Last trip

wng-2

I'm thinking that Skidoo has a bad head gasket and or warped head.  The gasket or head can fail in such a way that it is only pushing compression or combustion gases past it into the cooling system wich results in an overheat condition. 

I wouldn't expect a failure on a 2023 but if it was my sled I would verify it is still pumping water.  After that I would be checked for CO gases in the cooling system. 

This is a link for old school non electronic Gas detection. 

https://www.cosda.com.tw/radiator-co2-detector-kit-with-co2-tester-fluid-sd-1025e.html

The snow flap thing... I doubt it.  It would have cooled off in field with a lot of snow passing through the tunnel. 

a youtuber Samcrac went through this with a BMW I8   the series starts here  

I worked at a high volume Ford dealer in 90's.   I have been down the road of bad head gaskets, and or warped head and hairline cracks.   What is great about this series of video's with this car is that they really do a great job of covering the basics.    

Edited by NHsrx701

7 minutes ago, NHsrx701 said:

I'm thinking that Skidoo has a bad head gasket and or warped head.  The gasket or head can fail in such a way that it is only pushing compression or combustion gases past it into the cooling system wich results in an overheat condition. 

I wouldn't expect a failure on a 2023 but if it was my sled I would verify it is still pumping water.  After that I would be checked for CO gases in the cooling system. 

This is a link for old school non electronic Gas detection. 

https://www.cosda.com.tw/radiator-co2-detector-kit-with-co2-tester-fluid-sd-1025e.html

The snow flap thing... I doubt it.  It would have cooled off in field with a lot of snow passing through the tunnel. 

It's at the dealer now. He will check everything. The field was really just as hard as the trail. We will see.

Four of the six of our regular riding group have had air ride suspension sleds since 2010. What the dealer said is very true.  Drop that air ride to 1 and get that snow flap closer to the ground when conditions are hard will make a big difference.  Add scratchers too, big help with cooling and hyfax lubrication.  One other thing that our group did is replace the stock hyfax with vespel hyfax. End of melting your sliders. They are expensive, but I have moved mine from sled to sled since 2016. 

Quick story - My wife has a 2016 900 Enduro.  In those hard conditions she would overheat all the time with the air ride on one. Let it cool for 10 minutes, ride another few miles.  Repeat.  My wife weighs about 115 lbs.  I would change sleds with her, no more problems with the Enduro, but she would overheat my sled. I only weigh 165 lbs, but that little bit of weight made a difference in the snow flap height.  I ended up replacing the torsion springs in her sled with a lighter set. End of problem.

Edited by GSX800

27 minutes ago, GSX800 said:

Four of the six of our regular riding group have had air ride suspension sleds since 2010. What the dealer said is very true.  Drop that air ride to 1 and get that snow flap closer to the ground when conditions are hard will make a big difference.  Add scratchers too, big help with cooling and hyfax lubrication.  One other thing that our group did is replace the stock hyfax with vespel hyfax. End of melting your sliders. They are expensive, but I have moved mine from sled to sled since 2016. 

Quick story - My wife has a 2016 900 Enduro.  In those hard conditions she would overheat all the time with the air ride on one. Let it cool for 10 minutes, ride another few miles.  Repeat.  My wife weighs about 115 lbs.  I would change sleds with her, no more problems with the Enduro, but she would overheat my sled. I only weigh 165 lbs, but that little bit of weight made a difference in the snow flap height.  I ended up replacing the torsion springs in her sled with a lighter set. End of problem.

Great info. Thanks very much.