2023 Riviere-du-Loup Trail Conditions

revct1

We are heading back home to CT this morning.  Padragon and I rode the past two days in the Artic vortex.  Sandi stayed at the Universal.  I was wondering if we should have too.

Friday was a ride to Squatec.  We stayed on what was groomed as much as we could.  Trail 5, 565, 540 and 571 into Squatec.  This route is mostly in the woods but the fields were drifted and blowing snow pretty good.  Not many sleds out.  I wonder why?  🥶

We were too early for lunch so we had to stand on the porch for 10 minutes.  The shades were pulled down so we couldn't see in.  A few minutes before 11:00 am the door opens.  Boy does that heat feel good.

Planning our ride back, I was thinking about the way we came in and Padragon asked about trail 35?  I said it is over the mountain and a little further but shows groomed.  So we decide on 35.  I'm leading and about halfway up, I miss a right turn.  One of those spots where the "road" goes straight and you see the cut thru the trees but the trail goes to the right.  I ran past the turn by 20'.  A little tugging and pulling and the sled backs out.  Pay attention Jack.  Too cold to be making mistakes today.

Other than my little missed turn, it was a good choice.  It was cold at the top of the mountain but all wooded and the trail is like concrete.  With less wind than in the fields, it was good.  We turn right on 85 and cruise back to the Universal.  Not a long ride but we did ride.

Saturday it is warmer but not by much.  Padragon and I head out.  Again we look for the groomed trails. 
So 5 west to the little connector over to 526 and back to 85.  526 is a nice trail thru the woods.  If we time this right, we will be at Cabano around 11:00 for pizza.

85 going thru the construction is the worst of it today.  It is pretty open and the wind is blowing the snow around.  We take our time and make it thru.  Top the sleds off at the Shell station in Cabano and over to pizza.  Perfect, 11:00 am and the doors are unlocked.  We are the only ones here.  I thought there maybe a few locals coming in via car or truck but nope.  Just us two.

A couple of pepperoni pizzas and back on 85 north.  The wind has finally calmed down and it must be a balmy -20 C out here.  The sun is out and that makes it feel even warmer.  We turn left on 544.  This trail is perfect.  Not much traffic on it this year due to the logging going on local 40.  Saturday there are no logging trucks and the wind has blown in enough snow to cover up the sand on 40.  The last mile on 40 is old school rough.  This isn't getting groomed this season due to the logging.  We get to 526 and it is sweet looking.  We go straight on 526 to Explorer and then right on 561.  The trails are set up so good from the cold and no traffic makes it a perfect ride.  At trail 5 we turn right and finish the day into the Universal.

It was a cold two days but it is still snowmobiling in Quebec.  There is plenty of snow up here and the groomers are out every night.  After a late start with the snow in January, February should turn out to be a good month.  Pack up and head north.  The trails are waiting for you.

Jack & Sandi

I came home a week ago after staying in RDL for two weeks. Most club houses were not open on Mon and Tue. Even the one in RDL.  The one that seemed always open was the one in Tois Pistoles and maybe the one on Trail #5  about 75 miles west of RDL at the covered bridge.

The small one about 25 miles east of RDL on #5 looks to be closed for good as does the large one on #5 just before Rimouski on the power line.

Hopefully I am heading up tomorrow and staying for a week or two.

mike

Nice trip today south to Packington enroute to Baker Lake, N.B.  Last attempt couple weeks ago groomer turned around just after Packington so we couldn't get through. Today the loop trail from Packington down around to #85 20 miles below Cabanno is groomed. But the turn off to New Brunswick is not open.

jak needed to stop at the Cabano SkiDoo dealer,  Last time there two weeks ago I missed noticing he has a new building that I am guessing he will move into this spring. It is huge!!!  And just a few hundred feet from his old place which is small and cramped and looks like a dealer out of the 1960's. But a great bunch of people there.

Also tried a new restaurant in Cabano on #85.  Auberge Gare.   Very old red /w yellow house just feet from the trail, sledding south on #85 it is on the right just before entering downtown Cabano.  Inside you feel you entered an 1920's home.  There is a bar with stools and tables, and two other rooms, and it all looks like you are inside someone's home. Lots of antiques. Food was very good and very reasonably priced.  Great find.

mike

Hey Mike glad to see your back up there and enjoying some rides! Hope the weather the next 2 days cooperates for you guys. Wondering how long you’re going to up there I’m heading up next week either to universal or up to the delta not sure which yet. I would be driving up next Wednesday and riding for 4 days before coming home February 27th.

Bob, did you come to RDL couple weeks ago. looked for you but did not see you.

And GT Rider, remember, I want a table by the window at Lintinment Restaurant. Be great to see the both of you. If I am here, the key to the town and the truck is yours.

mike

Today turned out pretty nice considering the original forecast of rain and snow in the early afternoon.  Got a few miles out of town and it was nice and cold, mostly fresh groomed trails that were very hard and fast. Did a big loop going west and south. Coffee at the Explorers club and later lunch at the Adventure club.  Sun out more than in and stayed cold.

After lunch went over to the loop trail by Isle Verte. Had been seeing on the map there was a section showing no grooming this winter making the loop not possible. Sure enough, grooming ends by the island where they park the helicopter. So sad to loose this great section of trail.   A favorite loop.

130 miles and back by 1:30.

Finally picked up a new map for St. Laurent. Noticed a trail that looks like it leaves Quebec into New Brunswick and connects to their trail system. Going south on #35, few miles after Chevelier Frontier Club, there is a groomed trail going straight where #35 makes a left.   This used to go to a gas station many years ago and dead end. It now appears it connects to the N.B. tails system.   There are no signs at the intersection giving any advice. And it appears it is a hop and skip to the elusive Lac Baker,  (NB),  and the excellent restaurant there.  Also looks to be a short distance to the top of Maine.

4 PM and so far five minutes of sprinkles a couple hours ago.  Patches of clear sky showing now. Calling for rain and snow showers tonight, and tomorrow rain showers turning to snow and temps falling. A little more snow for Thursday night and Friday. Couple inches total.

mike

So, yesterday afternoon a few minutes of sprinkles,  same for a few minutes in the evening.  Basically nothing. My sled and truck this morning was dry. But it was a warm night and same this morning. This afternoon it started to get coder.

We did a 75 mile run this afternoon. The first miles getting out of town the snow was pretty wet. Once into the wood's trails the going was really nice. The snow had gotten a little wet but not much, and it was hardening up fast with the colder air. 

Surprisingly it looked like they groomed most of the trails last night, they were excellent. Did about 75 miles.

Parking lots are toast.

Thanks for the update Mike was wondering how everything was holding up up there. I figured getting out of the hotel might be a bit of a challenge for the first few miles but after that seems like it didn’t affect much. Cold setback in and a few inches of snow tonight and tomorrow should make for some great conditions again.