St-Michel des Saint/Marineau Mattawin photo ride report January 8, 2023

towing

Beautiful sunny Sunday with winter temperatures (-15C at start around 9:30), we did this ride: a kind of Taureau reservoir loop with a fuel up at Marineau Mattawin!

carte_a6mNgcSi42AHJ9UQ5jVSit.jpg

We parked the trailer in the parking lot of Pub 111 in St-Michel des Saints, the trail passes through the parking lot.

DJI_4.JPG

We left a little late around 9:45 and headed off on #63 towards the Cabanon. The snow base held the thaw good but there was a bit less new snow on top around the village of St-Michel. The big slopes facing south near the village are the only place that suffered and some rock has risen to the surface and is mixed with the snow. the little snow we got today and forecast this week will help getting this spot better

depart.jpg

This pic is not very representative and unfortunately I had not a lot of photos at the start of the ride because my Gopro didn't want to cooperate and we are at testing with a new camera to replace Kristine's old Sony which is about dying(the camera 😉). You may notice some photos of a different look in my reports.

We rode up to Auberge Le Cabanon and then took the #345 towards the Taureau dam. It had not been regroomed overnight and Saturday's heavy traffic day+warm weather had sculpt the trail shape! .The lady behind me was swearing into her helmeth... that's why we don't have communicators!!!

DJI_74.JPG

We took a little break at the dam. We see that the reservoir level has started to drop down...

DJI_76.JPG

And the water output flow is still high...

DJI_0298.JPG

We then continued on #360 east. Grooming was much better despite some bumps to watch in the curves up to #345 junction (towards Pourvoirie Lac du Repos)

DJI_0303.JPG

We then got superb, almost perfect trail conditions on the #360 up to Mattawin. I like this very panoramic section

DJI_0327.JPG

DJI_0330.JPG

the snow cover is even much better going toward Mattawin

DJI_0334.JPG

This is one of the most beautiful section of the #360 with a fast trail along the beautiful Mattawin River.

DJI_0332.JPG

DJI_0337.JPG

We took our usual little break at stop 440 to admire the river which is currently flowing at high flow.

DJI_0345.JPG

DJI_0372.JPG

we then continued east...

DJI_0342.JPG

As many of you know, the M20 trail (and M21) are not done this season due to logging, which requires plowing the road of the usual route of these trails to get the wood out. Here the M20 path which is closed to snowmobiles this season

DJI_0434.JPG

The Zec Chapeau de Paille road that we usually use for the continuation of the #360 towards Marineau is also plowed, so the club made detour trail further north. It's a bit winding at the beginning especially the first miles but it quickly becomes better and then very good for the 2nd half with beautiful nice stretchs

DJI_0383.JPG

DJI_0384.JPG

The detour joins the usual trail at the height the Zec entrance and we continue on familiar trail path

DJI_0394.JPG

DJI_0408.JPG

To finally arrive at our refueling point around 12:45 with 93 miles on the meter

DJI_0410.JPG

DJI_0413.JPG

After a good meal break at the auberge, we left in the opposite direction a little before 2:00 p.m. for the second half of our ride. It bugged me to not be able to film in such beautiful conditions and by dint of trying I managed to find a way to convince my gopro to stay alive in the afternoon and I finally have images in the bank for a future video.

DJI_0428.JPG

DJI_0439.JPG

it was really good and nice ride

DJI_0444.JPG

DJI_0465.JPG

We took a first and only break at #360/#345 junction (towards Repos) and surprisingly we had a little beggar who came to ask for his food!

DJI_0477.JPG

After all these years in Lanaudière, we have often had gray jays come in our hands, but black-capped chickadees this is the first time here. We had some last spring in Gaspésie... they may have spread the word about us!!!

DJI_0478.JPG

We then continued and once near the dam held the #360 to loop around the reservoir on the west side

DJI_0490.JPG

It was riding very well, just usual season beginning ruts to watch out for. There is a short section less than one miles where the club had started to groom the trail next to the road path where we usually pass??

DJI_0503.JPG

The trail became even nicer from the  #33 junction which had been groomed the night before. We were quickly  near the Auberge du Lac Taureau and chose to cut across the Taureau reservoir to return to St-Michel. The snowmobile club had published earlier last week having marked it out after testing the ice at 15" thick.

The level of the reservoir is still high enough so that the ice cover is still almost flat on the whole length, riding this was like a creamy cherry on the top of our day ride

DJI_0532.JPG

We finally got back to the trailer around 4:45 p.m. with a total of 188 miles/302kms on the meter to say it's pretty much the same distance either way of the reservoir

DJI_0544.JPG

So a 2nd great ride in the last 3 days for us which kicks off our snowmobile season this year. I expect that the trail network will continue to grow rapidly with the actual cold and snow ahead and also that the information on the interactive map will become more up to date as there are open places that are not shown on the map actually but also several other places that the clubs are at finish opening.

Everything is finally falling into place for a great 2023 snowmobile season!

Edited by towing

Hi Alain,

You are off to a very nice start this season. Thanks for taking us along.

Our 2021 and 2022 trail pass did not get installed on the machine. I have 2023 on now.

Your beautiful pictures have me salivating to get up there. The new camera is taking some great shots.

Happy Trails !

Merci. merci, merci Alain

Will be a couple weeks before we get back up and hoping it can only get better. Looking forward to reports from people going north of the Repos. Hopefully some snow comes more widespread so the rest of the province can get going too. Very isolated now to a handful of areas.

On 1/9/2023 at 9:25 PM, GT Rider said:

Hi Alain,

You are off to a very nice start this season. Thanks for taking us along.

Our 2021 and 2022 trail pass did not get installed on the machine. I have 2023 on now.

Your beautiful pictures have me salivating to get up there. The new camera is taking some great shots.

Happy Trails !

You are welcome GT Rider ! Ya it's always thought to get the best of the electronics but Kristine new camera setup begin to work pretty good, even in very low light. The last shot on the reservoir was at pretty high speed and it was already enough dark to use the lights and the shot came outstandingly considering the conditions.

I wish you and Mrs GT a great time on snow soon!

On 1/9/2023 at 9:25 PM, snowmaster2112 said:

Merci. merci, merci Alain

Will be a couple weeks before we get back up and hoping it can only get better. Looking forward to reports from people going north of the Repos. Hopefully some snow comes more widespread so the rest of the province can get going too. Very isolated now to a handful of areas.

You are welcome Snowmaster, the forecast is looking good: cold and snow!

On 1/9/2023 at 10:12 PM, smclelan said:

Great reports as always.  Looking forward to  more.

23 hours ago, markusvt said:

Looking good!

15 hours ago, GSX800 said:

Awesome report as always.  Can’t wait to get up there after reading your reports.

12 hours ago, viper2 said:

another great report Alain, Thank you!

Thank you for the good words guys👍

Edited by towing

23 hours ago, DareDog said:

Great report.  I like them better now cause of the skidoo lol. How do you like it? 

Thanks Daredog! We get used to the skidoo, I was knowing from the beginning that the Yammy+Expert-X Boivin rear skid combo would be hard to replace and it is the case. I enjoy the 900ace touring until I encounter a rough trail section...not that the skidoo is not good and I improved it with 3 Elka shocks but the Expert-X was at the next level... The skidoo shine as for fuel usage/increase mileage range and the heated seat is a great addition that Kristine and me are both enjoying more than expected when it's very cold.

I left you a small musical clip put together from this last ride image