Label-Sur-Quevillon accomodations

Stayed at Motel du Lac years ago, nothing special but it works if that’s the spot you need to be in.  There is another one in town called Motel Iris.  The trail went right through the yard of the one we stayed at.

I do recall that little pizza place was pretty good.  Sorry to take this post off track, but here I go… Funny story.  The second time I ate at that pizza joint my wife and I were passing through LSQ on our way to Matagami for the night, and stopped there for lunch.  I went outside for a second and one of the other customers had one of the Cat T660’s from back in the day.  They offered a remote starter on that sled.  So the guy hit the button as I walked past the sled to see my reaction as they were watching from inside.  I laughed because I knew a guy that had one and he told me about the remote start option.  So when I went back inside we all had a great laugh.  So the group asked where we were heading, and when I replied they said they were headed to the same place, so we teamed up, and travelled together for the next two days.  The second morning we were talking on the side of the trail when I noticed one guy was missing the breather flap on his BV2S helmet.  So I said your teeth must be cold.  He looked surprised and said how did you know that?  I said because I can see a piece your missing.  I had seen this issue pop up before and make life really uncomfortable for a friend. Ever since that day I carry spares.  So I fixed his helmet and off we went.  Later that night at dinner he wanted to pay me for the part, i told him thanks but no thanks, they cost almost nothing, you just have to have it when you need it.  To this day I still call that man once a year.  Turns out he was the club president in his region, Serge McDonaugh…doesn’t speak a lick of English mind you….lol.  His plane is the one you can see in the picture in front of the store in Clova on Dominic’s website.  Sorry for the long story about nothing more than snowmobiling tales…. Shit it’s why we are all here right?

398EE95C-882D-44B3-9685-143C8AF7F287.jpeg

9 hours ago, Je me souviens said:

I do recall that little pizza place was pretty good.  Sorry to take this post off track, but here I go… Funny story.  The second time I ate at that pizza joint my wife and I were passing through LSQ on our way to Matagami for the night, and stopped there for lunch.  I went outside for a second and one of the other customers had one of the Cat T660’s from back in the day.  They offered a remote starter on that sled.  So the guy hit the button as I walked past the sled to see my reaction as they were watching from inside.  I laughed because I knew a guy that had one and he told me about the remote start option.  So when I went back inside we all had a great laugh.  So the group asked where we were heading, and when I replied they said they were headed to the same place, so we teamed up, and travelled together for the next two days.  The second morning we were talking on the side of the trail when I noticed one guy was missing the breather flap on his BV2S helmet.  So I said your teeth must be cold.  He looked surprised and said how did you know that?  I said because I can see a piece your missing.  I had seen this issue pop up before and make life really uncomfortable for a friend. Ever since that day I carry spares.  So I fixed his helmet and off we went.  Later that night at dinner he wanted to pay me for the part, i told him thanks but no thanks, they cost almost nothing, you just have to have it when you need it.  To this day I still call that man once a year.  Turns out he was the club president in his region, Serge McDonaugh…doesn’t speak a lick of English mind you….lol.  His plane is the one you can see in the picture in front of the store in Clova on Dominic’s website.  Sorry for the long story about nothing more than snowmobiling tales…. Shit it’s why we are all here right?

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_10/398EE95C-882D-44B3-9685-143C8AF7F287.thumb.jpeg.bd7e35db3bc2f527a29bd1341d8984e7.jpeg

Great story. I love the trails up around LSQ. Have stayed at Motel du Lac several times while passing through as well as a launch point on a couple occasions. 

It's a LONG LONG drive from Rochester to Lebel......LOL

Thx sounds like Motel du Lac is it.On another note we had a father /son team ride w/us 1 time a few yrs. back.Trailered to Mont Laurier and rode North.Young kids sled broke down when we got to Matagami,on a Saturday night.No shop around to help.They found some young local going to Montreal.Drove them back to Mont laurier,to get their truck and trailer.Then they drove back up to Matagami to get their sleds and drive back to Syracuse.Have not heard from them since.

The love for snowmobiling gets hard to handle when the breakdowns are so damn costly, but we doo it all over again every chance we get, must be something wrong with us to want it that bad.  Or maybe the throttle therapy is just that good in Quebec?

Google maps tells me it’s almost 600 miles one way from Rochester to LSQ. That is pretty serious.  I have heard complaints from some of the local crew for the 200 miles to my usual destinations.  It’s all about perspective I guess.  

50C7B071-E9D9-4481-87DF-8E0DCDD5E907.jpeg

3 hours ago, Je me souviens said:

The love for snowmobiling...we doo it all over again every chance we get, must be something wrong with us to want it that bad....the throttle therapy is just that good in Quebec...That is pretty serious...It’s all about perspective I guess.  

Uh huh!  Amen!  & Hallelujah!

Why would anyone want to drive in a truck 600 miles when you can start in mt Laura and ride your sled the rest of the way.  Lol.

1 hour ago, Shore1066 said:

Why would anyone want to drive in a truck 600 miles when you can start in mt Laura and ride your sled the rest of the way.  Lol.

Hard core chase the snow.

2 hours ago, William Gaf Gaffney said:

Hard core chase the snow.

Exactly. BECAUSE there was NO ridable trail (at least my thresh hold) anywhere near Mt Laurier or other places when I/we did that. 

Over the years if you wanted to get GOOD before Christmas riding in you had to go to Mt Valin or northern Abitibi. Hell, I remember about 10-12 yrs ago driving from Honeoye, NY to St Honore to get 2.5/3 days of good riding in. There was 4 ft on the level and they were grooming. The date.....(I remember it well)...November 13, 14th & 15th. 

Another time....SOLO no less, left Honeoye on Christmas day early afternoon. Pulled into Relais 22 at midnight. Spent the night in an completely empty bunkhouse. The next morning I got on my 0 mile 2004 Rev 800 and rode to Roverval where I spent the night. Next morning I got up, rode back to the "22" , got in the truck and drove back to Honeoye. 160+ miles on new sled. Almost 1200 mi. on GET THIS.....wifes brand new COMPANY Chevy Venture van with paid gas card. Only caveat was I had to have a 170.00 hitch put on. This shit would NEVER happen nowadays....LOL

with todays gas prices and inflation you wont see me taking those bonzi short trips anymore. The good ole days are sadly over.

4 hours ago, Shore1066 said:

Going the extra miles over the years to where your average person wont has rewarded me ten fold over the years. wouldnt change a thing if i had to do it all over again. LOL.....

23 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

The next morning I got on my 0 mile 2004 Rev 800 and rode to Roverval where I spent the night. Next morning I got up, rode back to the "22" , got in the truck and drove back to Honeoye. 160+ miles on new sled. Almost 1200 mi. on GET THIS.....wifes brand new COMPANY Chevy Venture van with paid gas card. Only caveat was I had to have a 170.00 hitch put on. This shit would NEVER happen nowadays....LOL

Is your 1200 back together or do you have a new ride?

6 hours ago, smclelan said:

My 1200 was down since last winter with a charging system gremlin. The mechanic would work at it in his spare time.  He missed a bad spot in the flywheel when he took it apart. He said it is good for another 23,000 miles!  Hard to beat when they run.

When I picked the sled up from dealer in LaTuque in March they had swapped out temp sensor and water pump as well as all coolant. They had an issue refilling/burping ?? and were actually on the phone with BRP. Said it was still overheating. Unfortunately it was late season and I didnt get a chance to test it myself. After screwing around with it at home in the spring I still have mixed feelings of the motor being bad or not. I tested for exhaust gas leaks in coolant, comprssion and leak down tests off each cylinder and they all checked good. I unknowingly created a mess while pressure testing the cooling system. When you pressurize off the coolant bottle (all checked good overnight) and go to release your in for a big surprise. Massive amounts of coolant came backwards spilling out even if you tried to do it slow. Anyways....topped off/refilled and started multiple times over period of days. Then i got the idea of trying to run the sled on a run up stand while spraying the heat exchangers with a garden hose. Did this several times over a period of days and was amazed to see that even in 60+ degree weather I could keep the engine temp in the 150-175 range and watch it go up and down as to how much water I was spraying. 

All I need is 5-10 minutes of riding this sled on a trail with snow and I would know if it's still good or not. Problem is I cant duplicate that until winter conditions.     The one thing that perplexed me is this and if anyone else has an opinion I would appreciate it. While I was messing around with the sled over the course of a week or so I would pull the dipstick before I started it after it was sitting all night completely cold. Sometimes the dipstick would show nothing as it's all down in the sump (normal). Other days I would pull the dipstick and it was completely full. Am I missing something on that one ??? Is it possible a gear or something is cracked in the oil pump housing and blocking the flow sometimes. I'm pondering how to educate myself on how to do an oil pressure/flow test or just say fuck it and pull the motor and replace it with the used one I bought back in April. If it is something in the oil pump area the motor has to come out anyhow.

On 10/26/2022 at 5:41 PM, snowmaster2112 said:

Exactly. BECAUSE there was NO ridable trail (at least my thresh hold) anywhere near Mt Laurier or other places when I/we did that. 

Over the years if you wanted to get GOOD before Christmas riding in you had to go to Mt Valin or northern Abitibi. Hell, I remember about 10-12 yrs ago driving from Honeoye, NY to St Honore to get 2.5/3 days of good riding in. There was 4 ft on the level and they were grooming. The date.....(I remember it well)...November 13, 14th & 15th. 

Another time....SOLO no less, left Honeoye on Christmas day early afternoon. Pulled into Relais 22 at midnight. Spent the night in an completely empty bunkhouse. The next morning I got on my 0 mile 2004 Rev 800 and rode to Roverval where I spent the night. Next morning I got up, rode back to the "22" , got in the truck and drove back to Honeoye. 160+ miles on new sled. Almost 1200 mi. on GET THIS.....wifes brand new COMPANY Chevy Venture van with paid gas card. Only caveat was I had to have a 170.00 hitch put on. This shit would NEVER happen nowadays....LOL

with todays gas prices and inflation you wont see me taking those bonzi short trips anymore. The good ole days are sadly over.

Going the extra miles over the years to where your average person wont has rewarded me ten fold over the years. wouldnt change a thing if i had to do it all over again. LOL.....

That's some funny shit right there.

A few years ago a buddy of mine and I drove to Moose Valley on the day after Thanksgiving.  They had epic snow that early.  The place wasn't even open yet, but we know the owners who said to come.  We spent 5 days there ripping on ungroomed trails because they were not allowed to groom until December 15th.  We had the place to ourselves.  Got 1100 miles on my sled before the season even opened.

1 hour ago, snowmaster2112 said:

When I picked the sled up from dealer in LaTuque in March they had swapped out temp sensor and water pump as well as all coolant. They had an issue refilling/burping ?? and were actually on the phone with BRP. Said it was still overheating. Unfortunately it was late season and I didnt get a chance to test it myself. After screwing around with it at home in the spring I still have mixed feelings of the motor being bad or not. I tested for exhaust gas leaks in coolant, comprssion and leak down tests off each cylinder and they all checked good. I unknowingly created a mess while pressure testing the cooling system. When you pressurize off the coolant bottle (all checked good overnight) and go to release your in for a big surprise. Massive amounts of coolant came backwards spilling out even if you tried to do it slow. Anyways...topped off/refilled and started multiple times over period of days. Then i got the idea of trying to run the sled on a run up stand while spraying the heat exchangers with a garden hose. Did this several times over a period of days and was amazed to see that even in 60+ degree weather I could keep the engine temp in the 150-175 range and watch it go up and down as to how much water I was spraying. 

All I need is 5-10 minutes of riding this sled on a trail with snow and I would know if it's still good or not. Problem is I cant duplicate that until winter conditions.     The one thing that perplexed me is this and if anyone else has an opinion I would appreciate it. While I was messing around with the sled over the course of a week or so I would pull the dipstick before I started it after it was sitting all night completely cold. Sometimes the dipstick would show nothing as it's all down in the sump (normal). Other days I would pull the dipstick and it was completely full. Am I missing something on that one ??? Is it possible a gear or something is cracked in the oil pump housing and blocking the flow sometimes. I'm pondering how to educate myself on how to do an oil pressure/flow test or just say fuck it and pull the motor and replace it with the used one I bought back in April. If it is something in the oil pump area the motor has to come out anyhow.

https://www.dootalk.com/threads/1200-engine-oil-level.525140/

On 10/28/2022 at 8:38 AM, dooright said:

Thanks. Yes , I have read that and every other DooTalk post on everything 1200 but still cant get the answer I'm looking for.

Why would a 1200 sometimes show full oil on dipstick when left overnight and sometimes show nothing another time ?????

If I has to guess....something broke or dislodged in the oil pump assembly and is creating havoc.

Should be it's own thread, but....... You have a very shallow oil pan, (the dip stick does not go there).  It is deep enough to cover the main bearings, thats about it. You have a dry sump system. Designed this way for 2 reasons, the engine can be mounted much lower, and more constant oil pressure regardless of tilting and tipping of the motor. 

You have an oil tank.  You can only get a valid reading after warming it up, otherwise the oil on the dipstick can read high, low, none or in the middle cold, all of those readings are invalid and NORMAL.  Depending on how hot it got, how long it sat, how you ran it, where its sitting and lots of other factors will define the cold dipstick reading.

"Under normal operating conditions the engine oil pan does not store any oil, but if the vehicle has been parked for an extended period without the engine being started, some oil will seep back into the oil pan, reducing the amount of oil held in the dry sump tank. There could be no engine oil at all showing on the level indicator.

This condition is normal since the level indicator is designed to read the engine oil level only after the engine has run long enough to reach normal operating temperature. Do not add engine oil based on cold engine level indicator readings."

If you really have low oil pressure it will light the check engine code<(P1520), and you will for sure hear some clacking from the motor.

Shocking how many engines the local dealer gets in overfilled by 1-2 quarts by customers that don't read the stickers or manuals.  The 1200 has a huge sticker right there telling folks how to check it.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by markusvt

4 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Thanks. Yes , I have read that and every other DooTalk post on everything 1200 but still cant get the answer I'm looking for.

Why would a 1200 sometimes show full oil on dipstick when left overnight and sometimes show nothing another time ?????

If I has to guess....something broke or dislodged in the oil pump assembly and is creating havoc.

I think you have a perfectly fine sled that you no longer trust.  That's a crappy situation to be in.  I've been there.  Trust the guys on here on the oil issue that it's fine and carry on.  If you cant get past the worry / reliability concerns then time to deal it.  I'd say your garden hose did a good job of simulating real world conditions and things are working.  Only thing I'd ask the dealer is was the thermostat replaced?  If not replace it.  Other than that it will be fine.  It's a 4 stroke.

On 10/28/2022 at 6:41 AM, snowmaster2112 said:

They had an issue refilling/burping?? and were actually on the phone with BRP.

Sorry, still off-topic: I don't know a lot about a lot, but it's nice to know how Joseph Armond named the company!