Team Vermont, heading nord

dooright

1 hour ago, mikerider said:

I've been to Abitibi Canyon.  Really nice ride to what feels like middle of nowhere. 

I always wondered if you could find the town of Moose Factory north of the canyon without a guide.

There is a guided trip to Moosonee/Moose Factory on James Bay. Took the train a few years ago-f-----g cold there/sun very low in sky/roads just hard compressed snow/ice & trucks driving out on the ice to Moose Factory. Ice road starts there up to Ft. Albany. Black Escalade on flat car was heading there!

Just now, Muskoka2 said:

There is a guided trip to Moosonee/Moose Factory on James Bay. Took the train a few years ago-f-----g cold there/sun very low in sky/roads just hard compressed snow/ice & trucks driving out on the ice to Moose Factory. Ice road starts there up to Ft. Albany. Black Escalade on flat car was heading there!

I think the guide is necessary to get you safely across the rivers-Abitibi & Moose-pretty wide rivers!

5 hours ago, mikerider said:

Also heard stories that the guide has keys to gates needed to get up there. I would've been happy doing the train, but always arrived at Cochrane on the wrong day.

It does the round trip week days except one + Sat. I believe. Stops randomly in the bush to let trappers on/off! Sched. on Ont. Northland