2023 Riviere-du-Loup Trail Conditions

revct1

Back home in Maine. A blast to be back in RDL. Always great to see mikerider and pick his brain on the area. Nobody better to ask and always willing to answer the same questions over. 🙂

As I told Mike at the round bar last nite, RDL is Disneyland for sledders…the only thing missing is Mickey Mouse ! Back in 9 days for 4 days of riding then put them away til December.

9 hours ago, mikerider said:

When I headed for home today(Monday) , the gas station next to the hotel was still closed.

Update:  When we returned yesterday afternoon from our beautiful ride, the PetroCan was open.  We gassed up there last night.  Back to normal.

St Bruno doesn't have gas.  The store is open the pumps have a paper sign on them.  The lady inside doesn't speak any English.  All I could get was "No Gaz."

The trails are in top shape right now.  Terrific base, smooth with a little little snow on top.  Absolutely perfect!   http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/emoticons/default_drinks.gif

Jack & Sandi

Edited by revct1

Yesterday we stopped at a restaurant over by Squatec that we have never been to.  Maybe others have.

The restaurant is off of trail 546 and on auto route 232.  The turn off is 7 or 8 miles east of the 571, 546 and 35 junction in Squatec.  The trail was groomed and somewhat marked.  The cul-de-sac is just under 2 miles to the restaurant. 

There is another cul-de-sac a little further east that is not groomed and signed for Lac-des-Aigles.  That is not the trail.

The name of the restaurant is Resto Chez Lelou.  The signs on the trail are not appealing but the restaurant is a appealing and a fine stop for lunch.  The two ladies working there both spoke good English.  The restaurant is clean inside and seats 20 - 30 people.  The four of us had two chicken wraps, a club sandwich and fried chicken.  The portions are good and the prices reasonable.

Since the bigger restaurant closed in Squatec, we have been eating at the cantine by the gas station.  Which is fine but small and a little cramped.  Resto Chez Lelou is an alternate that is close by.

Jack & Sandi

Well, our last trip for the season has ended.  Yesterday we did a ride east on 5 to Relais Moulin.  A u-turn after a short break and down 571 to Squatec for gas and our new lunch stop Resto Chez Lelou.  It was packed with Quebec sleds.  I guess the locals know this place.  Then a direct ride 571, 544, 44, 85 back to RDL.

The trails this year had a late start but once the snow came, the clubs have been out grooming like crazy.  Thank you to all the groomers and volunteers that make this sport so enjoyable!  http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/emoticons/default_drinks.gif

Everyone be safe over the summer and we hope to see you next season.

Jack & Sandi

Thanks Jack. Added a new waypoint to my GPS for the lunch spot !

Had gas marked outside Squatec a few miles on 35 heading towards StLouis da haha….but didn’t see it last trip. Must be an old waypoint I had set. Where is the current gas options there in Squatec so I can fix it?

Edited by EastMark

Thanks Jack,  love riding along with you and Sandi, sad we didn't get to see you both this year... great reports as usual thanks for sharing...  have a safe trip home and looking forward to seeing you next year.....   all the best Gary & Pat..

11 hours ago, revct1 said:

Well, our last trip for the season has ended.  Yesterday we did a ride east on 5 to Relais Moulin.  A u-turn after a short break and down 571 to Squatec for gas and our new lunch stop Resto Chez Lelou.  It was packed with Quebec sleds.  I guess the locals know this place.  Then a direct ride 571, 544, 44, 85 back to RDL.

The trails this year had a late start but once the snow came, the clubs have been out grooming like crazy.  Thank you to all the groomers and volunteers that make this sport so enjoyable!  http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/emoticons/default_drinks.gif

Everyone be safe over the summer and we hope to see you next season.

Jack & Sandi

Thank you Jack for all of your reports this season. We enjoyed following along with You and Sandi. 

We hope to see you next season. I have to make reservations earlier next time around.

1 hour ago, mikerider said:

I am beginning to think the sport of snowmobiling is really just a fun way to go out to lunch.

and breakfast and dinner and coffee breaks .....

Boat show season has ended for us! Looking forward to loading up for another ride this week.

Inbound to RDL Friday evening for two nights. Dropping in St Pamphille Friday AM. Only a 1.5hr drive from home to there, and it cuts off a bunch of mileage that my wife or the other couples would prefer not to run. 287mi from home to RDL I believe. So 140-180mi days of fantastic riding in our future. My wife’s first ride of the season…just received a promotion so she’s been busy, but what a great time for her to kick it off either way. Two couples joining us. Heading up the typical Universel/L’Estaminet experience, one couple has been up with us a few times, for the other it’ll be an introduction to the epitome of fine trail riding.

Hoping you all are well - Jack, I was hoping to connect with you and Sandi again. Great meeting you both a while back.

Back up yesterday for a few days. Rode the afternoon. Traffic light. Trails were great. Much softer with higher temps and even a little mist for a bit but very good. 2 weeks ago it was COLD and hard trails so spring riding is almost here til temps drop again.

Looks like 35 out of Squatec was groomed last nite so we will hit it at some point today ! We like the twists and turns and elevation changes on that trail.

I missed the gas in Squatec last trip. Where are the current gas options there again ?

Hi EastMark

There is a Gas station on the same street as the Esso. You have to get there around the back. 35 to 571 you cross a lake. There are signs going to Belize (sp). It’s a Crevier.

Edited by GT Rider

Evening,

Rolled into the Universel tonight. Parked in St Sabine and rode up. The conditions are getting thin in a few spots where you have to run roads before you hit St Pamphille. Once on the outbound side, plenty of base and excellent riding.

You can tell the days are getting longer. Any spot the sun can cast a decent swath of light, you’ll find a dip in the trail. 35 was a little lumpy but still great cruising and smiles all around from my wife and two other couples with us. Sunny, warm and ideal spring riding. 526 got plowed, but good base. Some nasty rises close together, something to watch out for and it’s not for long before you’re back on track. BUT, 40 is flat and perfect after being plowed for a while this year. Finest seven miles around and it’s crazy wide right now, and 544 was stellar from that point to 85.

Headed down to Sully tomorrow for lunch. Back to the trucks Sunday.

Hearing big storm next week?

So 3 1/2 days at Universel. Always great. One day was a warm day…some push/track spin on the first mountainish section of 35 out of Squatec but fun. Shady sections just  great.

The rest of our week was great as well. They are dumping snow at road crossings. That time of year…but a GREAT time to ride springtime conditions. Morning is best…afternoon still really good. Grooming was often and great. Can’t wait to go back next year ! Nothing compares.

So of about 600 miles of trails literally 95% was mint. So fun. Sled started popping “battery” fuses on the way back last ride thankfully. Towed from Chevaliar (2 arches) 62 miles down a flat 35 and flat 85 railbed. So fun to get back to RDL for a ride with friends !

Get it in now while you can!

Riding is exceptional, really. 85 to Temiscouata yesterday was a great burn. Over to Sully for lunch, that burger was worth the wait. More traffic than I’ve ever seen out here but good stuff all around. Didn’t hit a bad trail yet. 

It’s that time of year and unless another storm hits, the in-town material will fade quickly. I lost the turbo on my new Expedition SE Turbo R (blew the cooling line) so my ‘21 XRS 900T has been seeing some use (fantastic sled). Thinking this may be the last ride in QC for us this year. Back to St Sabine today to load up/head home. 

Signing off ‘til December. You all stay well!

Toying with the idea of going to RDL tomorrow for a few days of day loops from the hotel.  Anyone in the area with updates on how things look around the area? Are trails deserted or still people riding the area?

mike