Trip Planning March 20 St Raymond, Mt Valin, Pelchat

Fuse6

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_11/521E62F4-1851-4061-8E15-5D35BA89B2F7.thumb.png.c1060c08813b8f2da6d77883c42b2374.png

One of our trips this winter planning the above loop for a group of 6 guys. One of the guys is suggesting the week of March 20th but l’m thinking that maybe a week late to assure good conditions? Remember Iceman and Playhard were up in this area for your season ender last year but l couldn’t find the post to see the dates.

I’m doing a NB/Gaspe loop Feb. 25 to March 4 with a different group of guys. If we can figure out the logistics of trucks and trailers l’m thinking we should do the above loop the week of March 4th. I believe this is the week of the Quebec March break? Does the March break have much effect on how busy trails are or getting accommodations?

Will likely start from the Roquemont hotel and would like to stay at Windigo lodge first night as have never been there yet. If Windigo isn’t available what other suggestions you have for first night up near LSJ?

Anyone stayed at Onatchiway before. How many beds are in their cottages. We stopped in there for lunch a couple times but never stayed.

Does Vince own any lodgings at the ski hill now or did they sell it all to the new people.

From following different forums and Facebook groups have the feeling there is going to be big demand for lodging this winter from early Feb. to mid March with people from Ontario and the States once again planning trips in Quebec. We went to the Gaspe twice last winter and it was really quiet with the Covid effect. Could wing it for motels but think that will be risky this winter.

Thanks 

I would think the later you go the easier to wing it....

You are in a crowded area for lodging .... We do a march trip that time of the month after clock changes for longer days and usually ideal temps..... But keep our group to 3 or 4 - so if we had to we could sleep in 1 room if that was all that was available

After riding day after day of moguled up trails in the Gaspe last March that the clubs just couldn't get to setup (not that they weren't trying, just too loose of snow and too much traffic) I'm thinking trying to get some trips in in early January is maybe a good strategy.  I'd say watch the weather and either pull it in or push it out till later in March.

19 hours ago, Signfan said:

After riding day after day of moguled up trails in the Gaspe last March that the clubs just couldn't get to setup (not that they weren't trying, just too loose of snow and too much traffic) I'm thinking trying to get some trips in in early January is maybe a good strategy.  I'd say watch the weather and either pull it in or push it out till later in March.

The only trouble with January is the extreme cold temps. are normal. After two consecutive January saddlebag trips where we had a number of days with starting temps of -35 to-42 we decided a timing change was required. Only good part of the cold trips was that the trails were flat and hard. It seems to warm up a bit after the first week of February.

I usually don’t count on prime conditions much past the second week in March in a “normal” year, whatever normal is these days who knows.  Last year was the first time we rode in April, it was great, but I consider that a fluke unless you drive further north.  Only Mother Nature knows what she has in store for this season.

Quebec’s spring break is February 27 to March 3 based on a quick google search for “la semaine de relache au Quebec 2023”.

I don’t know if Onatchaway is equipped to handle that, but based on what I have seen there in the past, I don’t believe that would be my target that night.  Maybe Otis Nature, the old scoobyraid would be a better fit in that area.

I don’t know Vince, never stayed at Passion’s either, so not sure on that one.  

Playhard has mentioned St-Felicien in the past, that would seem like the next logical place en direction Nord on 83 past Windigo if they are booked.

I would avoid Roberval myself even though it’s closer than st felicien

If your body and wallet can handle two back to back rips then I think that your plan to hit sweet baby st ray on the way home from the great Gaspe might be your best bet.  

Please post pics no matter what trips you take.

B96A6C62-67E5-40BF-A350-E07466F1D0A3.jpeg

On 11/15/2022 at 8:37 PM, Signfan said:

First time we did the Gaspe in 2017, late February, early March it was mild and wet snow on a few of the days. Not a storm just snow that wouldn’t pack and mild. Combined with lots of traffic it was a choppy ride the whole loop.

Since then twice we went early February and had almost perfect trails both times. Was cold -10 to -20C , no real snow so trails setup good and it was before the big rush of traffic which seems to be mid February to mid March.

Last winter we were back for a second time mid March for our couples trip. Original plan was to start riding on the Sunday. We had to delay our start until Tuesday as the big blizzard hit the Saturday and Sunday. We went counter clockwise and that gave them more time to get the north shore and chic Choc trail back into shape. Had a near perfect trip.

Seems the Gaspe is a crap shoot when it comes to the weather.

On 11/16/2022 at 4:22 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

The only trouble with January is the extreme cold temps. are normal. After two consecutive January saddlebag trips where we had a number of days with starting temps of -35 to-42 we decided a timing change was required. Only good part of the cold trips was that the trails were flat and hard. It seems to warm up a bit after the first week of February.

I don’t mind -25C but when it gets below -30 takes some of the fun out of it. 2014 we went to Val’dor and it was below -30 C most of the time. All that flat straight running was no enjoyment at all.  Had my new 2014 Viper, didn’t know about the fuel relay freezing issue at that time. And Yamaha mounts the fuse box where you can’t get at it with out taking hood off and they still didn’t correct the issue in following years. That’s why l switch to Ski Doo .

11 hours ago, 800steve said:

Leaving from St Raymond may have some issues in late March. Some years the last 10 miles into town go real fast that last week.

I remember 22 years ago next March 8th starting from St. Raymond and riding to La Tuque. It was mild with water pools everywhere. We decided the next morning to head back to St. Raymond in case we couldn't get back if we ventured further north. We rode a piece past St. Raymond down toward Quebec City. We had to stop in a bush because a snow bridge had gone out. There was a fellow collecting sap in the bush. We returned to the hotel and as we were loading the sleds a guy on a Honda Goldwing rode past. It was 65 degrees that afternoon. The 4 sleds never got dirty on the open bed Triton on either end of the trip from Kitchener/Waterloo Ontario.