On to summer activities planning

Planning a bike trip from Bar Harbor to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.Looking for a safe place to leave my truck and trailer around Bar Harbor.End of June.Thanks in advance.

How long are you anticipating this trip will take once you leave Bar Harbor? I would love to do that trip but figure I would need 2 to 3 weeks which I cannot currently take that much time off. Thank you and I cannot wait to hear about the trip. Sorry I am zero help on where to leave your vehicle.

2 hours ago, William Gaf Gaffney said:

Planning a bike trip from Bar Harbor to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.Looking for a safe place to leave my truck and trailer around Bar Harbor.End of June.Thanks in advance.

You planning on doing the Cabot Trail?

lf taking the ferry from Port Sydney to Port a Basque NFLD the night crossing and renting a cabin is the best use of time.

Wife and l both ride Spyders and have been to the Maritimes 3 times since getting them. Went to Newfoundland once in 2020. 

15 hours ago, Pipeman said:

How long are you anticipating this trip will take once you leave Bar Harbor? I would love to do that trip but figure I would need 2 to 3 weeks which I cannot currently take that much time off. Thank you and I cannot wait to hear about the trip. Sorry I am zero help on where to leave your vehicle.

Thinking between 10-14 days from the time we leave Bar Harbor and end back at BH

12 hours ago, Fuse6 said:

You planning on doing the Cabot Trail?

lf taking the ferry from Port Sydney to Port a Basque NFLD the night crossing and renting a cabin is the best use of time.

Wife and l both ride Spyders and have been to the Maritimes 3 times since getting them. Went to Newfoundland once in 2020. 

Did Cabot trail 10 or 15 yrs.ago.Planning to rent cabin on long ferry ride

As far as parking around Bar Harbor:  Bar Harbor is so crowded with tourists and parking is a premium just to shop or eat. I would  check Ellsworth, a small city before Bar Harbor.  Maybe contact a towing company that has an impound lot is the best I can think of.  

mike

We have not done New Foundland  (yet, ha ha) yet but we have done Nova Scotia & PEI.

Leaving from the NYC area we have done Nova Scotia & PEI two times on the HD. We had no regrets trailering to Moncton, NB where the local Days Inn & Suites by Wyndham Moncton (No frills - ) WARMLY welcomed us to park our truck & trailer in their large parking lot for our weeks adventure on the bike. The hotel, easily accesible from Rt 2 allowed us easy access to both PEI or N.S. 

Here is a great link for resources while in Nova Scotia. https://www.cabottrailbiker.com/.  By chance, we met Daniel, the proprietor on our trip during a lunch stop and found him to be informative & friendly.

Aside from the Cabot Trail consider spending an evening at Peggy's Cove outside of Halifax. You wont regret it. 

Enjoy your ride. 

Paddy O 

Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 10.57.57 AM.png

5E3557A7-144B-4B16-B056-62E3447CC087_1_105_c.jpeg

Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 11.04.35 AM.png

5 hours ago, nyskidooerinnewhampshire said:

We have not done New Foundland  (yet, ha ha) yet but we have done Nova Scotia & PEI.

Leaving from the NYC area we have done Nova Scotia & PEI two times on the HD. We had no regrets trailering to Moncton, NB where the local Days Inn & Suites by Wyndham Moncton (No frills - ) WARMLY welcomed us to park our truck & trailer in their large parking lot for our weeks adventure on the bike. The hotel, easily accesible from Rt 2 allowed us easy access to both PEI or N.S. 

Here is a great link for resources while in Nova Scotia. https://www.cabottrailbiker.com/.  By chance, we met Daniel, the proprietor on our trip during a lunch stop and found him to be informative & friendly.

Aside from the Cabot Trail consider spending an evening at Peggy's Cove outside of Halifax. You wont regret it. 

Enjoy your ride. 

Paddy O 

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_03/444960085_ScreenShot2023-03-12at10_57_57AM.thumb.png.857a037ed63f4c51a2e229efaa83fd3c.png

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_03/5E3557A7-144B-4B16-B056-62E3447CC087_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.ed605f014c6d24dcb110f3c8c86faa5f.jpeg

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_03/529989149_ScreenShot2023-03-12at11_04_35AM.thumb.png.d7acfd7dc5d3894e6420ea808cb91f15.png

Thx just gave me a couple more options to consider.

22 hours ago, smclelan said:

Nope and have driven by the exit many many times.  I guess when you grow up in a province full of lighthouses, it is just another one.

I'll check it out and let you know.

Steven, you are very fortunate to be surrounded with views of this nature, such as these taken @ Peggys Cove. Cherish it.

William, having looked at the dozens of photos this evening of our previous trips to N.S. & PEI I envy you. 

Best to all, 

Paddy O  

C26FA383-1A22-4150-966A-EB2BCF7DBC7F_1_105_c.jpeg

6671D7E8-7304-4042-9495-21E0D03B50E3_1_105_c.jpeg

D77B37EB-E5E6-4A4C-AB94-D8B5A11E6163_1_105_c.jpeg

8E6420AC-546A-40E8-B67E-7B945AB89E34_1_105_c.jpeg

BF915F9B-7862-4ACA-910E-FF93654258DF_1_105_c.jpeg

254F6ABC-B955-42B0-973D-8C18225C4EAF_1_105_c.jpeg

977AE46D-F923-44EA-97F0-FDCA2FB1AA7E_1_105_c.jpeg

On 3/10/2023 at 8:31 PM, William Gaf Gaffney said:

Are you taking the CAT from Bar Harbor? I realize time is always a factor, but Personally, I would skip the 600 mile trailer drive to Bar Harbor. Trailers are for snowmobiles and boats..😀😎I would ride from N.Y and enjoy the ride through Northern Vermont, NH, and Maine and on into New Brunswick, all the Way to North Sydney, Nova Scotia where you get the ferry. Newfoundland ( The Rock) is absolutely beautiful. I have been several times, and plan to go again. The Newfies are a great friendly group of folks. I am personally fascinated by the Icebergs. They start floating down from the glaciers in Greenland in April (Titanic). However it is still snowmobile season in April. You will likely see more bergs in early June, vs. late June.  But bring good rain gear and heated gear. You can encounter cold and wet weather any time of year there. My wife will never go again on Motorcycle. There is an app to track the bergs. Also speak to as many locals as you can. There are a lot of interesting characters, and most are very friendly.I spoke to one fellow that told me the previous year a berg floated into the cove near his home. He tied an anchor line to it, and enjoyed Ten Thousand year old ice in his drinks all summer. Below are some pictures from my solo 2019 Motorcycle Trip. Enjoy your trip! I hope you will post some details and pictures.

2019 Newfoundland Motorcycle Trip

Edited by wng-2

I did the 11 day trip in 2016 on my bike and left the day before labor day...the weather gods were shining on us and we rode the entire 11 days in T-shirts, and sunshine ...it started raining an hour after we got home...luckiest bike trip of my life.

25 minutes ago, quebec bob said:

I did the 11 day trip in 2016 on my bike and left the day before labor day...the weather gods were shining on us and we rode the entire 11 days in T-shirts, and sunshine ...it started raining an hour after we got home...luckiest bike trip of my life.

Wow! T-shirt in Newfoundland!? 😮

On 3/14/2023 at 6:33 AM, wng-2 said:

Are you taking the CAT from Bar Harbor? I realize time is always a factor, but Personally, I would skip the 600 mile trailer drive to Bar Harbor. Trailers are for snowmobiles and boats..😀😎I would ride from N.Y and enjoy the ride through Northern Vermont, NH, and Maine and on into New Brunswick, all the Way to North Sydney, Nova Scotia where you get the ferry. Newfoundland ( The Rock) is absolutely beautiful. I have been several times, and plan to go again. The Newfies are a great friendly group of folks. I am personally fascinated by the Icebergs. They start floating down from the glaciers in Greenland in April (Titanic). However it is still snowmobile season in April. You will likely see more bergs in early June, vs. late June.  But bring good rain gear and heated gear. You can encounter cold and wet weather any time of year there. My wife will never go again on Motorcycle. There is an app to track the bergs. Also speak to as many locals as you can. There are a lot of interesting characters, and most are very friendly.I spoke to one fellow that told me the previous year a berg floated into the cove near his home. He tied an anchor line to it, and enjoyed Ten Thousand year old ice in his drinks all summer. Below are some pictures from my solo 2019 Motorcycle Trip. Enjoy your trip! I hope you will post some details and pictures.

2019 Newfoundland Motorcycle Trip

Have ridden all through Vermont ,NH and some of Maine on my Electra Glide and my WR 250R .New England is such a beautiful place.Took the Cat to NS about 15 yrs ago and it worked out well.Having enough trouble convincing my wife to do 10 days on the bike.Appreciate all the input.Thinking truck and trailer to Bangor/Bar Harbor will help break it up a bit.Still looking for someplace to leave truck and trailer. 

7 hours ago, William Gaf Gaffney said:

Have ridden all through Vermont ,NH and some of Maine on my Electra Glide and my WR 250R .New England is such a beautiful place.Took the Cat to NS about 15 yrs ago and it worked out well.Having enough trouble convincing my wife to do 10 days on the bike.Appreciate all the input.Thinking truck and trailer to Bangor/Bar Harbor will help break it up a bit.Still looking for someplace to leave truck and trailer. 

Enjoy! I hope you post about the trip. Sorry I can't help regarding parking.

14 hours ago, wng-2 said:

Enjoy! I hope you post about the trip. Sorry I can't help regarding parking.

Hooked up w/a supply house that serves the NE that I have a account w/.They say I can leave truck and trailer there.It usually all works out 1 way or another.Gaf

1 hour ago, William Gaf Gaffney said:

Hooked up w/a supply house that serves the NE that I have a account w/.They say I can leave truck and trailer there.It usually all works out 1 way or another.Gaf

Now that’s the way to use your business connections !  Great move  👍