Trip Planning/ River Crossing

wng-2

Hello, my friends and I are planning to finally come back to Quebec this season. We typically leave from Northern Maine. My friend would like to revisit the North Shore/Saguenay region. Looking at the map, it looks like there is a section of Trail 3 on the North Shore that is closed. Is that expected to be the case this coming season? 

That would prevent us from taking the ferry from Matane to Baie Comeau, and running trail 3 South. If this is indeed the case, what is the best option for getting across via a hired trailer at Quebec City? Thanks very much. Very much looking forward to riding in Quebec again.

There is a way to get though that area. You will get help for sure from people on this sight. 

It’s been about a month since l have seen an update on the trail 3 closure. At that time the message was the clubs have a reroute planned but due to difficulty getting permits and other challenges it didn’t look like reroute would be open this winter.

Last winter there was a couple of towing services offering flatbed shuttle service. Saw one post last year and the cost was ridiculous, another group posted and they paid a reasonable rate but l don’t recall the actual cost.

There is a shuttle service at Quebec City but l don’t know the contacts. Someone here will know.

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_10/8395DD43-71D0-4591-91D4-ADC4A5D1FBDA.thumb.png.5f8a02f2f9ed0d6d67d3b718e973da16.png

Try calling this number. It’s been 5-6 years since I’ve used them. Hopefully they’re still in business or know of someone. 

Edited by Florida Snowman

21 minutes ago, Florida Snowman said:

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_10/8395DD43-71D0-4591-91D4-ADC4A5D1FBDA.thumb.png.5f8a02f2f9ed0d6d67d3b718e973da16.png

Try calling this number. It’s been 5-6 years since I’ve used them. Hopefully they’re still in business or know of someone. 

Yep still in business, I used them last year.

I read somewhere in the last few months of a couple of riders that used one of the shuttles (roll back tow truck) to get around the closed section of TQ3. The poster commented that the service was great and total cost was $135.00 I believe. Mentioned that there were options for where you got dropped off. Unfortunately, I can't find that post.  Hopefully the following link might help you.

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2021_12/269689977_4111565845612335_784071958539389807_n.jpg.e9eac815160d0b327b2270faa10207f5.jpg

You need to decide which way you want to go. Crossing at QC city eliminates any issues with using the ferry which can be iffy to put it mildly.

However maybe cross with the ferry matane to Baie Comeau then take the flatbed to fortestville and return through Quebec or vice versa.

do not hold your breath for the TQ3 to be rerouted and ready to ride this season. I do not see it happening.

flat bed service post is here

1 hour ago, iceman said:

You need to decide which way you want to go. Crossing at QC city eliminates any issues with using the ferry which can be iffy to put it mildly.

However maybe cross with the ferry matane to Baie Comeau then take the flatbed to fortestville and return through Quebec or vice versa.

do not hold your breath for the TQ3 to be rerouted and ready to ride this season. I do not see it happening.

flat bed service post is here

Thanks, if my friend is insistent on the Lac St Jean region, then we will leave from Western Maine and deal with the trailer at Quebec City. Sounds like things have changed with the ferry. Years ago I had no problems, I would keep a printed schedule with me, and just show up in plenty of time, and never had a problem. I suspect nowadays a reservation is prudent? If the trail 3 issue is not resolved, which it doesn't sound like it will be, then I won't be needing the ferry. 

17 hours ago, Shore1066 said:

There is a way to get though that area. You will get help for sure from people on this sight. 

Anyone knows what club maintained the trial before it was closed?