planning a trip

CATNUT24

welcome to quebec rider

if this is your 1st trip around the gaspe get ready to say wow a lot

from rdl jump on 5 east will be open felds and power lines fast ride to rimouski from there take 548 back to 5 just a short cut you could stay on 5 from there but i would take 579 as long as weather is good to 587 to 591 to amqui that should be about 200 + miles there 2 motels therethe pasiali or ambassadeur

day 2 take 5 west its realy north to 591 will be wind mills at the ens of the trail then back on 5 est you should make it to mount saint pierre get your cammra ready thers 2 motels there also

if weather is good take 597 to local trailto lacache then 597 to new richmond that will be a day lots of mt ridding and pic taken st francis is a nice place to stay from there stay on 5 back to rdl be sure to stop by to say tu to groomer in albertville it will be a long ride to rdl but if not use a sick day lol

hope this helps some

hi catnut24 !!

here s a few pics from trail 595 taken roughly 20/25 miles north of la cache.like coldsmoke said ,bring your camera .if it' s your first time in the gaspesie ,there ll be for sure a lots of ''woooow '' and ''haaaaaaaaa '' :yahoo:

groomer !!!

Welcome to QR Catnut24,

What Coldsmoke said is all good. You won't be disappointed with Gaspe. If you want to go all the way out to the eastern point where Perce rock is, you will have to run trail 5 to make the full loop. Sometimes the south side of Gaspe (Chandler, New Richmond, Carlton) gets thin on snow. Have an alternate plan for a back up.

There are plenty of good hotels and good food because it is a tourist destination all year long. Get a current trail map and check out the different hotel websites.

You can probably do it in four days depending on conditions and how you ride but don't short change yourself and miss out on the experience. If you can add a fifth day, you might be able to kick back and enjoy it more.

Happy trails to you.

Jack & Sandi :D:

hi catnut24 !!

here s a few pics from trail 595 taken roughly 20/25 miles north of la cache.like coldsmoke said ,bring your camera .if it' s your first time in the gaspesie ,there ll be for sure a lots of ''woooow '' and ''haaaaaaaaa '' :yahoo:

groomer !!!

CATNUT24,

Don't be fooled by groomers pictures......yes they are good but to see it in person is AWESOME!!!. My Dad (@ 79 y/o)and I rode up there last year and I kick myself for not using a couple sick days. The people were friendly and helpful every were we went.

My advise....Plan your trip with some extra time, then call in sick for two more days of riding. :drinks:

Really you will love it,

Bob

Edited by rfm

• 1 month later...

I start with a trail map of the area I'm going to ride in. The businesses that advertise on the map support snowmobiling and I try to support them. The businesses normally post their website so you can get more info or even make reservations over the web.

Gaspe has plenty of places to stay and everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I like to make a reservation for my first and last night ahead of time so I know my truck and trailer are in a safe location and I can get back to them for the last night. The rest of my trip I usually call a day or two ahead to make a reservation. A lot of riders just wing it and stop at the end of the day at the closest hotel and hope there is room.

Happy riding!

Jack

I am also thinking of doing a trip to the gaspe this year. Are there plenty of options of towns with places to stay or should I start planning places to stay ahead of time?

Lots of places to stay, better to take it one day at a time, I did it with wife and kid and we did it in 5 1/2 days.

Sometimes it looks like a long way to next destination and then you get there early, like when we headed to Perce and planned on staying there, but we got there at 1 (perfect conditions) so we had lunch and went on to Chandler. Then it can go the other way...you plan a destination and the weather turns or snows hard and you loose time and don't get there and loose reservation cause you have to stop before due to conditions.

If you cut through the 2 inner trails then it is more remote, but if you go around the shore there is lodging.

• 1 month later...

How many miles around the complete loop from RDL?

Is there any recommendation for secure parking in RDL?

I have the complete Quebec map.......How do we request the region specific map for Gaspesie? We have been everywhere else in Quebec and are really on the fence about heading to RDL for our trip on Feb 2nd.

What would be the next best starting point south-southwest of RDL to still be able to make the loop in 5-6 days 250+ a day.

Its on the bucket list and I hope this is the year!

Tx, BJ

I have the complete Quebec map.......How do we request the region specific map for Gaspesie? Tx, BJ

You can go thru the FCMQ website and follow the links under Snowmobiling in the regions.There is a link for every region that will lead you to their own tourist association.Very easy to order regional maps throughout the whole Province.