Final Trip

Signfan

Well it sucks that my season is over.  But can't complain.  Little over 3000 km which is average for me.  This last trip was just shy of 1300 km.  Disappointed that 373 was closed on us the day before leaving which changed our plans significantly.  Portions of TQ83 and TQ93 more than made up for it though.  

Couple highlights / things I learned

- investing in some ski wheels is a good idea.  Maybe next year

- not many places to eat or sleep open in Tadoussac in the winter.  Rode into town at 7 pm with no plans.  We ended up staying at the youth hostile.  Laughable now, but it was the best option.  $30 a head.  Beer at the bar was only $3 a piece and this was the only way to get fed (restaurantsall closed and no where to cook anything at the motel).  Bought frozen pizzas from the convenience store ($33 total for 3 of us) and cooked them ourselves. The hostile gave us full access to the kitchen.  No showers.  Great people there.  Just had to do our own dishes and put our sheets down the laundry chute when we left.  Our group was a 25 year old, 39 year old and a 58 year old.  They didn't seem to mind.  I'd seriously consider staying there again.  

- mid week riding is the key to good trails around Quebec City.  Had a bad experience in the past.  They were perfect this time through

- I can't decide which is my favorite.  TQ 23, 83 or 93.  All are gorgeous super highways.  Probably 83 if I had to pick 

- if attempting a ride late season in the future I'm going to pull out a topo map to help plan it.  Staying on high ground made a huge difference.

- neat history on Mont Apica.  Part of the pine tree line.  Enjoyed reading the history board posted there.

- I have to go back to Saguenay to ride trail 373 next winter.  Darn that's gonna be tough.

- not sure what causes this but our group was 25, 39 and 58 years old.  25 year old riding a 2018, 39 year old riding a 2016 and the 58 year old riding a 2007.  Not sure if that makes perfect sense or if it's ass backwards.  Lol

Time to get back to work building our new house.  Will hopefully help to fend of the SSAD (snowmobile separation anxiety disorder) by staying busy.  To those that are still riding I'm jealous.  Can't wait for next season.

9 minutes ago, Signfan said:

What part of 373 was closed, looked today and its all marked open? Hoping to head up next week for a season ender.

6 minutes ago, Signfan said:

The clubs are trying to avoid birdge deck damage from studs and carbides.  Decks are bare.  So they closed the trail.

I see it on Marks post, I just dont no why it shows open as of 2:00 this afternoon on my phone and home computer?

1 hour ago, 800steve said:

What part of 373 was closed, looked today and its all marked open? Hoping to head up next week for a season ender.

Also just a heads up 

Bras Louis will be plowed open monday the 27 march

work for hydro Quebec on new power lines there

no access to 373 from bras louis and 373 from bras louis to onitchaway will be closed

11 hours ago, 800steve said:

I see it on Marks post, I just dont no why it shows open as of 2:00 this afternoon on my phone and home computer?

Do you have the trail conditions turned on?  It doesn't show in the trail or grooming views like some of the closed trail do.

1 hour ago, Signfan said:

Do you have the trail conditions turned on?  It doesn't show in the trail or grooming views like some of the closed trail do.

Thats it, always seemed to show thru the winter. May still head up for 3 days next week, but have to watch where we are going. Thanks Steve

Just avoid the low ground.  Pick one side of the river or the other to ride.  When I say bad around the towns I mean 300' strips or more of bare ground.  South facing hills near the tunnel that had no snow left on them.  The bridge over the river was bare as well.  Knowing what I know now a two day loop would have avoided it all.  Could have ridden TQ23 from St Ray, down to TQ3.  Took it right through to 83, then took 83 north and stayed at hotel motel valin (on the outskirts of Chicoutimi).  Then 369 back to TQ23 and back to St Ray.  We wouldn't have had any bad running.  Worst would have been near Claremont which was still decent.  Our mistake was trying to cross the Saguenay river and dropping down to Baie St Paul.