St-Zenon photo ride-report January 6, 2023

towing

Under a cloudy sky with a little snow/-2C we made this ride yesterday January 6, 2023 in St-Zenon area through the Mastigouche Wildlife Reserve starting from St-Gabriel de Brandon

carte1_pPFs3fDmm2cm2y5YAdeTkr.jpg

As a drop point we chose the parking lot of the Multifunctional Center 111 Chemin du mont Lanaudière (it's the road just past the Highschool) which is an official parking lot for trailers and the trail pass just aside. We arrived a little late and parked on the roadside in front of it. 

DJI_0169_nDZbNZoa7crVeXbPswjX4L.JPG

Despite the last thaw there is still a lot of snow, the conditions are good here in the field in St-Damien.

DJI_0173.JPG

Even the big hill in climbing on the mountain was nice with barely a couple browning snow spots , otherwise very good. Given the traffic there were a few bumps but it ride very well.

DJI_0182.JPG

We passed the Renard Bleu outfitter

DJI_0183.JPG

The road is plowed farther this year but has been widened and our trail is next to it. We just have to cross it a couple of times as the trail change of side otherwise it's fine.

DJI_0186.JPG

DJI_0184.JPG

the snow cover is very good

DJI_0189.JPG

DJI_0194.JPG

From the #23 we then took trail #350 east.

DJI_0195.JPG

After this thaw I was expecting to ride on very hard trails but no there is a good layer of loose snow on top , thick enough that the skis were not even bite the trail hard base most of the time. Very good conditions

DJI_0196.JPG

DJI_0202.JPG

Passed the junction for the #23 towards the Cabanon we continued on the #350 towards Koubec with even better trail conditions

DJI_0201.JPG

DJI_0205.JPG

We stopped for lunch at the Relais Koubec (Outfitter Mastigouche)

DJI_0206.JPG

DJI_0207.JPG

It's been a while since we stopped eating there. It was very good and quick and their huge double-sided fireplace in the center of the dining room always impresses me!

DJI_0215.JPG

After the lunch break we continued in the Mastigouche reserve. I did a round trip stretch on #23 eastbound. We passed the junction for the trail to Gaston (#350 towards Lac Blanc)

DJI_0217.JPG

Before turning around and continuing on #23 westbound

DJI_0242.JPG

DJI_0229.JPG

The section of #23 which comes to reconnect on the #345 (towards the Taureau dam) is less used and as usual it did not disappoint us with its good condition and beautiful fast sections.

DJI_0248.JPG

DJI_0233.JPG

DJI_0253.JPG

There had been more traffic on the #345 towards the Cabanon. The snow cover remains good even if there are a few spots of more brownish snow in the few km that leave the forest road and which had been reworked with a bulldozer just before the season.

DJI_0266.JPG

DJI_0269.JPG

We stopped to fuel up at Auberge Le Cabanon

DJI_0276.JPG

DJI_0277.JPG

And we went back down to our starting point via #23 trail

DJI_0284.JPG

Real Masse outfitter, which had major problems with their plumbing and water distribution system during an extended power outage (christmas storm) is not open and the trail goes straight, trail not groomed yet

DSC05637.JPG

the #23 south of #350 was weared from traffic and was bumpy on the way back south, especially in the section maintained by St-Charles club

DSC05640.JPG

The last section groomed by St-Gabriel club was better but the traffic had still done its job. With the announced cold and grooming, it will come back good because the snow cover is good.

DSC05643.JPG

To summarize,  the storm of December 23 had left impressive amounts of snow, the following thaw packed it down to give us a solid base for the trails and the last snow put some cream on the cake which gives very good conditions. There are still a couples of not frozen small ditches and you can still see the remains of fallen /damaged trees but the ride we did was very nice overall. 

Trail opening and grooming is still underway, I know that from St-Zenon or Mattawin it is possible to go to Pourvoirie Repos. Kanawata wrote their trails was open (4January) and Alliance du nord club that groom norther on the #83 state that they finished opening trails and are at grooming them. Many places in Parent/clova were starting their operations this weekend. Latuque snowmobile club also state their trails opened.

With the cold announced I expect that the open trail network will continue to expand and connect rapidly in the coming days

Happy 2023 season!

Alain

1 hour ago, towing said:

Under a cloudy sky with a little snow/-2C we made this ride yesterday January 6, 2023 in St-Zenon area through the Mastigouche Wildlife Reserve starting from St-Gabriel de Brandon

carte1_pPFs3fDmm2cm2y5YAdeTkr.jpg

As a drop point we chose the parking lot of the Multifunctional Center 111 Chemin du mont Lanaudière (it's the road just past the Highschool) which is an official parking lot for trailers and the trail pass just aside. We arrived a little late and parked on the roadside in front of it. 

DJI_0169_nDZbNZoa7crVeXbPswjX4L.JPG

Despite the last thaw there is still a lot of snow, the conditions are good here in the field in St-Damien.

DJI_0173.JPG

Even the big hill in climbing on the mountain was nice with barely a couple browning snow spots , otherwise very good. Given the traffic there were a few bumps but it ride very well.

DJI_0182.JPG

We passed the Renard Bleu outfitter

DJI_0183.JPG

The road is plowed farther this year but has been widened and our trail is next to it. We just have to cross it a couple of times as the trail change of side otherwise it's fine.

DJI_0186.JPG

DJI_0184.JPG

the snow cover is very good

DJI_0189.JPG

DJI_0194.JPG

From the #23 we then took trail #350 east.

DJI_0195.JPG

After this thaw I was expecting to ride on very hard trails but no there is a good layer of loose snow on top , thick enough that the skis were not even bite the trail hard base most of the time. Very good conditions

DJI_0196.JPG

DJI_0202.JPG

Passed the junction for the #23 towards the Cabanon we continued on the #350 towards Koubec with even better trail conditions

DJI_0201.JPG

DJI_0205.JPG

We stopped for lunch at the Relais Koubec (Outfitter Mastigouche)

DJI_0206.JPG

DJI_0207.JPG

It's been a while since we stopped eating there. It was very good and quick and their huge double-sided fireplace in the center of the dining room always impresses me!

DJI_0215.JPG

After the lunch break we continued in the Mastigouche reserve. I did a round trip stretch on #23 eastbound. We passed the junction for the trail to Gaston (#350 towards Lac Blanc)

DJI_0217.JPG

Before turning around and continuing on #23 westbound

DJI_0242.JPG

DJI_0229.JPG

The section of #23 which comes to reconnect on the #345 (towards the Taureau dam) is less used and as usual it did not disappoint us with its good condition and beautiful fast sections.

DJI_0248.JPG

DJI_0233.JPG

DJI_0253.JPG

There had been more traffic on the #345 towards the Cabanon. The snow cover remains good even if there are a few spots of more brownish snow in the few km that leave the forest road and which had been reworked with a bulldozer just before the season.

DJI_0266.JPG

DJI_0269.JPG

We stopped to fuel up at Auberge Le Cabanon

DJI_0276.JPG

DJI_0277.JPG

And we went back down to our starting point via #23 trail

DJI_0284.JPG

Real Masse outfitter, which had major problems with their plumbing and water distribution system during an extended power outage (christmas storm) is not open and the trail goes straight, trail not groomed yet

DSC05637.JPG

the #23 south of #350 was weared from traffic and was bumpy on the way back south, especially in the section maintained by St-Charles club

DSC05640.JPG

The last section groomed by St-Gabriel club was better but the traffic had still done its job. With the announced cold and grooming, it will come back good because the snow cover is good.

DSC05643.JPG

To summarize,  the storm of December 23 had left impressive amounts of snow, the following thaw packed it down to give us a solid base for the trails and the last snow put some cream on the cake which gives very good conditions. There are still a couples of not frozen small ditches and you can still see the remains of fallen /damaged trees but the ride we did was very nice overall. 

Trail opening and grooming is still underway, I know that from St-Zenon or Mattawin it is possible to go to Pourvoirie Repos. Kanawata wrote their trails was open (4January) and Alliance du nord club that groom norther on the #83 state that they finished opening trails and are at grooming them. Many places in Parent/clova were starting their operations this weekend. Latuque snowmobile club also state their trails opened.

With the cold announced I expect that the open trail network will continue to expand and connect rapidly in the coming days

Happy 2023 season!

Alain

As always, Thanks for the great reports. Our group will be heading up the 22nd starting from Rabaska so your report is very encouraging.

Thank again 

Alain, super live update, things are looking much better than most expected...a quick note on Koubec's...many people overlook that there are rooms there ...and it's a great safe place to stay and leave for trips from...Helen is a great host and they have been around for as long or longer than anyone...and it definitely saves a little driving time...only draw back is no gas there but it's doable for sure...when everyone is booked ...don't forget them, many thanks , have a great season, Bob.

5 hours ago, Pipemaster said:

As always, Thanks for the great reports. Our group will be heading up the 22nd starting from Rabaska so your report is very encouraging.

Thank again 

You are welcome Pipemaster! the 22 seems to me far at first but I realize it is in facts in 2 weeks! I had begin to see good things north from Mt-Laurier, the season really begin actually.

5 hours ago, quebec bob said:

Alain, super live update, things are looking much better than most expected...a quick note on Koubec's...many people overlook that there are rooms there ...and it's a great safe place to stay and leave for trips from...Helen is a great host and they have been around for as long or longer than anyone...and it definitely saves a little driving time...only draw back is no gas there but it's doable for sure...when everyone is booked ...don't forget them, many thanks , have a great season, Bob.

I agree with your Koubec comment. It is a very different experience than a 5 star modern hotel but I myself really prefer this kind of authentic places with soul, operate by people that put a part of their life and heart in it. The only thing to consider is that the small road that lead there from the public road is narrow on some section + twisty and hilly. You need to have the appropriate truck/rig depending the road conditions. Helen will be able to advise you wisely on this if needed

4 hours ago, Snobeeler said:

Alain, thank you so much! We are heading that way tomarrow for a few days. Also heading west to Mekoos for a couple days. Now I can sleep sound tonight after your report. 😇

You will explore at some point but from what I see and read you will having a great trip!

3 hours ago, iceman said:

Thanks Alain, spot on as always. Looking good. 

Thanks Iceman, have a great season!

3 hours ago, EastMark said:

Great report !

As I suspected it has packed and groomed and gotten better quickly since we were there 10 days ago. 

Looks like a blast ! Glad we got season passes. I think we may need it based on Maine so far.

You were in the early birds that contribute to pack down that new snow! The big snow drop +thaw is a good scenario for this rocky area, it seal down the rocks and we will build on this base for the rest of the season. I wish you that your area got snowy but yes here looks to be a great option in the next weeks

3 hours ago, Florida Snowman said:

Thanks so much Alain! Looking much better than I thought it would be. Very much appreciated. We are heading up next Friday for a week run. Can’t wait to get back in the saddle!

Happy New Year!

You are welcome Florida Snowman! Starting in a week will left the time to the trail network to build up and the info to be available. Right now there is more than what it is advertise but it's a season beginning and it take some time to put all together. Happy new year and have a great trip! 

2 hours ago, lachdave said:

Thank you Alain!  Wonderful report as usual.  We are planning a ride the week of Jan. 15th.  After your great report, I am optimistic...

thank you lachdave! as I wrote to Florida Snowman, you have just the perfect timing IMO to get the best of it! Hoping that we get cold weather and just a bit of snow to keep the cake creamy!

Alain I couldn’t agree with you more and I’ve known the whole family for 4 decades… it’s the family’s life work… I love that part of Quebec and that hospitality that make the whole experience so much better… the mom and pop establishment that makes you feel like family at the holidays

would not have thought it held up as nice as it did even though I should know better considering the area and the past. Congrats to all who are going up soon to get some awesome trails. See ya soon.....

Alain, your trail reports remind me of the Carly Simon (James Bond movie) song......"nobody does it better".......

On 1/7/2023 at 9:44 PM, M21 Local said:

Merci Alain for the nice video and the trail report, I will be riding next week in the area.

You are welcome M21, the table is set for you to have a great time next week up there!

On 1/7/2023 at 11:08 PM, snowmaster2112 said:

would not have thought it held up as nice as it did even though I should know better considering the area and the past. Congrats to all who are going up soon to get some awesome trails. See ya soon.....

Alain, your trail reports remind me of the Carly Simon (James Bond movie) song......"nobody does it better".......

It held up nicely, even better on Mattawin side from what I see yesterday!

When you mention Carly Simon I had an hesitation because the one I was remember from her was "you're so vain" 😜  loll

We have a bunch of very good trail reporters here, curiously i'm nearly the only one on the french forum...and on facebook they put a nice picture without even writing where is it!!!

18 hours ago, viper2 said:

Great report as usual Alain!

15 hours ago, markusvt said:

Thanks for the updates!

Thanks guys!!

9 hours ago, mikerider said:

Thank you Alain for the great reports and thank you to your wonderful photographer.

What part of Quebec will be your big trip this year?

mike

You are welcome mikerider, from me and Kristine that is at trying to tame a new camera to replace her old sony that is about dying.

It's a good question for the annual trip, don't have the answer yet... at least my vacations week is book on the shedule! I'm a last minute planer and i'm not limiting the options to Quebec... There will be some nice dreaming/planning for options!

3 hours ago, Snobeeler said:

I did St-Michel/ Mattawin yesterday and had a blast, what a nice ride!!!

2 hours ago, skidoo420 said:

Thanks for the report great spot for pics we getting ready for Thursday from Mattawin 

I will as well post my report of my Mattawin yesterday ride tonight

7 hours ago, Pats fan said:

Alain,

Thank You for the great report and video. Not only did it make my day, I now have hope that there will be a season.  

Thanks again from the snowless Boston area.  

Ho yes there is a season that is already begin here! You know how it work, if the snow isn't go to you... you have to...