2023 Riviere-du-Loup Trail Conditions

revct1

1 hour ago, Yeti62 said:

Yes Pizza Place is Open was there December 30th Wood Fired Pizza in the Bee Hive Oven!!! 48 Miles from The Universel!!!

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_01/BD11A243-0BC7-415E-9A0A-A844FEA90655.thumb.jpeg.b3760036a6d563639c87b5003183e3f9.jpeg

Pizza is good but if you want wings and are hungry you better get a bunch.....last time here,they were the size of chickadees. They probably pay the neighborhood kids to pick em off their parents bird feeders with a bb gun.LOL

Looks like things are shaping up around RDL Jack. Glad you and Sandi are having a good week. My trip went well. Things are shaping up good in Quebec for sure.  I will be snowmobiling out of my house in Saint Agatha Maine and headed for the Universal around Feb 15. For a few days. Hope to see a few sledders then. 

Oilman

A quick update tonight.  JAK drove up today.  Sandi and I met him and went out to restaurant Estaminet tonight hence the late post.  Like everyone says, the food is good there.

Today's ride, the trails are fine.  We took 44, 544, 565 and 35 to Cabano.  The pizza place is in business but is closed Mon and Tue.  Opens at 4 pm Wed - Fri.  Opens at 11 am Sat & Sun.  So today we ate at Mike's in Cabano.

While we were in Cabano, we rescued a rider from the dreaded ditch along side of the trail.

IMG_0078.jpg

After the rescue and lunch, we ran back up 85 to 35 west.  35 is fine and goes around the top of Lac Pohenegamook.  I didn't see any stakes or tracks on the lake.  There was a red banner across the trail opening on the east side of the lake.  35 to 526 to 5 and back to Universal.

The best news is Relais Pohenegamook (two arches), Relais Explorateurs and even the little relais on trial 5 in St Antonin was open.  The season is upon us.

Jack & Sandi

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

So today there are three of us.  JAK joined Sandi and I for the ride.

The map is showing a lot of grooming.  We run 85, 44, 544 and then 571 into Squatec.  All of it is very nice.  Most of groomed last night and a few tracks ahead of us.  Just enough to give the trail a little texture for the skis.

Gas and lunch in Squatec where we ate the other day.  Then back on 571 south.  This didn't show being groomed earlier in the week so I wanted to ride it today.  It is a nice trail running the woods on the east side of Lac Temiscouata.  All but 2 miles in the middle was perfect.  The groomers didn't quite meet.  Other than that, it was a really nice ride thru the sugar farms.

In Degelis we picked up 85 north.  This had a little ripple to it from the traffic.  Still a fine ride.  We stayed on 85 until north of the road construction above St Louis du Ha Ha.  There we took 544 and 44 back to 85.  A nice little bypass off of 85.

Back at the Universal early enough to relax with a beverage or two.

This coming week is forecast to stay below freezing but not bitter cold.  A little snow coming Wed / Thu.

Jack & Sandi

Hi Mike,

Non-snowmobilers I don't know. 

There were only three trailers in the lock up yesterday morning, a few in the lot behind the car dealership and a half a dozen scattered around the hotel.

We are seeing a few sleds on the trails but that is compared to only two sleds the first two days that Sandi and I rode.  I'm sure there will be more snowmobilers as word gets out and people start believing the groomer map.

The conditions are very good.  There are thin spots near the river but up in elevation there is plenty of snow.  The ride yesterday thu Squatec to Degelis was fine.  Like I said, 85 had a ripple to it in the afternoon but a couple of miles before Relais Aventuriers the groomer was heading out.

Jack & Sandi 

5 hours ago, revct1 said:

Hi Mike,

Non-snowmobilers I don't know. 

There were only three trailers in the lock up yesterday morning, a few in the lot behind the car dealership and a half a dozen scattered around the hotel.

We are seeing a few sleds on the trails but that is compared to only two sleds the first two days that Sandi and I rode.  I'm sure there will be more snowmobilers as word gets out and people start believing the groomer map.

The conditions are very good.  There are thin spots near the river but up in elevation there is plenty of snow.  The ride yesterday thu Squatec to Degelis was fine.  Like I said, 85 had a ripple to it in the afternoon but a couple of miles before Relais Aventuriers the groomer was heading out.

Jack & Sandi 

We are heade that way soon. Leaving this evening from here in PA and will stay over somewhere in upstate NY then continue to the Universal for tomorrow night. Going to be headed right out Monday on a saddlebag trip. Thanks for your reports, although we had this trip planned all along your reports have given us some comfort. 

I had the pleasure of meeting Jack and Sandi on Thursday night! Super people.

35 seemed to be late or they had some blowdowns on Thursday, but they’d completed a huge task and it was open for business. Hammer down.

Tourville at Jasmin is always a winner. Gas 2.25/L. Great lunch. Moving averages were high that day!

Fortunate to be headed back with a stellar crew on Thursday right out of home base…I’ll be seeing RDL on Saturday afternoon. Excellent group on here, I feel fortunate to have met a few of you along the way and it hasn’t disappointed. Safe riding to all!

It was good meeting you also BigLake.  Always nice to put a face with a name.

Yesterday was our last day of riding.  We are heading to CT this morning.

Yesterday we did a loop thru Pohenegamook via 5, 526 and 35 to the Realis Pohenegamook, twin arches.  Then it was off to Cabano for pizza for lunch.  The pizza place was busy and there was only one waitress waiting on the lunch people and the customers on the bar side.  Needless to say it was over an hour there but the pizza is very good.

After lunch it was 85 north and then 565, 544, 44 and 85 back to the Universal.  No need to go into detail because all of the trails are turning out to be in fine shape.  The only area still thin is the lowland getting back to the Universal.  Other than that, you can ride most anywhere on fantastic trails.  The groomers are out every night and the traffic has picked up.  Yesterday being Saturday, we saw the most traffic that we have all week.

The forecast is for good temps and snow this Thursday.

If all goes well, Sandi and I will return to RDL the week of Jan 29th.  Hope to see some of you there.

Be safe and stay on the trail.

Jack & Sandi

Thanks Jack great reports as usual really enjoyed riding along with you and Sandi .... looking forward to seeing you both and Joe at the delta... two weeks and counting.. safe trip home
G&P

Well, we made it home.  No problems.  Vermont did get some snow while we were gone.  It was a sticky snow by the looks of the trees.

The Powerball hasn't been hit.  It is up to $500 million.  I got my ticket.  Maybe I'll take a limo to RDL next Sunday.  😁

Take care of the trails while we are gone and be safe everyone.

Jack & Sandi

The trails are as good as Jack and Sandi reported.  Good to be back in Quebec and enjoying all its culture.

I saw Saguenay Bill today at the club house with the two arches (Les Chevelliers). He looks great and still as sharp as a tack. He rode up from northern Maine, thru New Brunswick and into Quebec to have lunch. He has made a lot of friends in northern Maine and appears to be greatly enjoying life. 

mike

4 minutes ago, mikerider said:

The trails are as good as Jack and Sandi reported.  Good to be back in Quebec and enjoying all its culture.

I saw Saguenay Bill today at the club house with the two arches (Les Chevelliers). He looks great and still as sharp as a tack. He rode up from northern Maine, thru New Brunswick and into Quebec to have lunch. He has made a lot of friends in northern Maine and appears to be greatly enjoying life. 

mike

Damn, wish Bill had let us know he was coming up, would have liked to see him.

Hi Mark,    It is so good to be back up here.  Wish you and Lisa were here also, you always bring good times to this special place.  Riding is fantastic. When I headed north Saturday I was unsure if I would land in northern Maine or RDL.

Today 5 of us made the loop over to Rimouski and then down around through Squatec and back.  Plenty of snow on this loop, trails mint except may a dozen mile section with some small bumps.  220 mile day. 

We ate at a Tim Horton's near Rimouski. I had forgotten how good the food is there and how reasonably priced.

Only saw one club house open today (3 Pistoles).  Someone told me there is a famous chef doing barbecue now at the RDL club house. Supposedly he won best in world barbecue sauce recently.

Some of us have rooms at the back side of the hotel. Exceptionally nice rooms and in our hallway is a day room we can use: very big screen TV, easy chairs etc.  Very cozy. And great for happy hour!

Joe and I (me being almost 70 and Joe right behind me) were pretty proud we kept up with the young guys today.

My new PowerMadd Cobra windshield on the sled;  I couldn't be happier, very warm and much more stylish over the SkiDoo tall windshield.  Also added Shaper bars to the skis. Finally a Renegade that doesn't push in the corners when the snow is soft. Very happy!!!

mike

Went west and south today. Lots of snow and trails were amazing. The temp is now free falling and very windy.   1* F later and 50 km gusts,  12* F tomorrow.  Tuesday is another day of most clubs and restaurants closed.

Pics of the new Cobra windshield. So far I am thinking its much warmer that the Doo high shield. Definitely more vertical than the Doo  shield. And I like the styling more.  Just a few minutes to install but doesn't just snap off like the Doo.

IMG_1303.JPG

IMG_1302.JPG

IMG_1301.JPG