Val-D’or vs RDL vs Mt.Valin

Padragon800

Planning some upcoming trips this winter and would like some expert advice I’ve never ridden western Quebec Val-d’or area or RDL I’ve ridden Saguenay Mt.Valin area 5 or so times and love it there just want to possibly explore new areas. So in your all’s opinion which area is the best overall snowmobile experience between the 3 areas. I love Valin for the mountains and amazing scenery and variety of trails. Any help is greatly appreciated and if there are some areas around Quebec Im missing feel free to tell me! This wouldn’t be saddle-bagging riding  it would be staging and riding from one area so can’t do the whole gaspe although that’s on my bucket list   Thank you!

Edited by Padragon800

Easy answer.  You can’t go wrong with either.  Long drive from Lancaster to RDL.  Long drive to Valdor as well. 
 If you enjoy the mountains of Valin, you would love the Gaspe.  Northern part of the peninsula is mountainous with many scenic views. The interior trails are scenic as well.  Southern peninsula is mostly flat, but there is Perce Rock that you would want to see.  
The trails in the west are great. Some on the forum say west is best.  You can shorten that drive by staging at say Mont Laurier and ride 13 North to 83 west into Valdor.  Basically a 2 day ride with 73 and 386 currently closed for forestry.  
Like I previously said, You can’t go wrong with either.  

Abitibi region has the widest, fastest, and usually most groomed trails. Not very hilly. Like they say "The West is The Best"

We usually saddlebag out of Temiscaming, or Ville Marie. Looks to be around 11 hours from you. Well worth the drive.

Edited by Snobeeler

I would say try RDL.  Sounds like you want to come back to the same spot each night.  Leaving from there you could make different loops everyday.  Should you decide to try this I would recommend you send a PM to Mikerider, he knows this area as well as anyone on the QR.  I am sure he would be more then happy to recommend some scenic day trips along with lunch stops.

30 minutes ago, Snobeeler said:

Abitibi region has the widest, fastest, and usually most groomed trails. Not very hilly. Like they say "The West is The Best"

Fast trail with lots of nice grooming, but not very scenic. Out west. 

We day tripped out of Val’dor one year. That area is mainly flat and straight , not much scenery.

Go to YouTube and search: SLEDADDICZ

They posted some good videos of riding Val’dor and western Quebec last winter. From them you can get a good feel for the area.

For day tripping from one location l would suggest Mont Laurier and the area to the north. There is hotels in town but the best idea is to stay at Rabaska or Mekoos Lodge, both about 45 minute drive north of Mont Laurier. From the lodges good options for day loops and you can run the loops to the north up to Fer Cheval and 100 du Lac lodges for lunch. Have Devils Mountain and Chute du Windigo to ride to. The whole area is scenic rolling winding trails, faster running on the northern loops. Mont Laurier would be your closest drive from PA also. No way l would drive the extra hours to ride Val’dor.

Edited by Fuse6

15 hours ago, Padragon800 said:

Planning some upcoming trips this winter and would like some expert advice I’ve never ridden western Quebec Val-d’or area or RDL I’ve ridden Saguenay Mt.Valin area 5 or so times and love it there just want to possibly explore new areas. So in your all’s opinion which area is the best overall snowmobile experience between the 3 areas. I love Valin for the mountains and amazing scenery and variety of trails. Any help is greatly appreciated and if there are some areas around Quebec Im missing feel free to tell me! This wouldn’t be saddle-bagging riding  it would be staging and riding from one area so can’t do the whole gaspe although that’s on my bucket list   Thank you!

How many days do you want to ride from same location?

If you are staying in one place and doing day trips, my pick would be RDL just slightly over the Jonquier/Mt Valin area.  I have done many years of day tripping out of each area and now pretty much have settled on RDL.

I find the grooming is better at RDL and weekday traffic is less.  RDL seems to have many more restaurants and club houses in the area and on the trails. While there aren't many scenic vistas except maybe looking at the St. Lawrence, the forests in that region are just so neat and beautiful. The area has a wonderful mix of trails, from big logging roads to rail beds to fields.

I recommend staying at the Universel Hotel in RDL although someone mentioned they are remodeling the restaurant and it won't be open for dinners this winter. The Hotel Levesque is also very nice.  Within a few blocks of the Universel is numerous fast food places and several restaurants. Maybe a mile or so is the downtown which is pretty cool with some great restaurants, pubs and breweries.  Also a couple blocks away is an indoor mall. Also just a few miles away are  very large Doo and Poo dealers.

I would also add that if you wish to see pictures of the area, go to the Bas St Laurent section of these forums and scroll down to both the "2019 RDL trail conditions" and the "2020 RDL Trail Conditions".  Myself and others have posted hundreds of pictures of the area.

mike

All true & all loved & all recommended!  

Depending on what you want daytime & night, Mauricie could be worth a look. I'm kinda partial to this region, since that's where a bunch of us cut our teeth. A cozy sled-friendly home-base is https://www.aubergemoteldrakkar.ca/, with lots of resources nearby & plenty of grub delivered or taxis if you don't want to drive at night.

Mauricie 1.jpg

Mauricie 2.jpg

Mauricie 3.jpg

Mauricie 4.jpg

Y'know...

#1) Recommendation: Check grooming right up thru breakfast time: https://fcmq.fcmqapi.ca/carte-motoneige/indexen.html#map

#2) Recommendation: Get saddlebags!  Even if it's just trunk bags for 1-nighters!  Opens up LOTS of nice alternative trails & stops!