What to do?

2018RENAGADEXRS850

We have a trip planned next week leaving from Labannik in Ville Marie to Val D’or for a night then straight up 93 to Chibougamau then back the same route the next day. Chibougamau has been on our list to do and we were really looking for to it until we saw the weather forecast of -29c on the way up and -25c on the way back without the windchill factor. It’s approx 450km from Val-d’Or to Chibougamau one way.
Since we have never ran 93 north before it would be appreciated if the experienced members could say nay or yeah. Is this too remote to travel with these temperatures? If so what would be some other options? Appreciate your advice.

Thank you so much.

We are running that same trail from Chibougamau to Val-dor in a couple weeks we are coming from Roberval though never ran it straight to Val-dor though always went to Mattagami then to val Dor. Seems like a long day but should be okay.let us know how the trails are.

Have a great trip 

Zrtkat 

1 hour ago, zrtkat said:

We are running that same trail from Chibougamau to Val-dor in a couple weeks we are coming from Roberval though never ran it straight to Val-dor though always went to Mattagami then to val Dor. Seems like a long day but should be okay.let us know how the trails are.

Have a great trip 

Zrtkat 

Wow! Am I reading your post correctly Jeff?  Roberval to Val D OR via Chibougamau in one day? If so that's a big 450 mile day. You guys are truly high milers! I guess that comes with your past profession LOL.

47 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Wow! Am I reading your post correctly Jeff?  Roberval to Val D OR via Chibougamau in one day? If so that's a big 450 mile day. You guys are truly high milers! I guess that comes with your past profession LOL.

Plc no we are running from Val-dor to parent staying overnight  then staying in Roberval the next 2 nights then proceeding to Chibougamau overnight stay then back to Val-dor 450 Mile day is too much for me .lol

Zrtkat 

3 minutes ago, zrtkat said:

Plc no we are running from Val-dor to parent staying overnight  then staying in Roberval the next 2 nights then proceeding to Chibougamau overnight stay then back to Val-dor 450 Mile day is too much for me .lol

Zrtkat 

That's better. You won't have any problem doing Chibougamau to Val D Or. A few years ago we did the same  and we were stopping  often and spent some time at the warm up shack east of Val D Or and we were still at the Hotel by 4 PM. The next day we rode to North Bay.

Done that stretch, 2 days at -40F.  Expect sleds that won't start. A few extra stops to warm up. And anyone coming with less than a high windshield, tell them to stay home.

Guantlets a must.  One of those mornings at Chibig there were a lot of sleds that would not start. A lot.

23 hours ago, mikerider said:

Done that stretch, 2 days at -40F.  Expect sleds that won't start. A few extra stops to warm up. And anyone coming with less than a high windshield, tell them to stay home.

Guantlets a must.  One of those mornings at Chibig there were a lot of sleds that would not start. A lot.

Oh no, we have great gear, new sleds but zero windshields…..going to fly by the seat of our pants here. 
Thank you to all for taking the time to post your advice. It’s appreciated!

16 minutes ago, 2018RENAGADEXRS850 said:

Oh no, we have great gear, new sleds but zero windshields…..going to fly by the seat of our pants here. 
Thank you to all for taking the time to post your advice. It’s appreciated!

0 windshields? Good luck! LOL!

The old expression about the low windshield "if you want to look cool, your going to be cool". LOL

An extra vest for your chest and might not hurt to have a set of gauntlets in your bag.

Make sure you get a picture sitting on your sled in front of the big Chibougamau sign.

Have a great trip, good luck.

6 hours ago, DareDog said:

First ride out last year on my 22 renegade xrs no windshield. -15F. I froze.  I went 150 miles.  It was not fun. 

It’s going to be close to -30 this coming weekend in Chibougamau. We better get some windshields….

I ride with my kid and 2 or 3 of his buddies.  We had one who wouldn't listen and said no problem he won't get cold.  20 below and he got frost bite on his fore head.  My land they laughed him. So me being the adult I bought him a big wind shield for the next trip.  Now all was said was your sled is ugly.  He took it with a smile and said no more frost bite.  He doesn't use it around home but when going to Quebec it's on his sled for sure.  It's amazing the mean things they say to each other and just laugh. 

2 hours ago, 2018RENAGADEXRS850 said:

It’s going to be close to -30 this coming weekend in Chibougamau. We better get some windshields….

Good choice. The guys on here have been there done that for the most part. If they are all telling you something it is worth listening.

23 hours ago, Shore1066 said:

I ride with my kid and 2 or 3 of his buddies.  We had one who wouldn't listen and said no problem he won't get cold.  20 below and he got frost bite on his fore head.  My land they laughed him. So me being the adult I bought him a big wind shield for the next trip.  Now all was said was your sled is ugly.  He took it with a smile and said no more frost bite.  He doesn't use it around home but when going to Quebec it's on his sled for sure.  It's amazing the mean things they say to each other and just laugh. 

Your sons friends are good guys to tease the boy with the big windshield. This is what makes them tough and can handle criticism. To many softies being brought up in this world these days.