Club Motoneige Val-d’Or

iceman

Trail prep

need more snow and cold

message from club volunteer 

Hello, I volunteered for the Club Motoneigistes de Rouyn-Noranda for several years, and I am a new volunteer for the Club Motoneige Val-d’Or. I am a snowmobile enthusiast and I do several thousand km per winter! Like many, when the snow starts to fall, I can't wait to get my snowmobile out, and after a few storms, I tell myself that there must be enough snow to open the trails. This week, I “participated” for the first time in the beginning of the work on the trails with the tractors. Me: Wow, the trail here is super beautiful! Oops, here it smashes in a big hole of mud, because the ground is not frozen enough yet. The two resurfacers followed each other and when there was a hole in the trail, each on their side of the hole the workers were busy filling it with snow. When there is a clearing, it's fine, but when it's forest on both sides that's when you realize that there is not so much snow. My participation was mainly to ask questions, take photos and videos. I share a few with you, the quality may not be perfect through the windshield, but it gives us a good idea of the work. While I rode the Pisten Bully, other team members and volunteers were snowmobiling the trails, continuing to remove trees and branches from the trails, to ensure the tractors could pass. The trails are not yet open, but the team is working hard to start the season as soon as possible! There is still a lack of snow and cold to be able to circulate safely. Thanks to our operator Michel for the experience, France Bedard.

37C06B77-53FC-4313-A24D-AA9953E06BCC.jpeg

C117DB30-40FD-4F39-B831-2907131EA2D5.jpeg

8F03D4AB-FA8D-418B-AC5F-199978046A39.jpeg

AADB4A13-7389-4F2F-956D-1A27EC4F4C98.jpeg

A big thanks to those volunteers that go out early like these guys.  Running the groomers over this will mix the snow, water, and mud togegher speeding up the freezing process.  Once stirred like this a nd a cold night or two, and the next snowfall will be something the groomers can work with.  

👍