the garage.

Over the run of the year will you not pay your bills or miss meals because of this amount??

Life is short. This is not a dress rehearsal. You are dead forever. You only live once.......and so on....

Are my numbers close or am I way off?? What do you think??

We were talking yesterday at work (sawmill office) last March the dollar was $1.18 the other way. It was likely a couple cents more in January. That is a difference for those coming up from the south of likely 25-30% more expensive. How ever lets look at it in real numbers:

I have always based my trips on $1 per mile. (all costs in)

1 week vacation in Paradise: 275 miles per day X 7 days= $1925 plus new exchange = $2406

$481 more for the week. I wouldn't stay home because of this amount with a $10,000 sled in the garage.

Over the run of the year will you not pay your bills or miss meals because of this amount??

Life is short. This is not a dress rehearsal. You are dead forever. You only live once.......and so on....

Are my numbers close or am I way off?? What do you think??

Steven I have a good friend who put it all in perspective for me one day when we were talking about gas prices etc. I mentioned that the price of gas had increased recently here in New Brunswick and I asked him the price in his province. His reply was ANDY THERE ARE 2 THINGS IN LIFE YOU NEED AND IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT THE COST IS #1 BEER #2 GAS. Well after that conversation I stopped worring about these little things and I group sledding in with #1 & #2. I could not agree more with your statement about life being short as you & I both know things can change in an instant forever.

Andy

Steven I have a good friend who put it all in perspective for me one day when we were talking about gas prices etc. I mentioned that the price of gas had increased recently here in New Brunswick and I asked him the price in his province. His reply was ANDY THERE ARE 2 THINGS IN LIFE YOU NEED AND IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT THE COST IS #1 BEER #2 GAS. Well after that conversation I stopped worring about these little things and I group sledding in with #1 & #2. I could not agree more with your statement about life being short as you & I both know things can change in an instant forever.

Andy

Finally, some people with their heads screwed on RIGHT! :good:

Mark :drinks:

Your right Mid Range. But did you know that Americans and all other tourist will not be getting back a 7% percent on rooms and other things they purchase in Canada. the government put a stop to this. How do you think they put the G.P.S. down 1% for Canadians. I could never undrstand this system. I do not get sales tax back when i buy in the states. That is why i am giving 10% of the price of the rooms. Witch i hope will help my sledding Friends. The way things are going the Chines will all have cars. and we will be riding Scooters,then Bicycles,then horses,then you walk. Don"t learn French, learn Chinese. They have already started building Bicycle trails all over Quebec. We will be poor but in good shape. We will die old but in perfect condition. In three words WE ARE F%$?KED.

It is because the 6% includes the 7.5% in its calculation. :wacko: So you are getting taxed on a tax!!!! :help:

Mark :drinks: