Trip Planned

Snowbunny

Hi Everyone,

I am starting at Grand Remous heading up to Val D'Or through the Laverendrye Park, then from Val D'or to Clova, and back to Grand Remous. We are leaving next weekend Feb 19th-21st

We haven't gone through the Laverendrye park before, should we get gas at Joncas before we take that trail? We have E-Tec's so we get good gas mileage, but I just want to be sure.

Has anyone been from Grand Remous to Joncas latey? There were lots of sticks poking out of the snow from Le Domaine to Joncas a few weeks ago when we were up, is the trail any better?

I will be sure to take lots of pictures for a trail report.

Hi Everyone,

I am starting at Grand Remous heading up to Val D'Or through the Laverendrye Park, then from Val D'or to Clova, and back to Grand Remous. We are leaving next weekend Feb 19th-21st

We haven't gone through the Laverendrye park before, should we get gas at Joncas before we take that trail? We have E-Tec's so we get good gas mileage, but I just want to be sure.

Has anyone been from Grand Remous to Joncas latey? There were lots of sticks poking out of the snow from Le Domaine to Joncas a few weeks ago when we were up, is the trail any better?

Sorry I can't help with any info, but I am doing a trip to that area on the 25th. Any info or reports on conditions would be appreciated...Good Luck

Thanks

Kel

we left from there this weekend. gas up at le domaine and then at the Indian reserve 110 miles, no need to go to Jonas for their over priced gas. Then fill up at Louvicourt if you want or go straight to Val D'or, its about 75 miles from reserve to Val D'or and overall about 5 hrs riding. Trails were good but still have some tigs sticking out of the snow but they are well worn and don't bother anything.

Have not gone from Val D'or to Clova this year so I can not comment on trails but likely the same overall. Gas is not a problem so long as you fill up in the main centres.

Mike

Hi Everyone,

We will probably cross our path since we will be riding the Park same day from Val d'Or (Feb 19th). 3 red Polaris.Check it out!!

We will probably cross our path since we will be riding the Park same day from Val d'Or (Feb 19th). 3 red Polaris.Check it out!!

:good: We will be heading up through the park on the 19th so I'm sure we will cross paths. Two E-Tec's one pink and white, one 50th anniversary, MXZ (my dad) and a Yami (my cousin). My cousin hasn't ridden the trails up in Abitibi before so he's in for a big treat.

Hey Bunny... I will be riding from Temiscaming to Joncas via Rapides-des-Joachims on the 12th and then from Joncas to Amos on the 14th will post from Amosphere on the 14th and let you know how the Park is. Avoid Joncas to Belleterre 40 KM of road running just befor Belleterre, logging is over but they need more snow to cover the rocks on the road.

Hey Bunny... I will be riding from Temiscaming to Joncas via Rapides-des-Joachims on the 12th and then from Joncas to Amos on the 14th will post from Amosphere on the 14th and let you know how the Park is. Avoid Joncas to Belleterre 40 KM of road running just befor Belleterre, logging is over but they need more snow to cover the rocks on the road.

Thanks for the reply! We rode a few years ago from Joncas to Belleterre to Val D'Or it was great but there was a lot more snow that year.

We've book the hotels, Harricana is full for next weekend. We are staying at the Forestel.

Our good sledding friend, who beat us to the trails, is in Louvicourt (Val D'Or hotels are heavily booked for the week)already having a blast. If you are around Val D'Or this weekend look for the lone sledder on the Ski Doo and say hi.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back. Trip was great, well for me. We had to leave my cousin in Clova with his broken down Yami, costly drive to Mont Laurier.

PLEASE NOTE: Anyone going from Clova to Le Classic, Mc Dault did NOT have gas. It's a 220km stretch, pretty long if you don't have good fuel economy.

I will post pictures tomorrow. A bit tired. It's been a long trip with some great trails and lots of snow.

Oh and we passed Mid Range and his gang on Day 1.

Just got back. Trip was great, well for me. We had to leave my cousin in Clova with his broken down Yami, costly drive to Mont Laurier.

PLEASE NOTE: Anyone going from Clova to Le Classic, Mc Dault did NOT have gas. It's a 220km stretch, pretty long if you don't have good fuel economy.

I will post pictures tomorrow. A bit tired. It's been a long trip with some great trails and lots of snow.

Oh and we passed Mid Range and his gang on Day 1.

Hi Snowbunny....yes I saw you guys.Were you riding the white sled? We,too,had issues with one sled shortly after we passed you.

is there not another stop for gas near the old Mcdault, i know in the past there was. Let me know

Thanks

No there's none.Antre II north of mcdault is closed this year

Hi Snowbunny....yes I saw you guys.Were you riding the white sled? We,too,had issues with one sled shortly after we passed you.

No there's none.Antre II north of mcdault is closed this year

Thanks, thats the one i was thinking. Will they be getting more fuel or is that it for the season, any word?

Not an issue for me but for some it will be.

There wasn't any word on when they would be getting gas at Mc Dault. A big issue...we passed a lot of sleds heading to Clova...they were running fast...no sign of any extra gas cans...I bet they ran out.

I heard that Mc Dault had their tanks filled for the winter, but with high traffic they have run out. In the past they snowmobiled the gas there to sell. There is no other place to get gas on this stretch.

Some people were changing their route and taking an extra day by going to Parent, then down to Le Classic.

Seeing as the Park is in such good condition and there is no problem with gas there we are going back through on Saturday. We are taking a three day run starting Saturday the 27th at Le Domaine through the park to Amos. We will probably stay Sunday in Val D'Or and then head back through the park to Le Domaine

We had planned to start our trip in Ville Marie, but my brother was out that way a week ago and said the 309 from Ville Marie to Rapid Sept wasn't in good condition (lots of rocks).

Mid Range- Yup, my sled is the white one. My boyfriend's sled just barely made it to Le Classic. His is the 50th anniversary edition sled bought last year. The primary and secondary clutch were rubbing against each other. We brought it to the dealership yesterday to get fixed and found some kind of mount had completely come loose :fool: Not impressed.

Edited by Snowbunny

Hello everyone as a newbie member to the site from Ontario i was wondering about conditions up in Abitibi. A crew of Apex's are heading out of Temiscaming on Monday. I was curious about the conditions on our route and anything i should be concerned about that is out of the ordinary i.e. gas shortage or poor trails.

Day 1: Temiscaming to La Sarre

Day 2: La Sarre via Matagami to Lebel Sur-Quevillon

Day 3: Lebel to Val d'or

Day 4: Around Val d'or

Day 5: Val d'or to Temiscaming

I realize it's pretty high miles but are crew is a young bunch and we like to roll. I do see from the trail reports it's poor to good...being from Ontario - Quebec's poor is Ontario's Good...lol

Any helpful information or insight would be appreciated. Hope everyone's season has been going well.

Hello everyone as a newbie member to the site from Ontario i was wondering about conditions up in Abitibi. A crew of Apex's are heading out of Temiscaming on Monday. I was curious about the conditions on our route and anything i should be concerned about that is out of the ordinary i.e. gas shortage or poor trails.

Day 1: Temiscaming to La Sarre

Day 2: La Sarre via Matagami to Lebel Sur-Quevillon

Day 3: Lebel to Val d'or

Day 4: Around Val d'or

Day 5: Val d'or to Temiscaming

I realize it's pretty high miles but are crew is a young bunch and we like to roll. I do see from the trail reports it's poor to good...being from Ontario - Quebec's poor is Ontario's Good...lol

Any helpful information or insight would be appreciated. Hope everyone's season has been going well.

After talking abou trail conditions with a few people we met, apparently Matagami does not have much snow and the trail has just been opened. Some people we met, who were from Val D'Or, said they tried to go up to Matagami but oddly there wasn't enough snow on the trail. You may not want to go this way.

After talking abou trail conditions with a few people we met, apparently Matagami does not have much snow and the trail has just been opened. Some people we met, who were from Val D'Or, said they tried to go up to Matagami but oddly there wasn't enough snow on the trail. You may not want to go this way.

I'm hoping that this weeks light snow will improve conditions enough to make it passable. It's going to be a last minute decision based on the local knowledge i can gather next week.

Trip Report #2

Day 1

We dropped the sleds off at Le Domaine and went through the Laverendrye Park up to Louvicourt, across to Val D'Or, up to Amos. We stayed the night at the Amosphere. Trails were not in as good condition as the week before when we were up. The snow had melted a fair bit in some spots. Le Domaine the trails were ok, then the trails got better towards the indian reserve. They hadn't groomed the Laverendrye Park trail since we were last up so there were lots of moguls on the corners. The trail from Louvicourt to Val D'Or had taken a beating as we met lots of sleds and the sugar like snow was pushed around a lot. There is still a good amount of snow but the trail conditions varied a lot this day due to grooming and traffic.

There was a wash out in the Laverendrye Park about 5km out of the Indian reserve to Louvicourt. There was also a creek begininng to open about 15km outside of Louvicourt.

Day 2

We drove from Amos to Barrute, to Sennetere. We drove from Sennetere to Louvicourt, then to the Harricana for lunch and back to the Forstel so we could watch the game. Oddly enough the Harricana doesn't serve lunch...argh....reluctantly they made us poutine. We won't be going back there. The 309 from Val D'Or to the Harricana was the worst trail of the entire trip. Beaten to heck, full of moguls, so we took the lake back to and skipped some of the crappy trail. The trails around Sennetere were MINT the best trails of the trip. Val D'Or was out grooming after day 1 so the trails were a lot better, but pretty hard in the morning.

Day 3

We drove from Val D'Or to Le Domaine through the Laverendrye Park. We hit the first washout 15km from Louvicourt it wasn't too deep and we made it across, not far after there was another washout developing. We decided to take the road into the Indian Reserve because the first washout was so much larger than when we passed two days ago. We didn't want to break our sleds. We had filled up in Louvicourt with gas and thank goodness.

Again we had trouble getting gas! The Indian Reserve had run out, we passed through at about 10:30am, they were expecting a truck around 1pm. We have E Tecs so we kept on going. Close to the T in the trail where you can go to Joncas or go to Val D'Or there is a a trailer that sells gas. They were out TOO. We had an extra gas can, so we didn't fill up in at Pourviorie Laverendrye. We had no problem with the E Tecs making to Domaine (230km or so). We did warn a few sledders we met about the gas problems through the Park.

From the trailer to Le Domaine was rough with lots of moguls and sugar snow. The analysis: if it gets really cold up north it will become really icy if it doesn't snow. They coud use more snow in some areas but all in all the trails are passable to good. If it stays warm up North the creeks will continue to open up.

NOTE: Carry extra gas this year if you are going up. So far we've been unlucky with getting gas, thank goodness we have E Tec's, if we had my old Polaris I would have been screwed. I hate being towed as I'm sure everyone else does too.

Some Pics~ this may be our last trip of the season unless we trailer to Val D'Or or the groundhog was right when he predicted more winter to come.

post-598-1267539110_thumb.jpg

Amos Club's welcome

post-598-1267539044_thumb.jpg

Harricana Front View

post-598-1267538983_thumb.jpg

Barrute Skil Hill

post-598-1267538910_thumb.jpg

Top view of the trail through the Park

post-598-1267538839_thumb.jpg

Through the park, taking off the layers it's really warm!