Return to the Basket thong

Je me souviens

We took our yearly autumnal trip to les hautes laurentides region.  Put on just shy of 500 miles on the batmobile.  Friday’s loop took Sonny and I up to the eastern side of the Petawaga.  Highlights included a moose, a fisher and a full size Winnebago towing a side by side.
Saturday’s loop stared with a quick trip into Sainte Anne du Lac for fuel with Shannon. Then the afternoon loop mom and I headed on the west side of the Petawaga until we popped out on le Chemin L’epine.  We turned right and rode up to le Pensive, met the new owners, and chatted about sleds, and made our way back to camp from the top side of the Petawaga, a fox was our only sighting.
Sunday I took dad up and around Notawissi, back down to town, around the lake, and back up through the east side of the Mithcimanecus.  We popped out on la route a Parent, then headed south almost to Meekoos before heading back east into SADL, fueled back up and went back to camp.  Highlight was a deer.  When I got back Tyler wanted to go for a rip, so I took him up to snake falls.  
This morning I took a quick solo rip up to the fork for club Gatineau, then sadly headed back to park it on the trailer for the ride home.

Gas in town was 1.60, the outfitters are currently at 2.40.

I never ended up going to check out the new observation tower on top of Devil’s mountain, lots of traffic and boulder dash trails.  I prefer to run the forest roads.  Here are some pics.

8BEFAF99-D446-4133-BDF5-02C2D09813FE.jpeg

7 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

BEAUTEOUS!  Trip & pics!  Thanks for sharing!

Congrats, sounds like you've earned Father-of- & Son-of the-Year awards!

Ditto to what Playhard said. I would have loved to do all that in a sidexside. Hope to run into you again this winter.

BTW...what registration/insurance/trail pass ?? does it take to legally run the trails up there with those machines ?

I will tap my head again if I see your fluorescent helmet coming….lol

Registration is not possible because in New York State you cannot register an ATV that weighs more than 999 pounds. To my knowledge a non resident cannot register an ATV in Quebec, please correct me if I am wrong.
Trail pass is purchased through the sister station to the FMCQ, they call it the FQCQ. They offer annual or summer only.  I have personal insurance just like the sleds, the trail pass also includes insurance, minimum coverage is $1M in liability.  
Long story short, if you are cruising the trails around town things may be different, in the bush we cruise a lot of logging roads that are not part of the established network.  “Hors Sentiers” the only type of law enforcement I have ever come across in the bush was a forest ranger who was checking hunting licenses.  She saw no rifles in the buggy and sent us on our way.  Columbus day weekend is typically opening weekend for moose hunting by rifle, so we stay on the main road “le maitre chemin” and no one seems to get too excited. Now if you start exploring all the side trails where the tree stands are you might have a few more holes in the buggy than when you started…