Hand Signals

Signfan

Just to stir the pot. Would run a poll, but not sure how to do that. What is everyone's feelings on them? Yea or nea? I am one that provides them. Not because I really ride differently when I'm signaled. But because I want to ensure whoever I'm meeting knows my wife is following and I don't want her or my kids getting ran into.  yes I have one hand off the bar, but Im in control or you wont see a signal.Just to stir the pot. Would run a poll, but not sure how to do that. What is everyone's feelings on them? Yea or nea? I am one that provides them. Not because I really ride differently when I'm signaled. But because I want to ensure whoever I'm meeting knows my wife is following and I don't want her or my kids getting ran into. yes I have one hand off the bar, but Im in control or you wont see a signal.

4 hours ago, PINKM1 said:

Just my personal opinion... but I prefer that everyone keeps both hands on the bars at all times. How often do you ride one handed if not signaling someone coming at you?       If you want to signal, buy a Ride Light.

That's exactly what I did back 3-4 years ago. Look, hand signals in a congested and populated area with lot's of people riding are damn near pointless I get that. But I mostly ride remote northern bush area's and sometimes I am solo. Always seems after hours (or sometimes days) I would finally pass someone and many times it was in a precarious situation and NOT safe to take a hand off the bar. I have always (and still do) feel some sort of ethical obligation in these remote areas to do my part and let other riders know what may or may not be behind me. When I got the Ride Light years ago I got two of them and gave one to my primary riding partner as a gift. We diligently use them. Biggest thing to remember is flicking the switch from green to orange depending on who is leading. Many riding groups consist of 3,4,5,6 people all the time and MOST of those always have the same lead and back guys. In that situation you only need two Ride Lights and the whole group is covered. Never understood why it hasn't caught on more. My 3.5 day Christmas week ride out of St Zenon/Michele area's (with over 1000 riders) only showed two other sleds with them. I can attest to the Ride Light's quality as with all my stuff it's usually put through the ringer...LOL. It's a very well constructed unit and we have had ZERO issues with it. The switch is a 3 way. Solid green, solid orange or flashing orange. The flashing orange even works when no power is applied as there is a changeable 9 volt battery inside. Another trailside safety item to get someone's attention. And yes I have used that feature ...LOL

I often chuckle thinking to myself there are probably many conversations at trailside stops with people who have recently passed me. "Hey, what was that green light on that dude's sled? "    Smart guy in group...."Did you notice he was alone and never even thought of signaling ?? "

My personal opinion. I would rather people keep their hands on the bars. I see to many shaky riders with one hand. Usually the first sled is a surprise anyways,  so just stay to your side and slow down a bit. Chances are if you haven't seen a second sled in 5 seconds there are no more sleds with that group. I really don't need a hand signal. In a straight away you can usually see the next person and if its in a curve you should be on your own side and both hands on the bar for the turn anyways. And then you get those newbies that think you are waiving at them lol.

I get a chuckle most of the time I see what I believe are completely unnecessary signals. When a lead sled goes by with a signal, great. What I find amusing is when a sled is 20 ft behind that one and shows same signal. Even more amusing is when a group of 10 all bunched up 20 ft apart all signal. I usually do not signal because It is usually a spot where I do not feel comfortable taking a hand off handlebars. 

I once had a guy in my group of 7 or 8...20 years old...I was the last guy and sleds were coming at me all day on the hammer even around corners...then on the second day I noticed this clown giving everyone the closed fist that went by...I asked him what the hell he was doing that for...he said..ride on brother...he had no idea that meant...there's nobody behind me...evidently everyone else knew what it meant.That's why I ride out in the bush, were the serious riders are and no traffic.

both hands on the bars please  in all my years of riding every close call was because of someone trying to signal me when clearly their hands on the bars would have been a lot safer   i guess its personal preference but please don't get angry at the people that don't use hand signals  safety first

• 4 weeks later...

I like the light idea, but likely would not invest in the aftermarket system already out there. 

I do hand signal, when it takes me no effort or raises any concerns or possible safety risk to my riding (corners, hills, rough trails, etc…). 

I also actually slow down when oncoming sleds are approaching out of respect to the other rider who may not be as confident as me on the trail. 

And I always assume there is a sled coming the other way - tight to the right unless I have a clear line of sight. 

If I can throw a signal I will, if I'm not comfy with taking a hand off the bar, I don't.  I know this is a QC discussion page, but just wanted to throw in what happened to me with both hands on the bar.  Speaking of riding right...this happened within 35 miles on first day of my first ride at end of December.  Riding around the Old Forge area from Stillwater Rez, came upon 3 guys coming at me.  Passed the first guy ok, don't remember a hand signal, lol.  2nd guy just lost the front end of his kitty cat and crossed the trail right in front of me...no where to go, tried to turn as far right as I could, saw his wide eyes, heard the crunch and over the bars we both went!  Luckily it was just a couple of busted sleds and a tweaked back(probably due to age) and some bruises.  Could have been A LOT worse and I could have rode it out, but you see that drop of oil in the snow...cracked my oil tank.  All experienced riders.  He was the youngest of the group at 58.  He felt terrible and immediately owned it 100%.  I'm 55 and been riding for 30 years.  First time I've ever had this happen to me and hopefully the last!  It's not always the young throttle jockeys.  Just a mistake on his part, happened in the blink of an eye.  Finally picking up the sled tomorrow, ugh.     

Ouch.JPG

Ouch 2.JPG

Ouch 3.JPG

1 hour ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Man Stei that is a hell of a story. Glad no one got hurt. Goes to show everyone anything can happen in a blink of an eye.

we are all vulnerable and I for one can’t believe it doesn’t happen more often. Knock on wood

x2 - it really is odd, and good, that it does not seem to happen more often.

My sleds are normally set up to be predictable, but you hear from some that deal with serious twitchy or darting front ends, thankfully I have not had that issue except for one sled that ended up being a ski alignment issue, but it really messes with your confidence until you find the fix!

I gave up on the hand signal thing. For various reasons I have a hard time keeping my hands warm. I gave up on gloves, and switched to mittens. Obviously I can still hand signal, but I can't indicate how many sleds.  I bought a ride light, and I acknowledge the hand signals of other riders with a head nod, and just keep my hands on the bars.  I think anyone that meets a sled on the trail, is going to expect another one, or they certainly should. I think we have all seen people signaling the closed fist, with no clue there is another group of sleds behind them, even though a mirror is required in Quebec....Also I am sure we have seen people with ride lights set on the wrong color. 

It is a subject that I don't think will ever go away. The bottom line is we all need to stay on our side of the trail, in control of our machine. If we can't, we are more than likely exceeding the speed limit. There is a lot of horsepower out there...

Edited by wng-2

• 2 weeks later...

https://nhfishgame.com/2023/03/08/one-injured-in-single-vehicle-rental-snowmobile-crash-in-pittsburg/

"Although it is a common practice, the NH Fish and Game Department reminds riders that hand signals are not mandatory and recommends that riders keep both hands on the handlebars at all times."

Deitsch stated the crash occurred while he was operating south on Corridor 142 when he lost control of his snowmobile while attempting to give a hand signal to a passing rider.