Wish her a speedy recovery

Je me souviens

We were riding back to the truck from Clova last Sunday, she was riding at a controlled speed, not under the influence, when she over shot a corner and hit a metal bridge. Now she has a cracked hip, 2 cracked ribs, and 2 cracked vertebre. She is finally home in the USA, Mont Laurier hospital stay was 4 days, 1 day at CVPH here in Plattsburgh. Needless to stay it has been a long road home. Please be careful, and FYI Medi-vac service is out of business in QC. Research SPOT locator as shown on Alain's sled in many of his pics, I will have one next season. Hopefully none of you will ever discover how bad evacuation services are in La Belle Province. Be safe, and enjoy the rest of the season.

really sorry to hear this bad news :(

wish her and you the best for next and a full recovery soon...

As for SPOT locator it is a nice security device to locate you in case of problem but in fact,it is more complicated than just pushing the 911 button and getting the helicopter...

It would be interesting to make a post on the security best practice and what can be done to make our rides safer... the limits of the SPOT device, the air medic service, insurances....

I'm not better than anyone here, I just carry a SPOT for now but neglect to do more...

Alain

First of all, thank you all for the get well wishes!

It was a long night last night for sure, probably going to get a hospital bed for ease of mobility through ought the night.

Yes it is easy to forget how far you really are from help when you get in the woods between relais'. The reason why we should all get the SPOT locator for our trips in Quebec, could save your life. Also I will equip us with communicators so I can advise of upcoming obstacles.

Now for the details. This all took place 40 kms south of Clova. I was leading, stopped at the foot of the bridge, then when she came around the corner, she locked the brake to stop behind me, lost control, and rolled the sled. She then was tossed off the sled, and hit the guard rail back first. For those who have rode down Lepine this season, it is the last steel bridge before reaching Clova, yes the one with the wooden cross exactly where she hit. The last person to do this died there 2 years ago, or so I was told. After assuring myself I could let her be alone, I had to leave the scene to get help. I headed south knowing there is no hospital in Clova or Parent, only CLSC's which do not have the necessary medical equipment for x-rays and scans etc. I got to relais Evasion where the owner, Jeff Sabourin, took his elite up to the crash site, we got her in it and brought her to his place, Evasion 40 kms south. We then called the next relais to the south, Pensive. The owner's son, Francois Lauzon, drove up the trail in his pick-up, we loaded her in the truck, and headed down to where the logging road meets the trail, 60kms south of Evasion. The ambulance met us there and loaded her on the back board into the ambulance, then off to Mt. Laurier hospital, another 2.5 hour ride, not exactly sure the distance but I want to say it was at least 200kms, if not more, of which the first 60 kms were on the logging road. Once at the hospital we stayed there for 4 days, most of the staff was very accommodating, with the exception of 1 nurse, and 1 liaison who was very concerned about payment. I solved that by getting our insurance company on the phone with her, and they in turn in sent a letter of guarantee, explaining payment will be made. After being released from Mt. Laurier, I drove her in a car to CVPH, the hospital here in Plattsburgh, NY, where we stayed overnight to ensure all was right. Now we are home recovering slowly, all fractures are self healing, no nerve damage.

Thanks again for the wishes, will post some pics of the trip later, right now I am on call.

List of fractures: L-3

T-6 Spinous process fracture

10th-11th rib fracture

Left acetabular fracture

Pelvic fracture

When I got in the ambulance I had to make a decision on what to do with the sleds. I left my truck keys with Francois, he rode my sled to my truck, loaded it, put gas in it and met me at the hospital. His friend drove another truck with my girlfriends sled in it to the hospital. So in the end, I got down to the parking lot and everything I own was delivered right to me the very next day. Proving once again that there may be some that make me shamed to be from Quebec, but for the most part, this is an unbelievably helpful population that will stop at nothing to help you.

Your thread serves to remind us of how frightening things could be out on the trails in between Relais.

Our communicators have served us well in that I can warn my wife of possible upcoming dangers. But as towing says It would be interesting to make a post on the security best practice and what can be done to make our rides safer... the limits of the SPOT device, the air medic service, insurances etc.

Thank God you were able to get help when you did.

Best wishes for a speedy complete recovery to your girlfriend.

Gary

Do not be shamed ever to be from Quebec

There are many things that make me shamed at times to be from America       believe it my friend

Quebecois are an unbelievably helpful people there is no doubt about it!!

Sorry to hear about the accident glad the girlfriend is still with us for sure and gets well soon!

Edited by iceman

Spot seems like a good idea, but I have said it before and will again now Satellite Phone is what is needed with GPS as well of course to give your exact position if need be. You also need the proper numbers for Emergency for the regions you are riding through. 911 is not what you want to dial.There are different numbers for the police SQ and Rescue for each region. Yes depending where you are it can take hours to get help even with a sat phone the right numbers and great weather. Its remote in some places and for sure Clova is one of those areas in the middle of no where. She is very lucky for sure. Just curious, any studs on the sled she was riding?was their alot of ice to make her loose control or just too much brake? I have been through clova but the lepine road trail i have never ridden. I know is supposed to be a very fast run. Its a private trail yes? Not a Federal trail. A shortcut if you will. But groomed and maintained privately i think.

Hi george tom and I are in the gaspee right now and we're just reading this. so sorry to hear but glad she's okay that must've been so scary to leave her there but obviously you had no choice I am a firm believer in spot in the only reason I don't have 1 is because I've been riding with tom this year and he has 1. Stan

She must be one tuff girl. One of the most important things to prevent in a situation like that is reducing shock and hypothermia. You had to leave no doubt, but if others were with you or another group comes upon the scene, the best thing you can do is have 2 persons lay next to the patient to help keep warm. A nearby fire is good also. How cold was it that day? Can you imagine how important warmth is on a -20 day?

A big thumbs up to all that helped your GF and to her for being a trooper and getting thru this. Pain go away soon I pray.

George: I don't know you but want to wish your girlfriend all my best wishes for a full recovery.You are right, sometimes we forget how fragile our bodys can be. We need to stop and be thankful for all we have and not take anything for granted.

You're comment about being a Canadian bothered me a little. Your name says it all,Je me souviens!!I always told my children to remember who they are and where they came from,and to be proud of their heritage. There are wonderful people i'm sure in every land.

When I first learned what Je me souviens meant I understood why the Quebec people fought to keep their provence French speaking. Remember who you are and where you came from George and be proud.

I hope I haven't upset you as that was not my intent. I'm proud of you for the way you handled a very dangerous situation and brought your girlfriend to safety and now assisting her at home.

God Bless you and all Canadians as well who helped out.

Warmest regards, Combat

Thanks again to all and their wishes. :drinks:

Sled was studded, it was not icy, just one of those situations where you grab too much brake and sled goes sideways. Skis eventually caught, and sled rolled.

I really like the idea of opening a thread that would discuss what the limitations of Spot are, and how to make the most out of the available resources. I like the idea of a sat phone, I always said it should be a shared expense among the group. :good:

If anyone has information and/or comments on how to make sure we all take the most precautions when out in the wild please add them.

I did not mean to light a fire with the nationality comment, my intentions were to commend all those who went way out of their way to help us. We all meet people that we wish we were not associated with no matter what the group affiliation is. I am proud to be both Canadian/American. Love both countries very much.

Again thanks to all for their wishes.

Please be safe out there as the season draws to a close.

Here are some pictures of the trip. The one of the bridge is the one she hit, the picture is from a few week-ends back on another trip, she struck the other side of it. She says she is eager to go up to Clova again next year. :clapping:

Edited by Je me souviens

George,

Best wishes for a fast and healing recovery. I myself have de-bated on a SPOT for myself in our group. We did over two years ago get Chatterbox communicators, It was one of the best safety things we ever done, I usually lead and alert the rest. Already has saved mishaps and bad accidents.

Again best wishes to her for recovery!!!

Dale