Springing Ahead…… Peninsula Play

iceman

12 minutes ago, slowpoke said:

Hi Iceman, How is the south shore holding up? Thanks

Chandler to New Richmond was great

from New Ricmond to Carelton last Sunday melting down bad.

we saw all we needed by Carelton to convince us we were going no further that way, 

Surely can get through

we were looking for quality. 
north shore and interiors

16 March Thursday 

Had a fine stay at Motel Fraser. Another home run. Great breakfast and dinner was awesome last night. 

First thing this morning we had a meeting of the minds to look at this grooming report. We had decided that we needed to see a fair amount of Purple headed west on TQ5 from here in Chandler to make that route the winner. We got it. West it shall be. All in favor say I. The I’s have it 3-0. 

Feeder trail out of Fraser not groomed. But ok. Hard to say but about 3-5” new snow here. The amounts varied greatly according to what altitude In general less new snow fell the further west you moved on south shore. By the time into New Richmond they had almost no new snow there. 

TQ5 fresh groom. No tracks going east. White ribbon. We are going west. Counting 4 tracks here, left from Fraser ahead of us while we ate breakfast. We idle up and roll west. Trail holding up nice considering temperature is not real cold the heavy wet snow has packed down nicely. This machine operator is an artist and been doing this a while for sure. Ripping trail. We arrive at a bridge not far from Chandler and the 4 sleds are stopped taking pictures. Say “cheese” we roll on by. Its our white ribbon now. The white asphalt is a great payoff. This is great. We are rolling. No looking back. 

At Paspebiac we loose the ribbon. We are all solidly confused as it showed full purple 2/3 or more to New Richmond this morning. WTF? Its beat up here. We are spoiled I am the first to admit it. I know you need ride some bad to find good trails sometimes but screw that I got no time for bumpy shit. 

As usual it’s me doing the complaining  sucks and if this is it we go 60 miles still to go of it. We are discussing turning around and decide to go up further to find a spot to turn back and there it is white ribbon untouched again coming up from my left trail goes right and its groomed untouched white ribbon. It’s back, We figured it out. The groomer made a left into town where I lost the ribbon he groomed through town exiting other side where we found the ribbon. I almost gave up on it. 

Ran me out of gas again as I didn’t stop as advised by NHmoose. I blew past his suggested stop the ribbon was too nice to leave it. 97 miles out. This time i got my spare full and make it to New Richmond.

Sweet run to New Richmond got gas before the 595. The up 595 to our honey hole here the 150 local. Beautiful did i say it was beautiful? Freshly groomed trail. Nice alternative to 595 through pin rouge. Won’t be surprised if this is 595 next year. Or soon after. Remember you heard it here first.

We cross paths again with Fred’s gang on the 150, I told them to try this trail they would not regret it and we meet them on it. Timing is everything. We say a quick hello then its off to join 595. We fly low into La Cache 595 is a go. Go fast. 

Left Chandler 9:30 at La Cache 2:03 pumping gas. Inside we visit with Little Feather and James. Percy had his tonsils out and is recovering well. Had lunch and talked about the future. 

Saying work WILL be completed by next winter season. Building to be added onto. Addition will result in 80 seat restaurant with BAR and new kitchen facilities, i said i hear this for at least two years now but they swear construction will be done. 

2:40 we say goodbye for now. We go to come back. We take off across the sentier chic choc. She is beat up and we pay the price for our fabulous day so far. This operator just doesn’t get how it’s done. 

We skio Murdochville gas and run 597 which is in good shape to TQ5. The TQ5 is great also. Gas in Mont Louis and a last night with Julie and Patrick here at Le delice in MSP. 

Had awesome meal starting with surprise appetizer of fried Poutine (fritter with cheese,bacon french fries) damn good. For us to share made specifically for us by Patrick. Had the smoked duck last time, (i know you remember that playhard)

Some smoked wings

Then House Ribs another item not on menu made for us. 

Finish with homemade brownies with vanilla ice cream with cocoa powder sprinkled on it. Yes please. 

Edited by iceman

1 hour ago, wng-2 said:

Excellent report. Thanks. I was in Matane Friday night the 11th. Had a great 200 mile day to Fort Kent, Maine on Saturday despite warm conditions. Back to the truck for you today?

Yes wng, today riding back to Matane to the trucks.

9 hours ago, smclelan said:

Have you guys stopped at St Paulin Relais to find out the story there?  Is it under new management?

They are open, we stopped there the day they were opening, everyone was very excited and they said hopefully it would be open for ever, great opportunity for them it's a very popular spot.

On 3/16/2023 at 10:54 PM, iceman said:

16 March Thursday 

Had a fine stay at Motel Fraser. Another home run. Great breakfast and dinner was awesome last night. 

First thing this morning we had a meeting of the minds to look at this grooming report. We had decided that we needed to see a fair amount of Purple headed west on TQ5 from here in Chandler to make that route the winner. We got it. West it shall be. All in favor say I. The I’s have it 3-0. 

Feeder trail out of Fraser not groomed. But ok. Hard to say but about 3-5” new snow here. The amounts varied greatly according to what altitude In general less new snow fell the further west you moved on south shore. By the time into New Richmond they had almost no new snow there. 

TQ5 fresh groom. No tracks going east. White ribbon. We are going west. Counting 4 tracks here, left from Fraser ahead of us while we ate breakfast. We idle up and roll west. Trail holding up nice considering temperature is not real cold the heavy wet snow has packed down nicely. This machine operator is an artist and been doing this a while for sure. Ripping trail. We arrive at a bridge not far from Chandler and the 4 sleds are stopped taking pictures. Say “cheese” we roll on by. Its our white ribbon now. The white asphalt is a great payoff. This is great. We are rolling. No looking back. 

At Paspebiac we loose the ribbon. We are all solidly confused as it showed full purple 2/3 or more to New Richmond this morning. WTF? Its beat up here. We are spoiled I am the first to admit it. I know you need ride some bad to find good trails sometimes but screw that I got no time for bumpy shit. 

As usual it’s me doing the complaining  sucks and if this is it we go 60 miles still to go of it. We are discussing turning around and decide to go up further to find a spot to turn back and there it is white ribbon untouched again coming up from my left trail goes right and its groomed untouched white ribbon. It’s back, We figured it out. The groomer made a left into town where I lost the ribbon he groomed through town exiting other side where we found the ribbon. I almost gave up on it. 

Ran me out of gas again as I didn’t stop as advised by NHmoose. I blew past his suggested stop the ribbon was too nice to leave it. 97 miles out. This time i got my spare full and make it to New Richmond.

Sweet run to New Richmond got gas before the 595. The up 595 to our honey hole here the 150 local. Beautiful did i say it was beautiful? Freshly groomed trail. Nice alternative to 595 through pin rouge. Won’t be surprised if this is 595 next year. Or soon after. Remember you heard it here first.

We cross paths again with Fred’s gang on the 150, I told them to try this trail they would not regret it and we meet them on it. Timing is everything. We say a quick hello then its off to join 595. We fly low into La Cache 595 is a go. Go fast. 

Left Chandler 9:30 at La Cache 2:03 pumping gas. Inside we visit with Little Feather and James. Percy had his tonsils out and is recovering well. Had lunch and talked about the future. 

Saying work WILL be completed by next winter season. Building to be added onto. Addition will result in 80 seat restaurant with BAR and new kitchen facilities, i said i hear this for at least two years now but they swear construction will be done. 

2:40 we say goodbye for now. We go to come back. We take off across the sentier chic choc. She is beat up and we pay the price for our fabulous day so far. This operator just doesn’t get how it’s done. 

We skio Murdochville gas and run 597 which is in good shape to TQ5. The TQ5 is great also. Gas in Mont Louis and a last night with Julie and Patrick here at Le delice in MSP. 

Had awesome meal starting with surprise appetizer of fried Poutine (fritter with cheese,bacon french fries) damn good. For us to share made specifically for us by Patrick. Had the smoked duck last time, (i know you remember that playhard)

Some smoked wings

Then House Ribs another item not on menu made for us. 

Finish with homemade brownies with vanilla ice cream with cocoa powder sprinkled on it. Yes please. 

Hey Don, cut back on those wings a little and maybe you wont run out of gas so often?🍗😉

23 hours ago, quebec bob said:

They are open, we stopped there the day they were opening, everyone was very excited and they said hopefully it would be open for ever, great opportunity for them it's a very popular spot.

This is near the junction of the 595 and TQ 5? It was very busy this past Friday 10 March.

1 hour ago, 800steve said:

Hey Don, cut back on those wings a little and maybe you wont run out of gas so often?🍗😉

Hey what are you trying to say? I am convinced its a fat thumb problem not a fat me problem. LOL

14 hours ago, PMAC said:

Nice ride guys ,how’s it looking in and out of the Quality inn in Matane?Looking at heading there from Cross Point this coming Thursday through Saturday.

Of course the parking lot 100 % Black. Muddy gravel getting out to mushy main trail on Saturday the 18 th.

17 March Friday

bittersweet morning

said farewell for now to Julie and Patrick in MSP. Will miss their hospitality. Also being the last day of riding fir this trip it will likely be the last of this season for us. 

Beautiful blue sky as we mount up and head out the valley. Fresh groom headed west like they knew we coming. We made the most of it. Beautiful trail with beautiful views to wrap this season up for us. All good to Relais St Paulin Closer we came to St Adelme then to Matane trail got real maah potato like. Totally different then further east. Into Matane i have seen much worse but won’t be long its going fast there.

Great ride with great partners. We improvised when needed and put it all together.

Not the best trails i have seen in Gaspe but very nice. Seems like everyone was riding Gaspe this year. 

We want to dedicate this seasons miles to Playhard. Our missing man this season. Did not get his bodywork finished up in time to thow a leg over, we will make up for it next season mon. ami. 

You were missed.

1 hour ago, iceman said:

17 March Friday

bittersweet morning

said farewell for now to Julie and Patrick in MSP. Will miss their hospitality. Also being the last day of riding fir this trip it will likely be the last of this season for us. 

Beautiful blue sky as we mount up and head out the valley. Fresh groom headed west like they knew we coming. We made the most of it. Beautiful trail with beautiful views to wrap this season up for us. All good to Relais St Paulin Closer we came to St Adelme then to Matane trail got real maah potato like. Totally different then further east. Into Matane i have seen much worse but won’t be long its going fast there.

Great ride with great partners. We improvised when needed and put it all together.

Not the best trails i have seen in Gaspe but very nice. Seems like everyone was riding Gaspe this year. 

We want to dedicate this seasons miles to Playhard. Our missing man this season. Did not get his bodywork finished up in time to thow a leg over, we will make up for it next season mon. ami. 

You were missed.

Was wondering where your missing link was all season! Heading to Aruba next week, thought maybe we would find him hanging down there??

26 minutes ago, neksledr said:

Was wondering where your missing link was all season! Heading to Aruba next week, thought maybe we would find him hanging down there??

I do not think he is on Island. I am sure he will comment here. Think he is in NY HQ