Buying a trail pass, what an experience.

slimjim2525

I bought my trail pass for Quebec yesterday.  As soon as you go to buy it, they force you to watch a video about going off the marked trail.  This was a surprise.  Then my credit card got denied twice.  This was from my CC tracking possible fraudulent activity.  OK, no problem, use the bank debit card.  This went through, but now my bank thought it was a fraudulent charge, and put a block on my card.  Had to call the bank to get this straightened out.  Jeez what a pain.

2 hours ago, slimjim2525 said:

I bought my trail pass for Quebec yesterday.  As soon as you go to buy it, they force you to watch a video about going off the marked trail.  This was a surprise.  Then my credit card got denied twice.  This was from my CC tracking possible fraudulent activity.  OK, no problem, use the bank debit card.  This went through, but now my bank thought it was a fraudulent charge, and put a block on my card.  Had to call the bank to get this straightened out.  Jeez what a pain.

Ontario OFSC has had a similar video watch requirement when buying permits for the second year this time around. Off trail riding on private property is a big issue with costly effects for all riders. To bad the ones causing the issues don't pay attention.

6 minutes ago, 800steve said:

Can not understand why people would ride around a sign that says Stay on Trail.  Stupidity or just think laws dont apply to everyone?

Yes it drives me crazy especially when there are signs or posts to keep riders on the groomed trail and you see tracks going out of bounds!  These riders and the ones with loud cans (often the same person) cause 95% of trail closures.

When I ordered my pass on the first day, it would not let my card go through, tried 3 times, got to watch the video all those times, said the heck with this lets try tomorrow. 

Tried again, more video, card not going through again, what the hell!  Let's go at it again, more video, but tried a different card. 

Shazam!  Guess it didn't like my 1st card.

1 hour ago, mccaffrey said:

When I ordered my pass on the first day, it would not let my card go through, tried 3 times, got to watch the video all those times, said the heck with this lets try tomorrow. 

Tried again, more video, card not going through again, what the hell!  Let's go at it again, more video, but tried a different card. 

Shazam!  Guess it didn't like my 1st card.

I guess they want you to watch the video enough times that you will not go off trail?

I am trying to figure out how to buy a trail pass without my sled having  come in yet since you are supposed to list the make model vin etc. I sent an email to FCMQ , they said sorry you can’t, not much help. When Covid hit they had a program where you could do it but I don’t see that on their website anymore…

Edited by Pipeman

Bought mine last night.  Watched the video, got most of the way through and had to go back a screen.....back to square one, had to watch the video again!  Got through the second time missed where you could decline the insurance, went back a screen again....back to the damn video again! LOL watched the video 3rd time, bought the permit at full price with insurance.  All good, see you in Quebec!

2 hours ago, Pipeman said:

I am trying to figure out how to buy a trail pass without my sled having  come in yet since you are supposed to list the make model vin etc. I sent an email to FCMQ , they said sorry you can’t, not much help. When Covid hit they had a program where you could do it but I don’t see that on their website anymore…

Do you own any sled ?  If so just get a pass for that one .   It's $30 bucks to transfer later , still saves some 

3 hours ago, Pipeman said:

I think a few years ago you could enter all XXX’s for the serial number and it would work. Then email them correct VIN# later.  

23 hours ago, smclelan said:

Bought mine last night.  Watched the video, got most of the way through and had to go back a screen.....back to square one, had to watch the video again!  Got through the second time missed where you could decline the insurance, went back a screen again....back to the damn video again! LOL watched the video 3rd time, bought the permit at full price with insurance.  All good, see you in Quebec!

I ended up buying mine at full price as well. Not sure if you noticed the $23? dollar fee they were charging for this. In the end the savings was peanuts.

Also it would be more helpful if they have a language choice for the video as I don't speak French although I get the gist of it of course. 

1 hour ago, Signfan said:

You guys did it the right way.  Pay full pop.  Then remit a refund form afterwards.  You avoid the fee and get the full insurance refund.  It is time sensitive though.

https://snowmobile.intact.ca/intact-forms/intactformsdb/webdrrcmotoneiges.do?action=web&lang=en

Did not realize that was an option.  There isn't much saving when done online.  Full refund would almost be enough to fill the sled with gas once. LOL 

Thanks for sharing that info.  

I found it to be a bit of a pain also. They seem particularly concerned about the snowmobile being owned by the person whose name the permit will be in. I suppose this has to do with the insurance piece of it. At the end of the day, it is a trail pass, not adopting a child.

90 second video in french, not a big drain on my life at this point. Same as others have reported, my go to credit card got denied several times, had to go to the debit card and it took one failed attempt and then a second good attempt. 😜

Edited by markusvt

On 11/10/2022 at 5:46 PM, smclelan said:

Your best bet is not to decline the insurance, but pay for it upfront and then apply for a full refund.  If you decline, you end up paying an administrative fee for the FCMQ's verification that you're otherwise insured.  I think you have 10 days to apply for the refund if you'd like to put those forty odd dollars back in your pocket ...