2023 Riviere-du-Loup Trail Conditions

revct1

We are not in RDL at this moment.  Sandi and I have reservations at the Universal starting Sunday night January 15th.  We haven't decided on whether we are going or if we are going to cancel.  There isn't much snow on the ground currently but there has been limited grooming going on.  A few trails are showing yellow and green but many are still red.

The forecast is for 30 cm of snow tomorrow and then below freezing temperatures for the next 10 days.  We are going to make a few phone calls Saturday and make our decision.

Jack & Sandi

Hi Jack,

You likely know this is the free weekend coming up?

Between the new snow and extra traffic on limited number of trails l’m speculating trails won’t be great until mid week next week when they have time to get everything groomed up from the weekend.

16 hours ago, EastMark said:

Id go if I had those reservations with the forecast of snow coming.

Interested to see what it is now too prior to the snow. 

Hope you get to go Jack 

I'm hoping it is good.  They are predicting a good dump of snow so it may be worth the trip.  We will decide tomorrow.

13 hours ago, Fuse6 said:

Hi Jack,

You likely know this is the free weekend coming up?

Between the new snow and extra traffic on limited number of trails l’m speculating trails won’t be great until mid week next week when they have time to get everything groomed up from the weekend.

The free weekend is the 14th and 15th.  If we go, we will drive up the 15th so we will miss the free weekend but may see the aftermath.

10 minutes ago, zeusand said:

Hopefully the 2nd time is good for you guys 

Christmas to New Years was warm.  The forecast for RDL is below freezing every day so that is a step up in itself.

Jack & Sandi

Hi,    I am not sure yet but will be deciding soon.  I really got to like the  2 1/2 hour trip for Maine riding vs.  6 hours to RDL. 

But, I really miss seeing everyone in Canada.   With only small areas with good snow in both Maine and Quebec, it's gonna be crowded.

27 minutes ago, mikerider said:

Hi,    I am not sure yet but will be deciding soon.  I really got to like the  2 1/2 hour trip for Maine riding vs.  6 hours to RDL. 

But, I really miss seeing everyone in Canada.   With only small areas with good snow in both Maine and Quebec, it's gonna be crowded.

Well I guess it wasn't you who won the 1.3 Billion mega millions in Maine! One lucky son of a bitch!

3 hours ago, mikerider said:

Suck it up Jam Tart,  the extra 2,5 hrs is worth it!!!

Four of us northbound for the Universel tomorrow morning. Riding Tues-Thurs, out Friday. I usually make my reservations online but decided to call last Friday to see how conditions were. The Universel is great about telling you like it is rather than sugar coating what they have (or don't have). She said we were going to be fine and everything on the app is lighting up green with groomers running everywhere. If any of you haven't been, L'Estaminet downtown is a fantastic restaurant. Great food, massive beer and wine selection, excellent service...we go every night we are there. mikerider took our recommendation the last time I saw him in RDL, he knows!

And thank you, Big Lake.  L'Estaminer Restaurant is simply amazing.  I have never seen such a massive selection of beer. It will take me years to drink every one that they serve.

Today all the clubs in Bas St. Laurent are showing green and fully open except for two clubs. The two are showing yellow meaning open but not perfect.

As far as the Lottery goes, Years ago a voice from above gave me the choice  of being richer than rich,   OR,   having the most wonderful life with the most perfect woman on earth.  Looks like Smclelan will need to continue to stop in at the Universel and buy my beers.

22 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Well I guess it wasn't you who won the 1.3 Billion mega millions in Maine! One lucky son of a bitch!

Maybe Mike was the winner.  That's why he isn't going to RDL.  Mike is flying to Germany to snowmobile and drink beer there.

Jack & Sandi

8 hours ago, TheBigLake said:

Four of us northbound for the Universel tomorrow morning. Riding Tues-Thurs, out Friday. I usually make my reservations online but decided to call last Friday to see how conditions were. The Universel is great about telling you like it is rather than sugar coating what they have (or don't have). She said we were going to be fine and everything on the app is lighting up green with groomers running everywhere. If any of you haven't been, L'Estaminet downtown is a fantastic restaurant. Great food, massive beer and wine selection, excellent service...we go every night we are there. mikerider took our recommendation the last time I saw him in RDL, he knows!

Hi BigLake,

Sandi and I just pulled in to the Universal tonight.  The conditions look good and the front desk said the riding is good.  It isn't as deep as it normally is mid January but the map shows groomers were out last night.

We're going to ride tomorrow.  We will be at breakfast Tuesday morning around 7 am.  Look for an "older couple".  I have a grey beard and speak English! 😁

Jack & Sandi

Hi Everyone,

Quick update here.  Like I said above, there is snow.  From when we crossed the border, thru the Eastern Townships and all the way to RDL, there is snow on the ground.  It may have been a little deeper around Levis than here at RDL.  The trails we could see from auto route 20 looked passable and most were groomed.  There is a foot or so here at the Universal and the snow depth map shows more depth in the mountains.

There is only one other trailer in the lock up besides ours.  The restaurant is under renovation but you may eat at the bar.  Sandi and I are going there shortly for a nice meal.  That sandwich on the ride up is long gone and I have to replenish the cavern.

We will report back.

Jack & Sandi

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_01/IMG_0573.thumb.JPG.2ec64261f2bfee7e99600aca68fd17f1.JPG

Thanks Mark.  The groomers have been out and the forecast is below freezing all week.  A few cm of snow is forecast for tonight.

The grooming map shows two areas that aren't reporting.  One going down 85 toward Degelis and the other towards St Pamphile.  I can't imagine the two railbeds not being groomed.  Maybe the beacons were turned off in the groomers.  Sandi and I will be the boots on the ground or should I say the tracks on the trails!  😁

We will report back tonight.

Jack & Sandi

St. Pamphile club is reporting green as is the Cabano club (Degalis?) reporting green so they should be good.

If you're looking for a new place to go, not sure if you have ridden down to Moose Valley, NB , but a 5 star ride! However, grooming map on the necessary trail out of Squatec shows as red, not sure if it is really closed or not.

Plus you may remember our Baker lake trip into NB.  I remember Sandi really liking the two mile ride down the ice on Baker Lake to the restaurant.

10 hours ago, revct1 said:

Thanks Mark.  The groomers have been out and the forecast is below freezing all week.  A few cm of snow is forecast for tonight.

The grooming map shows two areas that aren't reporting.  One going down 85 toward Degelis and the other towards St Pamphile.  I can't imagine the two railbeds not being groomed.  Maybe the beacons were turned off in the groomers.  Sandi and I will be the boots on the ground or should I say the tracks on the trails!  😁

We will report back tonight.

Jack & Sandi

Hi Jack,

We just rolled in. The place is pretty empty but I’m sure it’ll fill up before the weekend. Where did you guys make it today?

- Mark

Edited by TheBigLake