2023 Riviere-du-Loup Trail Conditions

revct1

I can't believe we have never stopped here in all of the years we have been by St Bruno.  We always would stop in Mt Carmel to fuel up but that was just a gas station.

Which way should we go Sandi?  This is turning out to be incredible riding.  We head back on 5 east a few miles and at Club Belles Pistes du Rocher Blanc we go behind the clubhouse and take 557 south.  I look at the groomer parked on the side of the clubhouse.  What a pretty sight.  He was out all last night according to the map this morning.

A few tracks on the trail now.  Still smooth as glass.  I'm wondering about trail 35.  The grooming map has it listed as the club is not reporting.  This could mean many things.  I can't imagine the snow is too thin after what we have been riding on.  I don't think it would be closed.

We pull up to the intersection and two sled tracks have turned left onto 35 and I don't see anything wrong other than it needs a couple of more sled tracks.  Sandi, do you want to take the lead?

No, go ahead.  You might want to run that 850 a little.

You don't have to tell me twice.  I'm gone.  The sign says 35 km to Club Explorateurs.  That is 20 miles and it won't take long.  Usually 35 has a little ripple in it from the traffic but with the map not showing it open or condition, no one has been on it.  Thank you!

IMG_0592.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

We arrive at the road crossing to Club Explorateurs.  Oh where do I cross?  I remember this was changed last year.  I see the trail across the road.  I get halfway across the road and realize there is a ditch in front of me.  Hold up Sandi.  I goofed.  What else is new.

I look to my left and I see the trail crossing a few hundred feet up there.  I spin around and get bak with Sandi and see the sign for 35 east.  I guess I wasn't observant enough.  Cross the road and a short loop to the club house. 

Two other sleds are just leaving going down the railbed on 35 towards Pohenegamook.  Those are the first two sleds we have seen today.

The clubhouse is closed.  The sign on the door only says "Cash Only".  I don't see any hours posted.  Maybe there are only open on weekends?

Sandi is still having me lead.  I don't mind.  We head east on 526.  This has a sled track or two on it.  A little ripple to the surface underneath.  I am not complaining.  We have been on super trails all day.

We get to local 40 and remember this had a little sand and is used by the logging trucks this year.  To our left is 526 and no one has been on it today.  Not a tough choice.  We turn left and we are off.  Instead of taking the connector to 5, we stay on 526.  This used to be a narrow trail and a little cranky but has been opened up for logging maybe last summer but it isn't plowed or sanded.  Just a perfect Quebec trail.

We get to 85 and turn left.  Now this has had some traffic but is just as smooth as everything else.  A joyous ride back to the Universal.  We gas up the sleds at the Petro Can next door.  We like to fill up the sleds the night before.

What a wonderful ride.  I am so glad we decided to come up this week and not cancel.

There are some trails that are thin but there are other trails that are fantastic.  Sit back and enjoy the ride.

If you are thinking about coming up, you won't be disappointed.  Just realize that you may hit a bad trail but the good trails are phenomenal.

Jack & Sandi

Just adding a few things in:

Most of downtown is closed early in the week, usually Sun-Tues. We went to La Cage for dinner last night, it worked well. Tonight, we went to Symposium and it was stellar. If you hit Symposium or L’Estaminet you’re bound for excellence. The taxi service in town is good (we drive our rig but we’ve used the taxi before).

Breakfast this morning was the same it’s always been. We aren’t picky folks but the difference between the hotel and these places are night and day and so easy to get to.

We get up, grab breakfast, ride, return for nordic spa time, find dinner…rinse and repeat. 

9ACFDB0B-EE72-479B-B5D0-7A5572A9A923.jpeg

The hotel restaurant at the Sagueneenne a couple of weeks ago did not impress Sandi and I.  We think that the restaurant maybe under new ownership.  I think it is a separate entity from the hotel.  There were less choices on the menu and what we had was not as good as past years.

Here at the Universal, the main restaurant is closed for renovations as we all know but you can eat breakfast in the conference room and at night in the bar.  For the price of a meal here and at the Sagueneenne, there maybe better options in town.  Sandi and I have always ate at the hotel restaurants but the past few years we have been bringing some food that we can eat in our room for a change or going out once in awhile.

Another example is when the Delta at Lac St Jean brought in Boston Pizza to be the restaurant.  The Delta gave up a very nice restaurant they had that was nice French cuisine.  Oh I hope we don't see a Boston Pizza sign be installed on the Universal!

Maybe its a financing thing or staffing?  Whatever it is, the hotels are giving up some of their uniqueness.

Jack & Sandi

7 hours ago, NSHM said:

Any word on when  the Adventures clubhouse will open? That was always a very active place and where the groomers ran out of.

We rode by there today and there were a couple of sleds and vehicles.  I didn't notice if it was open. 

The google search says temporarily closed.

The club's website doesn't have any hours listed.

Jack & Sandi

Well Sandi.  A couple of inches of snow again last night.  It is getting better each day.  Lets go check out Squatec today.  We know 44 and 544 were good.

On the trail and the flats before Club Aventuriers isn't quite as snirty.  We start rolling down the railbed on 85.  Just a few miles in and we get to the junction with local 44.  There are a dozen sled tracks on 44 and 85 has zero sled tracks and it was groomed last night. 

Hmm?  We have to take 85.  I can't pass on this.  Sandi is off and running.

So nice.  Mile after mile is perfect.  Sandi's snow dust is in the air.  Like riding on a cloud.

Big orange signs saying construction ahead.  Yep, the trail has some yellow barrels and I can see big equipment running around.  It looks like they are widening the auto route thru here.  I think we are in the St Honore area.

Easy enough to get around.  Just pay attention.

Edited by revct1

Did a little recon for you guys today. Headed down 5 to St Bruno, but went out through the culverts down to 5 first. We stopped for fuel in Bruno to top off, we didn’t know where our destination was going to be.

As a side note, the 900 Turbo R Expedition is brutal on fuel! I don’t care, it’s a blast to run…buddies XTerrain RE 900R isn’t any better. Averaged 10.9 for the day.

Continuing west, you’ll run into 8 or so miles of plowed road, one of which goes through an active logging op. The base is good on the plowed parts. Ended up at Hiboux for lunch. Roche Blanc was open as well. Went down to 35 to figure out what the deal is with 35 and it showing up gray on the app. It’s had one pass or so I think with the groomer since the big snow, but it’s great running either way with some loose on top. Once you hit groomed, it’s the highway we know it to be. Explorers was closed, Adventurers was closed. It’s nice to see the doors opening up around here, but maybe 15 sleds seen all day on the trails. Three trailers in the lot right now.

Tourville tomorrow. Home Friday.

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_01/680635D1-3EFC-49ED-BF44-20E9AA52588A.thumb.jpeg.6c28fc654a19f3284e68b5ada798071f.jpeg

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_01/894F09B1-5A1E-48DD-B374-94E312D9589F.thumb.jpeg.3ced7a6d1348d8b7b4cbc08d682f16d3.jpeg

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_01/25B8C51D-DC0F-48E8-AA7B-A0FD59B04C01.thumb.jpeg.9b31957a55bbb53f59b61634474c2f1d.jpeg

Edited by TheBigLake

(Sorry guys.  I cannot load pictures.  On with the story.)

We stay on 85 until the junction with 35.  Now 35 hasn't had a response from the club as to grooming or condition.  The other side of 35 has been groomed coming from Squatec to the halfway point on the top of the ridge.  No sled tracks but I can see where at least the tractor has made a pass.  Follow me Sandi.  We will take our time.

I'd say 4"-6" of fluff on top of the trail.  The base feels good and I can see the cut for the trail easy enough.  We are on our way.  It is starting to snow pretty good.  It must have been snowing here all night with coverage they have.  We keep plowing along heading up the ridge.

We get to the auto road where the groomer turns around and yes the Squatec side was groomed.  A couple of inches of snow and looking fantastic.  A little stretch and we are on the downhill.  A lot of this has been opened up since I last remember.  Looks like there was logging activity earlier but nothing going on now.  Before we know it we are arriving at Sqautec.

We go down the street to the restaurant we eat at and it is closed.  That's not good.  We un along the side of the road because I know there is gas just around the corner.  Yep, there is the Esso station.  We pull in and fill up.  The attendant says that restaurant is closed but the old canteen is open again.  Good.  Anywhere to take a break and get a little food.

After lunch we are back on the trail 571 heading north.  This has seen a fair amount of traffic but still no bumps.  Thru St Rita and on 544 to St Cyprien.  A few changes here and there as typical from year to year.

544 is mint.  Groomed and enough traffic to give the trail a little texture for the skis.  We turn onto local 44 then 85 and we are back at the Universal.

Another wonderful day of riding Quebec trails.  The snow is getting better by the day.  There are still a few bad spots out there but if you do your homework, there is lots of great riding and no traffic.

Jack & Sandi

First picture is the log pile at Squatec.  Next is the restaurant in Sqautec and you can see the Esso station in the background.  Last picture is Sandi taking in the beautiful sunset today on 85 in RDL just before the 526 split.

Jack & Sandi

Hi BigLake.  Its been great riding up here this week.  Hopefully the snow will stay now.  I expect we will start seeing more sleds now that we posted a few pics.  It is really taking shape.  You should have a great ride to Tourville tomorrow.

Jack & Sandi

9 hours ago, mikerider said:

The crepe place closed a few ears ago  What Jack is showing is the place that replaced it. 

I wonder if the pizza place is still in business, was on 85 in DeAngelis or Canano.

Hi Mike.  I was thinking about taking a ride to the pizza place to see if it is still there.  It was good pizza.  Looking at google I think it is in Cabano and it might be "O P'tit Bar Resto Pizza four a Bois".

10 hours ago, jak said:

Thats the restaurant with the famous crepes! Mike will be back in RDL for sure! We gotta hit the pizza place too.

That is a hike for breakfast.

Jack & Sandi

The pizza place isn't well signed from the trail, but the trail goes right by the back of their building and rear parking lot, and as I recall , there is just a small sign that says 'pizza'.   Awesome food!