Val Dor to Roberval

zrtkat

We are thinking of doing some kind of loop out of temiscaming heading to val Dor then we are thinking about heading to Roberval can anyone recommend a halfway point to Roberval ???? .we are planning 6 day trip or possible 7.

Thanks 

Zrtkat and Crew

6 minutes ago, zrtkat said:We are thinking of doing some kind of loop out of temiscaming heading to val Dor then we are thinking about heading to Roberval can anyone recommend a halfway point to Roberval ???? .we are planning 6 day trip or possible 7.

Thanks 

Zrtkat and Crew

About 400km give or take but fast trail. 

Val d’0r to Chapais

next day Chapais to Roberval shorter day around  350km 

In Chapais is

Motel le Routier

Téléphone: (418) 745-2564

resto attached. 

34 minutes ago, iceman said:

About 400km give or take but fast trail. 

Val d’0r to Chapais

next day Chapais to Roberval shorter day around  350km 

In Chapais is

Motel le Routier

Téléphone: (418) 745-2564

resto attached. 

Thanks Iceman will check it out was going to head up to Mattagami after Roberval but with the hotel burned down looking for other options.

Cant BEAT Hotel Opemiska in Chapais. Cant miss it coming into town as the gas station and hotel are right in front of you.

Isabell the owner speaks better english than you and I , has perfect exceptionally clean rooms, open kitchen area with do it yourself cold and HOT foods, laundry area downstairs...etc, etc...

Cant beat the place IMO

If you are going to do your loop counter clockwise from Val D Or Jeff and you want to be in Roberval in 2 days then the best choice for an even break would be to stay in Parent. That would give you about 250 miles a day both days. In Parent there is Hotel Parent. It apparently is staying busy with out of area workers but maybe somebody more familiar with it these days could chime in. I  there had read one time that there was one or two other spots in or close to Parent as well.

It's a long day but the Gouin resoirvior is a adventure you won't ever forget,  300 plus miles from Val Dor. The Walleye dinner is special. 

10 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

If you are going to do your loop counter clockwise from Val D Or Jeff and you want to be in Roberval in 2 days then the best choice for an even break would be to stay in Parent. That would give you about 250 miles a day both days. In Parent there is Hotel Parent. It apparently is staying busy with out of area workers but maybe somebody more familiar with it these days could chime in. I  there had read one time that there was one or two other spots in or close to Parent as well.

Hands down the BEST place to stay in Parent is l’ hombre du vent. Jeanie & Andre have 4 luxury 2 story chalets with satellite tv and internet. They also have a super nice ranch style house right over the bridge from the depanneur/gas station. 

I spoke with Jeanie a couple weeks back and they will be open to the public again this season. Last year Hydro Quebec locked all her rooms/chalets/house up all winter long as they were doing work in the area.

I’ll second that for l’hombre du vent.  Several years back I got talking to a guy in the Central.  He told me his buddy just built some cabins and handed me a card for l’hombre.  Fast forward a few more years. We were caught in some heavy rain. After a half day of it, we decided to cut the day short and head to the Central for the night.  As we were coming into town I saw a sign for l’hombre and stopped the group.  Let’s go check this place out.  We pulled in, soaking wet.  Andre had us pull our sleds into his shop for the night. He hung a clothesline up to hang our suits on and turned the heat up to what must have been around 80 F. He hands us the keys for his minivan to use for the night.  The next morning sleds and suits are dry and warm.  Talk about a super experience that we still talk about to this day.

1 hour ago, GSX800 said:

I’ll second that for l’hombre du vent.  Several years back I got talking to a guy in the Central.  He told me his buddy just built some cabins and handed me a card for l’hombre.  Fast forward a few more years. We were caught in some heavy rain. After a half day of it, we decided to cut the day short and head to the Central for the night.  As we were coming into town I saw a sign for l’hombre and stopped the group.  Let’s go check this place out.  We pulled in, soaking wet.  Andre had us pull our sleds into his shop for the night. He hung a clothesline up to hang our suits on and turned the heat up to what must have been around 80 F. He hands us the keys for his minivan to use for the night.  The next morning sleds and suits are dry and warm.  Talk about a super experience that we still talk about to this day.

that's quebec hospitality at its best.

I would take the extra 2 days and do the full loop. Or do a crazy ride like us  and we left Louvicourt and rode to Relais 22 the first day. 2nd day we didn't quite go to Roberval but La Dore and then headed up for out 2nd night in Chibougamou and then day 3 an easy ride back down. Either way are great trails.

we are trying to plan a 6- 7 day ride from Temiscaming head to Val-Dor for our first night and then we are trying to figure out a -plan to do a loop and end up back in Val-dor stay overnight and back to the truck in Temiscaming.

2 hours ago, zrtkat said:

we are trying to plan a 6- 7 day ride from Temiscaming head to Val-Dor for our first night and then we are trying to figure out a -plan to do a loop and end up back in Val-dor stay overnight and back to the truck in Temiscaming.

It's 2 days over to Roberval and 2 days back so with the 2 days needed to/from Temiskaming that would fill 6 days.  For the extra day there's lots of nice trails around Lac St. Jean or you could easily spend a day on the trails north and west of Val D Or. You could go up around Amos from Val D or  and over to La Sarre (the trails north of La Sarre are a great ride) and end the day in Rouyn-Noranda at the Quality Inn. That would leave you a good last day down to Temiskaming from Rouyn-Noranda. I envy you doing this trip!

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_12/IMG_20221220_200651.thumb.jpg.dc12c2bb5a8b49d27a65b799ef1969c0.jpg when we get to Roberval was wondering how many miles it would be to do this loop around Lake Saint-Jean. And stay in Roberval 2 nights . I tried to figure it out on the app with no such luck. I guess I need to practice with it.lol Just looking to fill a days ride on some trails we did not do before.

Zrtkat 

1 minute ago, smclelan said:

You can loop the lake in a day easy.  Leave your bags and come back to the same place.

Thanks smclelan that's what I wanted to know thanks for your knowledge of the area. 

Zrtkat 

11 hours ago, zrtkat said:

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_12/IMG_20221220_200651.thumb.jpg.dc12c2bb5a8b49d27a65b799ef1969c0.jpg when we get to Roberval was wondering how many miles it would be to do this loop around Lake Saint-Jean. And stay in Roberval 2 nights . I tried to figure it out on the app with no such luck. I guess I need to practice with it.lol Just looking to fill a days ride on some trails we did not do before.

Zrtkat 

I have gone around the lake many times. Its about 200 miles.

10 hours ago, iceman said:

IMHO 

kinda hard to go to Lac St Jean and not ride the 373 

X2   Best scenery around the lake. About 300 miles if you go on 373 to Onatchaway and drop down to Alma and back on 83 to Roberval. We tried to go to the new bridge when we were up there last week, but ran out of snow.

• 4 weeks later...

We are going to stay at the l’ hombre du vent was in contact with them very reasonable rates and looks like a nice place to stay overnight in Parent . 

Thanks for all the help. 

Zrtkat 

• 2 weeks later...

We have all our rooms reserved thought we where going to change plans due to l’hombre du vent having no chalets available but luckily for us she had a chalet available on the 21st after all.

1 day temiscaming to Val-dor 

2 night val Dor to l’hombre du vent.  

3 night l’hombre du vent to Roberval. 

4 night trip around lac st jean back to Roberval.

5 night to chicoubama

6 night to Val-dor

7 night to temiscaming.

Thanks for all the input on lodging.

Zrtkat