Saint Zenon Christmas Ride

mrterceira

4 minutes ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Thanks for the encouragement Ice

If there isnt enough snow I'm coming to your house all week to drink beer  LOL

Might have to go further north. I can tell you I will not be at Mont Valin if that’s the only place with snow come Christmas time. 

Grass here in Shawinigan some piles of snow from plows but back to square one. Cold looks like it’s setting in. Seeing no precipitation in forecast but it can change. 

I ride Mont Valin as my first ride of the year and last and don’t find it that bad. However I have never been there at Christmas time. We are a group of eight heading there next Thursday till Monday and staying at Onatchway. First time staying there and will be trying the private trail system at least a couple of times. 

No doubt the area can get busy, but most people are off trail riders and it’s only a zoo from Valinouet to Auberge/La Chapelle. Get past that it’s all good.

It is surely looks more promising than a week ago. With the small crusty base they already have I'm pretty sure they will begin to groom at least some forest road sections like the Mastigouche wildlife reserve trails. Both the Royaume snowmobile club and St-Michel club wrote they are ready and just waiting for mother nature cooperation. The amount of snow received and the weather degrees will determine how far they will be able to go... need snow+cold.  my 2 cents 

I'm remaining hopefully optimistic on riding at least a few days despite the news. And that would be I just got off the phone with my buddy in St Alexis des Monts.

He reports 2 inches of solid ice around his whole property. His parents built a small house (and now fulltime retired there "off the grid") 3 km (as crow flies) from the Gilardo dam. He says they have 6 inches with ice underneath. Their neighbor who is the guy that runs the Zec and groomer (driveway right off the 345 north of Gilardo) who has been there 40 years told his parents the other day....Quote..."it's the worst start to winter he's ever seen up there" he is still driving his pickup in/out in two wheel drive. 

But....friday/saturday storm look promising as does future temp and precip. I'm betting there will be adequate riding north of St Zenon albeit not like some other christmas/New Years weeks. 

I'll be there no matter what. Going to visit/stay with my buddy in St Alexis a day or two, visit with Andre's parents in St Jean-de-Matha and spend a couple nights at LeCabanon. Hell...I might even go see Towing if he's around. 

Pray for snow !!!

8 minutes ago, snowmaster2112 said:

But....friday/saturday storm look promising as does future temp and precip. I'm betting there will be adequate riding north of St Zenon albeit not like some other christmas/New Years weeks

Snow fall totals here dropping each day they say maybe 15cm total now for this storm here less further north.

Looks like the banana belt of Peterborough Ontario where were lucky to keep a foot of snow for more than a couple weeks each winter is going to be the place for holiday riding.

Then again the weather network is never right when it comes to snowfall predictions.

Screenshot_20221214_192156_Weather Network.jpg

16 minutes ago, Signfan said:

Looks like the banana belt of Peterborough Ontario where were lucky to keep a foot of snow for more than a couple weeks each winter is going to be the place for holiday riding.

Then again the weather network is never right when it comes to snowfall predictions.

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_12/1935338027_Screenshot_20221214_192156_WeatherNetwork.thumb.jpg.1b8068384f128d04c3eb03da1ad23ed9.jpg

i hope you guys get it and get some fun riding in. According to this....this week next time ...."Tug Hill" will be the place to be. And if they get HALF that much (especially on a holiday week) there will be 3000 A-holes beating every last flake into the ground.

unnamed (12).jpg

On 12/8/2022 at 9:44 PM, snowmaster2112 said:

Ditto on Mt Valin. Glad those guys are up there and having fun. Been there-done that years ago but not my "cup of tea" anymore.

Who knows....I might pull an indigenous tour if I have too ...LOL

You could always go hang out with the twin tower brothers ! 

Book your rooms now. 

Club Le Royaume de la Motoneige 

C’est le debut officielle de la saison ! 
À partir de 16h les trois surfaceuses vont être en sentier ! 
Barrage Taureau 345
Réserve Mastigouche 23 
Direction la glaciere par la 23/350

Edited by iceman