Joliette/Grand-Mere by #3/#63 trails photo ride-report January 15, 2023

towing

Here is the ride we did last Sunday

carte_f9BqVuTsesneJcLsSPxtZM.jpg

With the good snowfall on Friday followed by a mild temperature night, we already knew that the trails conditions would deteriorate  quickly under the effect of traffic, so we postponed our departure to Sunday. We launched directly from the home in St-Thomas de Joliette on Sunday morning under a beautiful sun and a temperature of -15C.

DJI_0551_47Ac6H8ormMnFZzQyD9PBD.JPG

Superb winter conditions, very hard frozen groomed trail  giving ideal conditions. Here on #3 towards Berthierville

DJI_0552_vrdfna6mBU83tP7jDczAjo.JPG

The wood sections were very snowy

DJI_0561_7vj2ey2HzAFwyMibmzAuUw.JPG

Nice encounter on this winter morning

DJI_0570_7AiqmFrGF84x8MJ6RfUihQ.JPG

DJI_0571_nCgCNFXqcrfkVyTESWb4qs.JPG

The La Chaloupe river is ok but stay in the marked trail!

DJI_0577_42wVTLo8Bh8EenLXTc9tcW.JPG

We continued on #3 to the east with perfect conditions

DJI_0583_6b41ZzBcPaT73uhYQZw2MB.JPG

Another great encounter! they weren't nervous at all, just happy to run outside

DJI_0585.JPG

In the St-Barthelemy sector where the trail get souther the snow was a little swept but on an icy base it ride very well

DJI_0588.JPG

I chose to keep #3 and go through Maskinonge village instead of #63 which goes through St-Justin. It's good but there is a section of 500' swept away where you can see the dirt. In the afternoon we came back by St-Justin on #63 instead and it's more snowy

DJI_0597.JPG

Here Ste-Ursules sector

DJI_0600.JPG

DJI_0602.JPG

We are used to heading between #3 and #63 via St-Sévère but the Rivière du Loup that we have to cross direct on the ice is not safe yet so we opted for #63 trail

DJI_0605.JPG

We took a break on the beautiful site of the Magnan Falls in Charette

DJI_0621.JPG

The falls are usually completely frozen but this year you can still see the water flowing

DJI_0630.JPG

DJI_0632.JPG

We continued on #63

DJI_0647.JPG

And took the #3 towards St-Étienne

DJI_0656.JPG

And crossed the St-Maurice on the #3 at the height of La Gabelle. A few slush spots but it's marked and rides well

DJI_0667.JPG

The east side of the St-Maurice was a little rougher but still ride well and the snow cover is very good

DJI_0677.JPG

We stopped to eat at pizzeria du Lac at Lac à la Tortue near Grand-Mère.

DJI_0681.JPG

After a good meal break we left and retraced our steps on the same route with a few exceptions. Here in the area of Notre Dame du Mont-Carmel

DJI_0686.JPG

We did a pitstop in St-Étienne. Unlike past years where the trail passed in the yard between the gas station and the BRP NC dealer, the trail this year passes behind NC and you have to take a very short trail to go to gas or at NC

DJI_0716.JPG

We saw this impressive dogs team on the way back, there are 2 wide...

DJI_0726.JPG

We took a break again at the Magnan Falls in Charette but at the top of the falls this time

DJI_0736.JPG

As I said at the beginning it's rare to see the water in the falls it's usually all hard frozen

DJI_0744.JPG

We then continued west. The trail conditions had deteriorated a little since our lunch but from the fork of the #350 St-Paulin sector it became very beautiful and fast again until St-Cuthbert.

DJI_0753.JPG

Here a snow bridge not far from the village of Ste-Ursules

DJI_0764.JPG

We took the #63 to go through St-Justin, it was superb

DJI_0769.JPG

We came across the Dozer de St-Barthelemy without the drag which was at finishing some work on the trail

DJI_0777.JPG

We went through St-Norbert to come back, the trail was more bumpy from the traffic but it was ok

DJI_0787.JPG

We were back home around 4:30 p.m. with 322kms (200miles) of happiness on the meter!

DJI_0796.JPG

I know that most of you won't ride that south but the good news is that the trail network enlarge and is getting more and more connected to spread the traffic through. There are few rivers mostly along the St-Laurence river that are not ready yet. St-Maurice river is crossable but the trail on the river is not ready yet. The interactive map seems pretty accurate now on the trail condition. 

If we can keep getting January like temperature it will be perfect...

Bye!

Alain

Edited by towing

just saaaahhhhhWEET !!! Love the fields. Have ridden through all those towns but it's been quite a few years. Dont get those long straight, flat stretches too often where I ride mostly in the bush. Makes me long to go south. Alain, it didn't look busy in your photos with the free weekend and all. Mon ami Andre reports 200 sleds at Repos at 11 a.m. this past Friday. That groomer in the one pic looks like it had no drag ??? 

Congrats to you, Kristine & company on another perfect adventure !!!! And as ALWAYS THANKS FOR SHARING !!

On 1/16/2023 at 7:27 PM, GSX800 said:

Thank you for the awesome reports.

My pleasure GSX800, kristine with her new camera took great shots!

23 hours ago, viper2 said:

Thanks for the report Alain, looks like the region is almost fully opened up

You are welcome viper2, we still have some rivers that are not ready but it is surprisingly good, considering the lack of real cold we had. We just got a bit in the last 3 days and it will go back to milder weather for the rest of the week... last year we had already got many nights in the -25C /-30c bracket.

22 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

just saaaahhhhhWEET !!! Love the fields. Have ridden through all those towns but it's been quite a few years. Dont get those long straight, flat stretches too often where I ride mostly in the bush. Makes me long to go south. Alain, it didn't look busy in your photos with the free weekend and all. Mon ami Andre reports 200 sleds at Repos at 11 a.m. this past Friday. That groomer in the one pic looks like it had no drag ??? 

Congrats to you, Kristine & company on another perfect adventure !!!! And as ALWAYS THANKS FOR SHARING !!

You are welcome Snowmaster! I like alot riding those fields, it's very relaxing. On the ride we did I had not really sees more traffic from the free weekend, we did see few old sleds but not that many. The north side have been a lot busier with people dropping in St-Zenon/St-Michel, many guys from ontario and us that have enjoy the free weekend there. The dozer was at making some pile of snow with the front blade for installing more stakes, a lot easier for him to maneuver forward/backward without the drag! 

14 hours ago, Florida Snowman said:

Thanks for another great report Alain & Kri! So enjoyable to read. Hope to meet you both again this year somewhere on the trails!

You are welcome Florida Snowman, i'm not as recognizable with the skidoo as I was with the yammy but Kristine's jacket can be a good hint, it would be a pleasure to shake your hand on the trail!. Wish you a good season and a safe nice trip this week...

5 hours ago, DooTents said:

Looks like a great ride. Where would be the best spot close to your starting point to park for day?

I’m about 2 hours away.

Thanks

Will PM you...