Exome helmet vs BV2S

chrisv

4 hours ago, chrisv said:

Who has tried out the new Exome helmet? I have a, when they first came out BV2S. I like everything about it except the weight. Never had a heated visor on it and never fogs up. I see the Exome is only $350 and the Bv2s is still $550. Would i be down grading going to the Exome?

Have you considered the CKX mission? I own one and it is hands down the best helmet I've ever worn. I've owned a few ski-doo helmets including BV2S and sold all of them.

Mission helmet would require heated shield at night,ran it for 2 seasons some days worked perfect,on colder days when I stopped to talk my rising breath would fog the shield ,riding with the shield slightly cracked it would normally clear up within a mile but at night or really cold days -30 I would have to plug in.Also found it colder than the bv2s.I hate plugging in .The exome is a major up grade to the previous modular helmet,which never failed me but the mask was cumbersome.The only downside in my opinion is still having to use the tampons in the mask.

48 minutes ago, ssr said:

Mission helmet would require heated shield at night,ran it for 2 seasons some days worked perfect,on colder days when I stopped to talk my rising breath would fog the shield ,riding with the shield slightly cracked it would normally clear up within a mile but at night or really cold days -30 I would have to plug in.Also found it colder than the bv2s.I hate plugging in .The exome is a major up grade to the previous modular helmet,which never failed me but the mask was cumbersome.The only downside in my opinion is still having to use the tampons in the mask.

I run a modular 3. Actually liked my modular 2 better as they omitted the adjustable air vent on back of helmet on 3

Heavy, leaky and builds up ice in tubes. That's ok by me as I have been running the Skidoo Modular when it came out in 98-99 and know it's quirks well.

What I also know is that I have NEVER fogged in any situation from -40 to +40. and have NEVER used or needed an electric visor. Sunshield works flawless and pop up modular lets me do...."the things I do" easy

Carry a couple extra side snaps with me in case one breaks and I'm good to go. And I have NEVER used those tampon cloth things either. I think with my discount I got my current one at 190.00 bucks. 

6 minutes ago, quebec bob said:

And the oxygen helmet is a much better helmet....this may be a price point situation

Unless…..you prefer to be able to open the front of your helmet at pumps, to discuss directions and stops, etc. at the point the Oxygen is definitely a great helmet but doesn’t fit….your preference.

Oxygen helmets are reportedly going to have a built in communicator system next year. Price point for the helmet is going to be around 1000 bucks U.S. Pretty pricey with too much technology to go wrong. Maybe that’s why they’re offering 30% off, trying to get rid of all the old stock.

yes communicators and music built in...very nice feature....early troubles with heated visors is a thing of the past...field of vision is very good...it's basically a heated helmet and built in neck protection is nice...a lot of people like the front opening of modular, it's convenient but mine kept icing up the latches and would not open on very cold days...like everything else...new technology costs money...and everyone today thinks every job is suppose to afford them everything that those with a lot of skill and sweat have...and walla...that also costs money... the light on the back is a great safety feature and is often visible when the tail lite isn't...unfortunately it looks like the future is becoming  more expensive...or less affordable ...depending on how you want to view it....and this sport was pricy to begin with

Never found this to be a sport for saving money  LOL

The best gear always costs more.

I have been using an Oxygen since they came out and really like it.  Like mentioned above you can not talk or hear anyone with the shield closed.  However that just proves it has an excellent seal.

On our recent QC ride saw mostly either Oxygen or BV2S helmets - I was actually surprised at the number of them.

I run the Mission - I like it, only plugged it in on the last day that started around -33 (feel like -45ish) with a high of -30 posted, not sure it got there though, seemed like it got colder as the day went on vs. warmer..... I was starting to get a bit of frost on the inside of my visor, nothing of a concern, but figured I'd plug it in for good measure.

Other two guys had modular helmets that really sucked, do not recall the names - but they are likely buying new helmets before the next trip, the one guy really liked the Oxygen helmets that he had a chance to look at when stopping at the warm up shacks!

Built in tunes and radio would be great if it came on the Oxygen standard, depending what platform you need to connect with in order for either of these to work - might make the Oxygen an even bigger seller.

I would like to have music, but not the hassle of ear buds or wires - communication with some or all of the group would be super nice too!

Edited by stoney

17 hours ago, quebec bob said:

...like everything else...new technology costs money...and everyone today thinks every job is suppose to afford them everything that those with a lot of skill and sweat have...and walla...that also costs money...

You saying all undocumented migrant citizens crossing the southern border also get a free Oxy helmet?! 

And they're pushing back, trashing NYC luxury hotels for free, waiting for the new comm/audio units?!

Makes ya go hmm...

On 2/4/2023 at 9:15 PM, smclelan said:

Never found this to be a sport for saving money  LOL

The best gear always costs more.

I have been using an Oxygen since they came out and really like it.  Like mentioned above you can not talk or hear anyone with the shield closed.  However that just proves it has an excellent seal.

As my buddy Rick always says ..."snowmobiling hasn't turned out to be the money-making proposition I thought it would be".

Edited by Gullyrider

Music/tunes in snowmobile helmet you say ??  Who woulda thunk.....

i have been riding with tunes in my helmet for probably 15 years now. Half of that cordless with the advent of Bluetooth 

in the early days I would install helmet speakers and a 1/8” female plug drilled into the back of the helmet and sealed up. Then just had to deal with the 4ft cord to an cheap MP3 player mounted on handlebars 

God has Bluetooth made it so much easier

Chris

You inspired us with the helmet tunes on our ride.

Lisa added them for a Rangeley ride last month and I added them this week for 3 days here in Portage. 

We like it ! Bought some cheap BT ones. $30-40. Work great. First sign of trouble we will upgrade to something better. Don’t want communicators. Just good BT tunes !  Thinking of these if anyone has experience with them. 

https://www.syphonsound.com

Mark

I got a Mission this year.  It ran perfect for 800 miles in the UP.  I always plugged in (I'm also running  a BiteHarder LED strip on the back for better vis for those behind me)and was never cold even at -10F with 25 MPH wind.  IMHO it's the best helmet I had in 25 years of sledding.

On 2/8/2023 at 5:11 PM, EastMark said:

Chris

You inspired us with the helmet tunes on our ride.

Lisa added them for a Rangeley ride last month and I added them this week for 3 days here in Portage. 

We like it ! Bought some cheap BT ones. $30-40. Work great. First sign of trouble we will upgrade to something better. Don’t want communicators. Just good BT tunes !  Thinking of these if anyone has experience with them. 

https://www.syphonsound.com

Mark

I'm using the Syphon speakers this year.  I've tried them all over the years and these are the best yet.  I think the sound quality is a little bit better on the Cardo system (JBL speakers) but the ease of use of the Syphon is excellent.  Super easy to use with gloves and the Bluetooth works perfect.  If I had a complaint I'd say the speakers are a little too thick but not too bad.  Battery life is good too.  I don't want communicators either.  They are ok for standing around the gas station talking but on the trails in Quebec where you tend to spread out they simply don't work unless you're line-of-sight with each other.