Pics from the Peaks

revct1

Here are some pics that Sandi & I took Jan 23rd & 24th before the rain came.

These are from the new scenic overlooks in the Mont Valin area.

You have to see these in person. The pics do not do them justice.

The first pics are Lac du Syndicat which is the overlook off of Bras de l'Enfer which is a local trail between trail 93 and 328

This is probably the steepest climb

post-297-1264537762_thumb.jpg

post-297-1264537800_thumb.jpg

post-297-1264537821_thumb.jpg

post-297-1264537836_thumb.jpg

It is steep.

post-297-1264537851_thumb.jpg

The next pics are from the overlook that is off Bras Louis

A little steep but not as tough as Bras de l'Enfer Lac du Syndicat

post-297-1264537864_thumb.jpg

post-297-1264537880_thumb.jpg

Beautiful view of Valinouet

post-297-1264537893_thumb.jpg

The next ones are from the overlook of Lac Boivin on trail 93 just after La Chapelle

Not too steep

post-297-1264538072_thumb.jpg

post-297-1264538017_thumb.jpg

post-297-1264538030_thumb.jpg

post-297-1264538044_thumb.jpg

Coming back down the access trail looking at Lac Jalobert

post-297-1264538057_thumb.jpg

These are from the overlook of Monts Ste Marguerite

An easy climb

The first 4 miles on the access trail is flat and then the last mile is a slight climb

When we reached the overlook, I couldn't figure out how we got so high

AWESOME!

post-297-1264538087_thumb.jpg

post-297-1264538099_thumb.jpg

post-297-1264538112_thumb.jpg

The last group of pics aren't from a summit but from the local trail from Bras Louis to Onatchiway

post-297-1264537908_thumb.jpg

post-297-1264537921_thumb.jpg

post-297-1264537933_thumb.jpg

post-297-1264537945_thumb.jpg

post-297-1264537962_thumb.jpg

post-297-1264537974_thumb.jpg

post-297-1264537997_thumb.jpg

If you're on the mountain, bring your camera and spend a little time on these overlooks. They are breathtaking.

Jack & Sandi :drinks:

• 2 weeks later...

We went to the peaks from 1/25 to 1/27. We got some of the rain too, heavy at times. We just pushed through. I wish I waited until this week to ride the area. We stayed at HI for two nights and at Passion/Valinouet for two nights. We had a good time nonetheless.

Saguenay Bill was and always is extremely helpful on where and what to do. He helps with breakdowns too.

Doo D

We went to the peaks from 1/25 to 1/27. We got some of the rain too, heavy at times. We just pushed through. I wish I waited until this week to ride the area. We stayed at HI for two nights and at Passion/Valinouet for two nights. We had a good time nonetheless.

Saguenay Bill was and always is extremely helpful on where and what to do. He helps with breakdowns too.

Doo D

post-623-1265661303.jpg

post-623-1265661519.jpg

Edited by Doo D

I looks like there is allot of snow, We where told by a local dealer in Chicoutimi that there isn't allot of snow around the Valins this year. Headed that way in March hopefully, will be going around the lake and over to the mountains.

• 10 months later...

Our first trip here this year. :yahoo: We started riding yesterday, Tuesday Dec 28th. If everything goes well, we will ride for six days which will make our last day on the trails Sunday, Jan 2nd. We are not staying at the HI. We stay with snowmobile friends :friends: who happen to stay at the Sagueneene.

They rode a little bit on Monday before we arrived. They rode out of the Hotel Sagueneene and said the conditions were fair in town but better on the north side of the river.

Tuesday we decided to trailer to Valinouét and then ride Mount Valin. We took trial 93 to La Chapelle. I thought we were in NJ. There was two feet of snow on the trails. :p It was ten o’clock and not too busy. We had a quick coffee and then continued on 93 to Lac des Six Milles and on to the C900. We then headed north to make a loop back to La Chapelle on local trail 252 and 251 by Lac aux Brumes.

Lunch was at La Chapelle. We arrived just after noon. The place was packed. It looked like mid January. We had to wait a few minutes to get four seats. We talked to a couple of other riders later that night that had ate at the Auberge 31 and they said that the Auberge was also packed.

We left La Chapelle and headed back on 93 to local trail 267, to Bras Louis and then back to Valinouét.

Now the trail report. Considering that it is early in the season, all of the trails had been groomed within the past few days. :clapping: There were many sleds out but the trails were still good. C900 was very good. Trail 267 to Bras Louis was the best we have seen it in a long time. The other trails were good.

Wednesday we again trailered to Valinouét. Our destination was Scoobyraid for lunch. We headed west on 93 until the big intersection with trail 328. We turned right onto 328 still heading west. 93 was good but 328 was poor. It may be bad timing on my part but this section of 328 is always poor when I’m on it. :nea: When we reached trail 476 which goes north to Onatchiway, it was groomed. It was time to change the lunch menu to Onatchiway. Scoobyraid will just have to wait. :sorry: 476 was a mixed bag of very good to this section must be new, it is skinny and look at all those sticks in the trail. Overall, 476 was pretty good.

Onatchiway was almost full with the lunch crowd. Another good Quebec lunch and we are back on the trail. We headed east on trail 477 to Bras Louis. The logging operation that was going on last year is now gone. 477 is now last year’s logging road. It runs parallel with the old trail from last year but is wider and nicer. When we reached Bras Louis, we decided to turn left and make a longer loop to get back to Valinouét. Bras Louis would have been a little quicker but we remembered how nice 267 was. When we reached 93, we turned right heading back to Valinouét.

We were still a little early so we decided to go up to the top of Pic du Mont Tremblay. This is the overlook that is one mile south of Valinouét. This overlook was open early last year and then was closed because most sleds could not climb the very last section. This year the very top of the trail has been rerouted to the right and circles around to the back side of the peak and then ends on the top. This trail is STEEP. :unsure: The view is fantastic. We didn’t have a camera so I can’t post any pictures but it is worth the ride up.

Tomorrow we are going to try to ride out of the hotel and head south to have lunch in L’Etape. More reports will be coming soon.

Side note: I exchanged US dollars here today at the Banque Nationale. The exchange rate was .96. That seems bad but what is worse is that it is not 96¢ US equals $1 Canadian it is $1 US equals 96¢ Canadian. :cray: Oh well. Nobody ever said it was a cheap hobby.

See you soon.

Jack & Sandi :hi:

Edited by revct1

Today we rode out of the Hotel Sagueneene. We took 83 west to the HI where we filled up with gas. Not too much activity there but we did see sled tracks. We continued on 83 for a short distance, went under the highway and then took 383 south.

After a couple of miles there was a “cul de sac” sign. The trail was recently “rough” groomed so we kept going. We went a few more miles and came to another “cul de sac” sign. This one was on 383 at the junction with local trail 8 that goes west back to join 83. There weren’t many sled tracks so we decided to turn around and head back to 83.

We continued on a bumpy 83 and took local trail 4 down to Lac Kenogami. Ten miles of smooth Lac Kenogami and back on 83. A groomer had recently passed. The trail was good. We continued on 83 to the junction with 23 and headed south. 23 was also recently groomed. We arrived at Relais Apica for lunch.

A groomer had pulled into Relais Apica that had come from the direction of L’Etape while we were having lunch. It was a tough decision but it was getting late and we decided to head back to the hotel after lunch. Originally we were going to ride to L’Etape, but it would have made it too late. We returned via the same trails.

The trails were everything from poor to very good. There was some snirt, some wet spots, sticks in the trails and other areas looked like mid January.

It is still early in the season and there isn’t a lot of base yet. Right after the groomer the trails are pretty good but traffic beats the trails quickly.

The weather forecast is predicting rain for Friday and into Saturday. We will see what happens.

Jack & Sandi

Well, a change of plans. Listening to the weather predictions for the next few days was depressing this morning :( . +5°C and rain for the Saguenay region. I checked the forecast for Mont Valin and even there above freezing temperatures and rain was predicted for Friday (today) and Saturday. 1 mm of rain on Friday and 5 - 10 mm of rain on Saturday. Sunday morning’s prediction was for drizzle in the morning and then clearing and finally cooler in the afternoon.

Since we’re planning to make Sunday the last ride day, we decided to pack it in and head back to the States. I couldn't sit in a hotel room for 2 or 3 days watching it rain :nea: .

When we left in the truck this morning at 9 AM, it was -4°C and drizzle. All the way to Quebec City it was between -4°C and +2°C with rain or drizzle or freezing rain. The rest of the ride was dry but still above freezing.

We are now back in CT. Next trip scheduled for Martin Luther King weekend. Hopefully there will be some snow and the trails will recover.

See you then :drinks: .

Oh, one last note. The road, route 175, from Quebec City to Chicoutimi is almost complete. At the Quebec City end, there is a section thru Stoneham that is still the old road. Once you get past Stoneham, the road is a four lane diveided highway all the way to Chicoutimi except for 1 mile at the Alma route 169 turn off.

Jack & Sandi :)

• 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...