Gaspe Conditions Feb 20-25

alwaysbeenonadoo

Well we just got back from a trip to the Gaspe. We started in Matane went east around the coast and then back through the interior from New Richmond. We rode 750 miles and found less than 100 of them groomed!We could have stayed in New York and found more groomed miles.On the positive side the group we rode with were great and the scenery was fantastic.This is the first trip to Quebec we probably will never repeat, we trailered 650 miles and could have found better conditions much closer.So Americans SAVE YOUR MONEY and stay home!

Hi Alwaysbeenonadoo,

First - Welcome to QuebecRider.

Second - It sounds like you may not be using this site in the future. It is too bad you had so many miles of ungroomed trails. It happens but it is not typical.

Every trip to Quebec we hit some trails that need a good grooming but more often we are on good to great trails.

Sorry to hear you had a bad first trip. :huh:

Jack & Sandi

Yeah too bad stay in New York they have so many more trails there.

You are nuts.

Go back to tug hill.

The less people here who shouldn't be is a good thing.

Old Forge rules

woooo hooooo

Edited by iceman

Jack and Sandi, Thank you for the welcome! I have been a lurker for a couple years now and enjoy the site very much. We have ridden in Quebec several times before and never had bad trails before, in fact that is why we ride there.The Gaspe was a trip we were really looking forward to, but I have to call em as I see um.I was disappointed and I was hoping to warn anyone else who might be planning on making the trip, that for what ever reason, the grooming there for the last week(Feb 20- 25) was less than up to P.Q. standards!We still plan to ride the Charlevoix region next year.Iceman sorry if I ruffled your feathers but my intent was to use this site to help other people by posting what we found! I enjoy Quebec very much, but I know there are other good places to ride and I don't want anyone to spend money and find bumpy trails- I thought posting realistic information was what this site was about!

Jack and Sandi, Thank you for the welcome! I have been a lurker for a couple years now and enjoy the site very much. We have ridden in Quebec several times before and never had bad trails before, in fact that is why we ride there.The Gaspe was a trip we were really looking forward to, but I have to call em as I see um.I was disappointed and I was hoping to warn anyone else who might be planning on making the trip, that for what ever reason, the grooming there for the last week(Feb 20- 25) was less than up to P.Q. standards!We still plan to ride the Charlevoix region next year.Iceman sorry if I ruffled your feathers but my intent was to use this site to help other people by posting what we found! I enjoy Quebec very much, but I know there are other good places to ride and I don't want anyone to spend money and find bumpy trails- I thought posting realistic information was what this site was about!

That's why I do the gaspe in march, I,ve been there 3 times now, have done it clockwise and counterclockwise, through the interior and have never hit a ripple! February is the most crowded month, will be there this year end of March again.

Too many tour groups in Feb for Gaspe that is the problem

Sorry always doo but sounded like you were whining

Anyone who rides here enough knows this is as good as it gets

You are crazy though if you think NY trails would be better

The worst trails in Quebec put NY to shame any day.

And yes I have seen most of the trails in NY and got no time for that noise.

Large guided groups bad.

Quebec is the top of the food chain for snowmobiling. (touring)

If you are a day rider Vermont or NY is just fine

If you give up coming its you who will miss out on the best trail system in the world.

Sorry if I was harsh with you been a doo, but the NY trail comment made me do it.

NY trails better then Quebec is a pipe dream.

Edited by iceman

Jour 1 =Parti de Rimouski à Ste-Anne des Monts sentiers 8/10

Jour 2 =Parti Ste-Annes des Monts à Rivière aux Renard (l'enfer boss boss et boss et boss sentier -2/10 sur 260 kil. les 25 derniers était 10/10

Jour 3 =Parti de Rivière aux Renard à Chandler sentier 10/10

Jour 4 =Parti de Chandler à Carleton sentier 10/10

Jour 5 =Parti de Carleton à Amqui sentier 11/10

Jour 6 = Parti de Amqui à Pohénégamook sentier 14/10

Jour 7 = Parti de Pohénégamook à Rivière du Loup sentier 14/10

hi !!

well, sorry to hear about that.just read that post on the french forum.group of 6 ,they started their trip on feb 20 th.

ste anne des monts to riviere au renard was bumpy -2/10...last 25 km 10/10 and the rest of the loop was awesome .

sometimes ,it s just a question of ''timing '' with the grooming.no insults for you,but don t expect gaspesians clubs to groom everyday.

even if you did nt come in my area ,just to let you know that i groomed my part of tq 5 3x since last sunday morning.was supposed to go back later tonight,but ill wait to see about the weather,might have 4 to 6 '' of snow tomorrow .

just back from the clubhouse and talked with guys from carleton( south side ) and they said my part of tq 5 was still nice +.

jour/day....btw ,great day for riding,-14c and blue sky !!

groomer !!! :drinks:

Yes sir Groomer, Timing is everything.

Keep on truckin with your rig Groomer those trails won't last forever for sure. Time is slipping away, March is here Tuesday.

Thanks for all your hard work and lost sleep. But I know you love it. Thank You!!!!

Edited by iceman

Yes sir Groomer, Timing is everything.

Keep on truckin with your rig Groomer those trails won't last forever for sure. Time is slipping away, March is here Tuesday.

Thanks for all your hard work and lost sleep. But I know you love it. Thank You!!!!

hi iceman !!

thanks !!sure ,they won t last forever!! geeeeeeeezz,already in march!!since the last 3 weeks ,not much sleep !!sometimes 3-4 hrs a night!!!

forgot on the other post ,friday ,one week ago ,was supposed to groom tq5.it was snowing and windy like hell.ain t worth to groom 12 hrs .waited for saturday,+1c .way too warm to groom.snow stick in the drag and im ''pulling '' way too much ''dead '' snow(weight) in the drag.this is hell grooming in conditions like that.waited for sunday.woow ,trail was rough !!nicest place ,was at the parking i do at the st fidele cb.

i took almost 14 hrs on that run.when it s rough like that,til about 8 am,where it s very rough, i groom on both sides ,specially curves and hills.this give a chance to sledders coming from cross point to save many bumps .if i remember well ,started around 3 15 am and arrived at the cb at 11 am.on good conditions ,it take about 5-5.5 hrs to go to the cb.

same run last friday,trail was still an 8.5 + ,took 9.5 hrs to groom all tq 5.

Thanks Jackstraw- We rode with a large guided group and the tour operator set up the time.If we ever go back on our own I will take your advice into consideration!!

Out of curiosity, why did you decide to go with a guide? If you were in a large group and at the end of the line, it will be a little rougher as you probably have figured out.

You said you have been to Quebec before. The maps and trails are usually well marked. I don't want to imply guides are bad because they do serve a purpose for new riders but they usually take the popular, safe trails which are going to have the most traffic (bumps).

Jack & Sandi

That's right timing is everything! Just finished a four day tour of the Gaspesie. We drove to Rimouski on Tuesday 1035 km, took us 11 hours. We still had light when we arrived so we decided to take off towards groomers area. We left Rimouski and took 579 to 587 to 591 to Amqui. 2.5 hours 75 miles and yes some trails groomed and some not, but over all good ! Wednesday we got up and took 5 down to Albert ville and woke up the groomer guy, had a nice visit. We then left Albert Ville for Causapsasca and took local trails all the way up to St.Luc-de-Matane, then took 5 east to Monte St. Pierre. 231 miles and maybe 40 that were not up to Quebec standards, but a lot of fresh groomed trails. Thursday we left Monte St.Pierre; the first 4 miles were crap but the groomer couldn't get up the hill because of the deep snow. We got down on the other side and hit fresh groomed trails for the next 15 miles, and then hit about 30 miles of so-so trails. The rest of 5 to Grande-Riviere was fly time, all fresh groomed; 205 miles that day, in by 4:30. Friday we went from Grande-Riviere north to 597 to Murdochville, mostly all fresh groomed and fly time. Murdochville to Relais la Cache on local trail, was groomed in the last 3 days. Lunch at Relais then took 595 south towards New Richmond. This trail was awsome and fresh groomed the whole way to 5! Also, the plowed area is now being groomed. We continued on to Pointe A La Croix for the night, some chop around Carleton, but still a lot of fresh groomed in that area. In by 5:30, 280 miles. Saturday we took rerouted 5 through L'alvene and this trail was a blast! We continued on 5 all the way back to the truck and Rimouski. Not a word of a lie almost all the trails had been groomed the night before or within the last two days. We left at 7:45 in the morning, made one stop for gas and were back at the truck by 12:45, 184 miles. Groomer told us that those areas get groomed mid week, and he was right. We lucked out and had perfect temperatures, sun, and no snow! I can see where Gaspesie could be hard to do because of the snow and wind and temperature, but I've ridden most of Quebec and this was one of the most scenic areas one can ride in! We did 975 miles in four days, and I want to go back, but I know it will never be the same; but I'll still go. Will post pictures soon!Also thanks to Smclelan for the route suggestion it was great!

Edited by snowfarmer

That's right timing is everything! Just finished a four day tour of the Gaspesie. We drove to Rimouski on Tuesday 1035 km, took us 11 hours. We still had light when we arrived so we decided to take off towards groomers area. We left Rimouski and took 579 to 587 to 591 to Amqui. 2.5 hours 75 miles and yes some trails groomed and some not, but over all good ! Wednesday we got up and took 5 down to Albert ville and woke up the groomer guy, had a nice visit. We then left Albert Ville for Causapsasca and took local trails all the way up to St.Luc-de-Matane, then took 5 east to Monte St. Pierre. 231 miles and maybe 40 that were not up to Quebec standards, but a lot of fresh groomed trails. Thursday we left Monte St.Pierre; the first 4 miles were crap but the groomer couldn't get up the hill because of the deep snow. We got down on the other side and hit fresh groomed trails for the next 15 miles, and then hit about 30 miles of so-so trails. The rest of 5 to Grande-Riviere was fly time, all fresh groomed; 205 miles that day, in by 4:30. Friday we went from Grande-Riviere north to 597 to Murdochville, mostly all fresh groomed and fly time. Murdochville to Relais la Cache on local trail, was groomed in the last 3 days. Lunch at Relais then took 595 south towards New Richmond. This trail was awsome and fresh groomed the whole way to 5! Also, the plowed area is now being groomed. We continued on to Pointe A La Croix for the night, some chop around Carleton, but still a lot of fresh groomed in that area. In by 5:30, 280 miles. Saturday we took rerouted 5 through L'alvene and this trail was a blast! We continued on 5 all the way back to the truck and Rimouski. Not a word of a lie almost all the trails had been groomed the night before or within the last two days. We left at 7:45 in the morning, made one stop for gas and were back at the truck by 12:45, 184 miles. Groomer told us that those areas get groomed mid week, and he was right. We lucked out and had perfect temperatures, sun, and no snow! I can see where Gaspesie could be hard to do because of the snow and wind and temperature, but I've ridden most of Quebec and this was one of the most scenic areas one can ride in! We did 975 miles in four days, and I want to go back, but I know it will never be the same; but I'll still go. Will post pictures soon!Also thanks to Smclelan for the route suggestion it was great!

hi snowfarmer !!

thanks for the report and glad you enjoyed the scenery !!

groomer !!!

Sounds like you had a good trip. Glad I could offer a few suggestions. I have traveled the Gaspesie Region more times than I can rememeber and have never had a bad trip there yet. The people of the Gaspesie are the friendliest you will find anywhere! Good to hear you woke up the Groomer Guy, he always seems to be on the couch!!

Sounds like you had a good trip. Glad I could offer a few suggestions. I have traveled the Gaspesie Region more times than I can rememeber and have never had a bad trip there yet. The people of the Gaspesie are the friendliest you will find anywhere! Good to hear you woke up the Groomer Guy, he always seems to be on the couch!!

ha !! ha !!ha !!well ,my day at work start earlier than yours .very different from your 9am to 5 pm job and i don t take 1.5 hrs for diner ,10 mins max!!! ha !! ha !!ha !! :lol:

grooming ,you must be ready 7 days a week.lots of sacrifices during witer time.don t see friends much.

Well we just got back from a trip to the Gaspe. We started in Matane went east around the coast and then back through the interior from New Richmond. We rode 750 miles and found less than 100 of them groomed!We could have stayed in New York and found more groomed miles.On the positive side the group we rode with were great and the scenery was fantastic.This is the first trip to Quebec we probably will never repeat, we trailered 650 miles and could have found better conditions much closer.So Americans SAVE YOUR MONEY and stay home!

I am always sad when I read something like this. February is "high season" in Gaspesie - typically w/lots of traffic. I know the weather was almost perfect during the time mentioned because I was there too. I don't think there was ALLOT of traffic because I didn't see it and everyone we talked to said it is down. The fact that you traveled with a guide makes me think you probably traveled the typical Sun - Sat times and may be some of the issue. We have always found that starting later in the week and/or going the other direction from the groups that leave RDL, Rimouski, or Matane is better. The idea is to be far enough behind that the trails get groomed after the traffic passes. I certainly understand your disappointment but encourage you to try again another year!

I must add that we had a very different experience. Two of us left Feb 19 (Sat) from the C-A region (Beauceville), travelled through BSL and into Gaspesie. We stayed in Amqui so we could explore the lower end and some of the trails in Groomer's area. (We've done the Gaspe several times and weren't interested in going around again) The worst section of trail was TQ5 on either side of Montmagny. There were a few areas where it was a bit choppier in the corners than we are used to but I would still give our 1000 miles 9.6+/10. (Groomer's section of TQ5 and any of the local trails we took in the Albertville area were 10/10)

On the return, we dropped down to TQ55 outside Tourville for a different route back. We left Thu before the storm. The attached picture is typical of what we found Feb 22-24 and was taken about 70km from Amqui on TQ5W

post-382-049486900 1298862109_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jackstraw- We rode with a large guided group and the tour operator set up the time.If we ever go back on our own I will take your advice into consideration!!

Gaspe tours can only be reliably planned for 3 weeks in February, so that's when trails are poor. Let mother nature guide you, and that's free. When possible do Gaspe January or March, and head to Chibougamau in February, there aren't many tours up there...

Great feedback on this post !!!!

A couple friends and I are going up saturday to ride the Gaspe area for a week. This will be my 5th or 6th time there over the years.

I have been wondering why the infomotoneigistegaspesie.com website has only been reporting trails as good (blue in color) and not a one of them

has been listed as excellent (green in color). Past experience with their information has always been that they are very reserved and never exaggerate the condition of the trails. Usually they are better than stated on the website.

People couldnt be more correct in saying that "timing" is everything in the Gaspe. I just hope our "timing" is correct for March 5th-10th !!!!

P.S. I live in NY too !

wooow !!awesome pics snowfarmer !!

looks like it has been great weather all week !!

pic 3 ,looks close to the intersection of tq 5 and the shortcut to go to ste marguerite.can see the truck logging road up the hills.

thanks for the grooming pics !!

Yeah your right Groomer that picture was taken on the short cut.Thought you like that picture of the twin groomers working.They were filling in a plowed logging road that was no longer being used.I say about 5 miles they put back together.

Yeah your right Groomer that picture was taken on the short cut.Thought you like that picture of the twin groomers working.They were filling in a plowed logging road that was no longer being used.I say about 5 miles they put back together.

just back from grooming 2.5 hrs.hell outside !!10-12 ''of fresh snow and wiiiiiiiiindy.

will wait a few hrs to see what will happen.

groomer !!!