Zec Martin Valin

Padragon800

So me and my dad are up in Valinouët riding for the week todays our last day riding. Leaving KM31 we got stopped not by a FCMQ agent but by a zec martin Valin agent. Supposedly new this year you have to have a special permit on top of the Quebec seasonal permit to ride the trails up here in the Mt.Valin area. Is anyone aware of this this is the first year for it and I knew nothing about it and of of course  he gave both of us citations and will mail us our fine. Needless to say we were pretty upset considering we have never even heard of the new permit situation. And this on top of the seasonal permit seems a bit outrageous and greedy. It’s supposedly $15 a day extra per sled to have the special permit to ride Valin area not sure if they offer a seasonal pass

Edited by Padragon800

is it fair? When you pay for a pass already? No, but is their sandbox we are playing in. They make the rules. 

from FB ZEC Martin Valin

A little reminder:

Since the ZEC is in operation this winter, all people who circulate in the territory, whether by vehicle or snowmobile, on federated trails, off-piste or on multi-purpose roads are obliged, according to Article 19 of the Controlled Operating Areas Regulation, to register before going there. Online check-in is available for those who do not go through the reception station... 

I just looked in FCMQ and could not find anything that describes this

i know the Onatchiway has the additional fee that you pay at the gate

1 hour ago, Padragon800 said:

So me and my dad are up in Valinouët riding for the week todays our last day riding. Leaving KM31 we got stopped not by a FCMQ agent but by a zec martin Valin agent. Supposedly new this year you have to have a special permit on top of the Quebec seasonal permit to ride the trails up here in the Mt.Valin area. Is anyone aware of this this is the first year for it and I knew nothing about it and of of course  he gave both of us citations and will mail us our fine. Needless to say we were pretty upset considering we have never even heard of the new permit situation. And this on top of the seasonal permit seems a bit outrageous and greedy. It’s supposedly $15 a day extra per sled to have the special permit to ride Valin area not sure if they offer a seasonal pass

I find nothing saying trail riders need pay to register in the ZEC

where did you stay? If your truck is on the ZEC you need pay to enter. If you are on groomed trail only with 2023 trail pass is not necessary to register or pay. The minute you go off trail riding it’s a new game. 

He stopped you on TQ93?

Alain said a few years ago this was a slippery slope they started down with the trail north of Saint Donat. I'll boycott the area if this is how it's gonna play out. Lots of other places to go ride. I can see the off trail crowd being a target. On trail group has already paid their dues imo.

https://www.journaldequebec.com/2022/11/07/monts-valin-de-nouveaux-frais-pour-les-motoneigistes

Google Translate:

Snowmobilers who want to have fun this winter on the Monts-Valin, in Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean, will now have to register and pay to access it, as well as to travel on the territory of the ZEC Martin-Valin. This pilot project stems from the decision in assembly, a few days earlier, to open the ZEC year-round. The off-trail snowmobile activity, for example, will cost $10 per day per snowmobile and additional patrollers will be deployed on the territory. “There is a lack of coordination to fully understand what is coming this winter,” said the general manager of the Federation of Snowmobile Clubs of Quebec, Stéphane Desroches. We were not consulted directly.” The unveiling of the project provoked many reactions among members of the ZEC. Currently, the only information available about the project is on the ZEC Martin-Valin Facebook page. A video of the assembly was published there, but the management of the organization is slow to unveil the project publicly. Its director, who was to call back the TVA Nouvelles team on Monday, did not do so.

Despite certain concerns, the Fédération des Clubs de motoneigistes du Québec, which is working on a project aimed at better regulating off-trail snowmobiling in Québec, sees the initiative in a positive light. "It's good and I congratulate the ZEC since it could encourage others to further develop their territory in winter, but I still wonder how they are going to check all the snowmobilers on such a large territory", he indicated.

We’ll be riding through the area on the 7th and 7th.  I guess if we don’t see anyone we’ll just pass. If someone is there checking we’ just hand the guy $100 for the six of us and hope that that is acceptable. Not looking for trouble or arguments.

11 hours ago, GT Rider said:

https://www.journaldequebec.com/2022/11/07/monts-valin-de-nouveaux-frais-pour-les-motoneigistes

Google Translate:

Snowmobilers who want to have fun this winter on the Monts-Valin, in Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean, will now have to register and pay to access it, as well as to travel on the territory of the ZEC Martin-Valin. This pilot project stems from the decision in assembly, a few days earlier, to open the ZEC year-round. The off-trail snowmobile activity, for example, will cost $10 per day per snowmobile and additional patrollers will be deployed on the territory. “There is a lack of coordination to fully understand what is coming this winter,” said the general manager of the Federation of Snowmobile Clubs of Quebec, Stéphane Desroches. We were not consulted directly.” The unveiling of the project provoked many reactions among members of the ZEC. Currently, the only information available about the project is on the ZEC Martin-Valin Facebook page. A video of the assembly was published there, but the management of the organization is slow to unveil the project publicly. Its director, who was to call back the TVA Nouvelles team on Monday, did not do so.

Despite certain concerns, the Fédération des Clubs de motoneigistes du Québec, which is working on a project aimed at better regulating off-trail snowmobiling in Québec, sees the initiative in a positive light. "It's good and I congratulate the ZEC since it could encourage others to further develop their territory in winter, but I still wonder how they are going to check all the snowmobilers on such a large territory", he indicated.

Looks like $10 for off trail riders?

1 hour ago, GSX800 said:

We’ll be riding through the area on the 7th and 7th.  I guess if we don’t see anyone we’ll just pass. If someone is there checking we’ just hand the guy $100 for the six of us and hope that that is acceptable. Not looking for trouble or arguments.

I doubt that will be acceptable. We tried to do that, and they are pretty strict and buy, The book. Guy was kind of a real a hole too.

6 minutes ago, 800steve said:

Looks like $10 for off trail riders?

It’s definitely for all riders riding the area not just off trail guys.