Think trail safety

Greg du Vermont

Every year I post the basic little tip list that has kept our riding group safe and of like mind for over 25 years. Many others have liked it, some have adopted some of it into their habits, some disagree with parts of it, hopefully it stimulates all of us into thinking a little more about safety and that is a good thing. With limited snow in many regions and a greater concentration of eager sledders in certain areas it is more important than ever. Ride right, ride safe.

Riding tips CONDENSED.doc

Especially the guy showing you his fist as he is last and there is a guy right behind this one. Hand signals are useless information. It shouldn't matter if there are 2 sleds or 200 just ride on the right and we all live thank you. Too many people have trouble just staying on their own side, asking them to use hand signals now thats scary shit. They can not drive with 2 hands let alone one. Good Stuff.

Edited by iceman

CONDENSED SAFETY TIPS

1. HAND SIGNALS

• Extreme or surprise turns

• Slowing or stopping (obvious hand straight up, very important, people behind are usually in dust)

• Groomer in the area (straight up, circling around like beacon)

• Wildlife (bounding motion or antler sign)

• Significant hand signals only, no senseless count downs, both hands on the bars, in control, on the right

2. SLOWING OR STOPPING

• Obvious hand signal ALWAYS

• Pull to extreme right

• No double wide stopping, ever

• Highly visible areas only, think about where you stop and how safely you can be seen from both directions.

3. STAY TO RIGHT

• Oncoming traffic comes surprisingly fast

• A safety margin of maneuverability is a good idea if oncoming sled is in your lane

• If you intentionally crossover the center, have good sight lines and get back quickly

• If you accidentally crossover get back quickly, it’s good to practice

4. MISHAP TIPS

• Keep your hands off the brake, you ain’t gonna stop. Use the throttle and drive it.

• If you go off the trail, look between the trees “not at them”, you generally go where you look.

• If you blow a corner, don’t stop or turn immediately, you may end up wearing the next guy

• If you have an incident in the trail, get out of the way, others are coming

• If you get stuck, don’t have a heart attack getting out, take your time, prepare exit path, wait.

• People doing stupid stuff, groomers and wildlife, happen, be prepared

• If you avoid an obstacle/accident, get out of the way immediately, next guy also needs a place to go.

5. INTERSECTIONS

• Slow up, if no one is waiting to direct you, always assume the biggest most traveled choice

• If there was a guy there for you, make sure the guy after you gets the message as well

• It is not necessary to stop, just makes sure the next guy sees which way you are going

• Lost or confused, just sit there and wait, we have only lost one guy in 20 years, he didn’t wait

6. PASSING SLOWER TRAFFIC

• Let them know you are there by revving engine or putting your light in their mirror

• Use patience and good judgment

• Make pass quickly and where you choose, no blind corners, no hill crests, no gambling

• Get back on your side ASAP, like your life depends on it!

• Some people get aggressive, race you in the straights, won’t stay on the right side, are oblivious, willing to put you in the bush or all of the above, be patient and prudent.

7. BEING PASSED

• If the guy is there, be real, keep an even speed, give him space, let him in, there is no rescue crew waiting in turn one.

• Some people get aggressive, race you in the straights, won’t stay on the right side, are oblivious to their surroundings, are willing to put you in the bush or all of the above.

8. DISTANCE

• Reaction time, visibility, the unexpected, you choose how fast and how close

• Every 5-10 miles, try to make visual contact with the next sled. If you do not (probable whiz stop), slow down or pull over, till you see his light coming, blink brake so he sees you and go

• If the delay is longer than, belt change and whiz stop combined, turn around in a very visible area (be careful about turning around outside the trail alone, stuck sucks) and go looking.

• If the problem is major, the system will work and sooner than later, everyone will be back

Every year I post the basic little tip list that has kept our riding group safe and of like mind for over 25 years. Many others have liked it, some have adopted some of it into their habits, some disagree with parts of it, hopefully it stimulates all of us into thinking a little more about safety and that is a good thing. With limited snow in many regions and a greater concentration of eager sledders in certain areas it is more important than ever. Ride right, ride safe.

I always find it great when you meet a sled comming at you and they signal the amount of sleds behind them .

I'm with you. I like it when the riders coming the other way signal how many are coming at you. Too many times

I have had riders signal that there are more riders coming, yet they were separated from the group. Knowing there

were still more coming made me, I ride with more caution. As for taking your hand off the handlebars, I've never had

a problem giving hand signals at 80 mph, even around bends at high speeds. If your sled handles the way it should,

you shouldn't have an issue. I assume it could happen but I've never seen anyone lose control

from giving hand signals. This of course is just my preference. I like to know who's coming.

Personally I couldn't care less how many are coming, as long as they all on their side. I have to believe that even the best of riders on the best handling sleds have a better chance of being in control, on the right side and prepared for an evasive manuver with both hands on the bars. Obviously the extreme of insanity if 5 shaky riders all riding nose to tail, each giving me the usless shaky count down.

Another of our personal riding habits is to NOT wave the next rider through any road crossing. Everyone should make their own decision as to crossing safety and you can't take back a bad signal.

We indicate approaching stops.

Give a firm absolute stop signal when there is traffic present.

Point to approaching traffic which should be noted by the next rider.

Regarless of what your riding habits and protcols are, it is a good idea for all riders in your group to be of common reference. Be safer, recognise and talk about common safety practices in your group.

Edited by Greg du Vermont

• 9 months later...

Time to post his again yet?

Always good to read, just to run thru the foggy brain from time off...Markus and Greg won't brag themselves up, but they both ride thousands of miles every winter and have for many seasons. thanks for sending reminders to all of us.