Forest Fires raging in Québec

Mid Range

LA TUQUE, Que. Quebec is receiving help from several provinces and U.S. states in a battle against scores of forest fires that have forced 1,300 people from their homes.

Maine, Manitoba, Massachussets and New Brunswick are sending firefighters and equipment to tackle almost 60 blazes across more than 38,000 hectares of forest.

Fourteen of those fires are raging out of control.

Crews and water-bombers are being sent in under a compact that covers the seven New England states and four Canadian provinces.

Most of the fires have been caused by lightning from thunderstorms that accompanied record-breaking heat and windy conditions.

A native reserve north of Quebec City, Wemotaci, has been evacuated.

The Red Cross is helping the Quebec government handle the operation, and is relocating people by bus to the municipality of La Tuque. Shelter is being provided at a local school.

Separate fires in the western Quebec region of Abitibi-Temiscamingue are also burning out of control, but they haven't yet caused anyone to leave their home.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20100528/que-forest-fires-100528/

.....hopefully links will work

Edited by Mid Range

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wemotaci and Manawan Native reserve have been evacuated as well as Obedjiwan and Parent(partially).Remember how dry last winter was plus a dry spring.There we are.We saw quite a show last weekend at the camground.2 water bombers were called on a fire and they were loading up upon the lake in front of the campgroung.I can't beleive how strong these aircraft are.

cl-415.jpg

The smoke from the Quebec forest fires made its way down to the Maine coast about 1:00 AM this morning. It is very thick, almost like a fog.

Mike

We can smell it too in my neck of the woods......The owner of Relay 22 spoke last night on the news.He was crying and he is quite worry.Sprinklers were sets on top of the roofs.Let's cross our fingers.Fires are very close to his place.

What a shame. JMO, but it seems like these fires are getting worse everytime. Our thoughts go out to all the reservations and relays that are going to be affected this time around. I would imagine there will be quite a few re-routes in the trail system next year. Prey for rain.

while working today ,i was thinking about that .can t remember the year ,must be in the mid 80 's.i was at the lake not too far from my camp.friends told me there was a fire about 6 miles north-east of my camp and planes were coming to load on the lake .so ,in a hurry went up on a mountain between lake 8-miles and lake causapscal to see the planes .planes went to lake causapscal first ,then moved to lake 8-miles.

on top of the mountain ,i was too far from the action to take pics.went back to lake 8 miles to take closer shots .so, i went to a cabin of a friend ,take a few pics there and then decided to go to another cabin on the other of the lake to have different angles.once at the other cabin ,i was looking at the lake for the planes to come back.

grey sky,no winds ,no waves on the lake and light rain started ,very quiet.then ,suddently without warning ,BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooMmMmMmMmMmM,HA !! HA !!lightning struck a cedar tree about 10-12' from my truck.i turned my head on the right side in a fraction of a second and a saw a huge ball of fire at the level of the roof of the cabin. i thought the cabin was on fire .i did nt check the cedar tree ,but learned later that the tree splitted in 2 .

old 35 mm pics.

groomer !!!

Hear's hoping for steady rain for you soon. As well as the people it will affect, can't help thinking about all the wild life, (especially all the new born's)that are trapped in the area - God help them.

Gary

Wemotaci residents being allowed to return home. No word on Relais 22 will try to find out. there are still more then 20 fires burning in Quebec only 1 is listed as out of control. rain helped for now and number is way down from the 60 last week that were burning

unsure if the trails have been affected yet (bridges burned etc.....) we shall see

not sure if the people from manawan have been allowed to return yet.

according to some posters on the french forum ,fire was 5 miles from relais 22 .winds changed directions and it looks like they are ok (for now ) at relais 22.it has been posted during the week end .

groomer!!!

according to some posters on the french forum ,fire was 5 miles from relais 22 .winds changed directions and it looks like they are ok (for now ) at relais 22.it has been posted during the week end .

groomer!!!

Hope everyone is OK. Let me know of any updates.

Hope everyone is OK. Let me know of any updates.

hi kel !!

before going to the camp !!just checked the thread on the french forum and a few times this week .not much news.

according to one poster ,many camps burned and the owners of those camps were ''customers '' at relais 22 .

when the owner has been interviewed on tv about 2 weeks + ago ,he said that he was afraid for his friends owning camps near relais 22.looks like the ''economy '' for the owner of relais 22 will be rough for a while .

heard on the radio this morning ,most of the north shore still very dry (extreme) and it s still prohibited to do fires .not much rain in that area since a while.

groomer !!

just saw on the news .about 10+ camps burned on onatchiway z e c .still very dry there.

groomer !!!

onatchiway snowmobile club got hurt pretty bad as 400 sleds went up in smoke along with one groomer.Sleds were summerized within cabins side by side.Every thing burned.Owners of these sleds were member of onatchiway private snowmobile club.

onatchiway snowmobile club got hurt pretty bad as 400 sleds went up in smoke along with one groomer.Sleds were summerized within cabins side by side.Every thing burned.Owners of these sleds were member of onatchiway private snowmobile club.

just saw that a few minutes ago on the news!!!

groomer !!!