Dollar drops to record low after Fed rate cut

rob

The dollar fell to a record low on Wednesday after the Federal Reserve cut its benchmark interest rate by a quarter percentage point and said the pace of economic growth will slow this year.

1 US $ = 0.9425 CDN $

:shok::help::sorry:

Was in Canada this weekend. First time I have EVER gotten less than par! Cost me over $100 to fill my truck at one point. :aggressive: But hey, if you have to worry about the cost or justify the expense of the hobby to yourself, then you just can't afford it right?

I read about that at launch time today :0( and because of the rate drop it will drive up the cost of fuel also!

How do you figure that the cost of fuel is inversely related to the rate banks charge banks to borrow funds overnight?

How do you figure that the cost of fuel is inversely related to the rate banks charge banks to borrow funds overnight?

Because the cost of oil in based on the US dollar value. A weaker value they raise the price of fuel to keep it at current cost.

Edit: add statement.

A combination of the weak dollar, supply concerns in Mexico and continued tensions in northern Iraq is also helping to drive oil prices to fresh highs. Mexico had to halt one-fifth of its production because of storm fears.

At the same time, the US currency has fallen to a fresh low against the euro, making oil — which is priced in dollars — attractive to buy, analysts said.

Suggestions that the US Federal Reserve may cut interest rates further when it meets later this week has further hit confidence in the dollar and pushed money towards oil.

Its like a big poker game, where the players are an elite group (With big bucks) they sell the dollars and buy stock in oil, driving up cost.

Because the cost of oil in based on the US dollar value. A weaker value they raise the price of fuel to keep it at current cost.

Edit: add statement.

A combination of the weak dollar, supply concerns in Mexico and continued tensions in northern Iraq is also helping to drive oil prices to fresh highs. Mexico had to halt one-fifth of its production because of storm fears.

At the same time, the US currency has fallen to a fresh low against the euro, making oil — which is priced in dollars — attractive to buy, analysts said.

Suggestions that the US Federal Reserve may cut interest rates further when it meets later this week has further hit confidence in the dollar and pushed money towards oil.

Its like a big poker game, where the players are an elite group (With big bucks) they sell the dollars and buy stock in oil, driving up cost.

Although the aforementioned plays some part in the future of oil, there are more factors at work in the pricing of commodities than just what the traders on the CBOE control. Remember, they are purely speculating when they trade the contracts. Supply and demand has as much to do with the market price at the pump as anything. The cost to extrude the oil has not changed, in fact as wells mature and companies re-coup their costs it becomes as much greed on the part of the producers/refiners as well as the fact that as the price has climbed demand has not declined and the oil companies hold the prices high. If demand were to drop without regard for the valuation of the U.S. dollar the market price would drop respectively.

What is a liter of fuel going for in Canada. 1 L - .26 Gallon :nea:

May have to consider staying in the US a little more than usual.

This has become a rich man's sport!

Fuel is 99.9 cents per litre and at midnight it is going up 2 cents per litre here in New Brunswick. In Quebec it is $103.4 approx. You can follow it on this website.

http://www.quebecgasprices.com/

Andy

What is a liter of fuel going for in Canada. 1 L - .26 Gallon :nea:

May have to consider staying in the US a little more than usual.

This has become a rich man's sport!

Hello Scranton1!

I think that 1us gall = 3.75 Liters

I am not in agreement with you!

Imagine those who practice skiing.

I think it return more expensive when you calculate the cost.

Example:

here at Mont St. Anne, the cost of the ticket for one day/adult is 58.00 + 8.84 tx = 66.84$.

Kids 26+ 3.96tx =29.96$

Big total: 163.64$ We have not put gaz in the car, we have no dinner either!

This is only once/week....How many times during the holidays? On march break's? On summer skiing?

That's not counting the purchase of new high-tech ski. The boots and accessories last shout!

It's just my opinion! ! ;)

Best regards

Hello Scranton1!

I think that 1us gall = 3.75 Liters

I am not in agreement with you!

Imagine those who practice skiing.

I think it return more expensive when you calculate the cost.

Example:

here at Mont St. Anne, the cost of the ticket for one day/adult is 58.00 + 8.84 tx = 66.84$.

Kids 26+ 3.96tx =29.96$

Big total: 163.64$ We have not put gaz in the car, we have no dinner either!

This is only once/week....How many times during the holidays? On march break's? On summer skiing?

That's not counting the purchase of new high-tech ski. The boots and accessories last shout!

It's just my opinion! ! ;)

Best regards

You are trying to compare the price of new high-tech skis to the price of a new sled, clothing, helmet, clothes, etc. Good luck on that one.

You are trying to compare the price of new high-tech skis to the price of a new sled, clothing, helmet, clothes, etc. Good luck on that one.

I speak for my self .... but I do not change my sled each years and my accessories as well. Even my helmet!!

You change it every year!? If so, you are milionnaire... :good:

But on the other hand, I put gaz and I eat each day that a make a ride! On the top of that, I will not be using my car...because I ride my sled!

I think that snowmobile is less expensives...

It cost me/day....140$ for gasoline(for 2 sled) + 45$ for lunch(for 3 people) = 185$/day.....and without to put more gaz in my car......

I skied myself, and I know many who change skiing at every 2 or 3 years. When you have children, you can not keep the same equipment during 3 years ..... You see what I mean! ?

But there is one thing on which we all agree.

Snowmobiling is the most interesting thing to do in our tough winter!

Once again, it's only my opinion!

Best regards,

I speak for my self .... but I do not change my sled each years and my accessories as well. Even my helmet!!

You change it every year!? If so, you are milionnaire... :good:

But on the other hand, I put gaz and I eat each day that a make a ride! On the top of that, I will not be using my car...because I ride my sled!

I think that snowmobile is less expensives...

It cost me/day....140$ for gasoline(for 2 sled) + 45$ for lunch(for 3 people) = 185$/day.....and without to put more gaz in my car......

I skied myself, and I know many who change skiing at every 2 or 3 years. When you have children, you can not keep the same equipment during 3 years ..... You see what I mean! ?

But there is one thing on which we all agree.

Snowmobiling is the most interesting thing to do in our tough winter!

Once again, it's only my opinion!

Best regards,

I do understand that this is your opinion, but a new sled is lets say 8K. Even if you buy new skies ever 2 years at lets say $1000 for skis, boot, and bindings. that is only roughly 3K over 6 years. Do you keep a sled for more then 6 years? You are still ahead by 5K over that six year priod. That is lots of money to go towards skiing over a six year time frame and that is just the sled portion. I to used to ski and I can not even compare how much money I have spent on sledding compared to skiing. IMO it is not even close.

I do understand that this is your opinion, but a new sled is lets say 8K. Even if you buy new skies ever 2 years at lets say $1000 for skis, boot, and bindings. that is only roughly 3K over 6 years. Do you keep a sled for more then 6 years? You are still ahead by 5K over that six year priod. That is lots of money to go towards skiing over a six year time frame and that is just the sled portion. I to used to ski and I can not even compare how much money I have spent on sledding compared to skiing. IMO it is not even close.

Well, I have to agree with you on this! I think I calculate my things very badly! :sad:

But to answer your question: Unfortunately for me, I will not change my snowmobile very often. The sled that I had was a Polaris XLT 1995. I keep this machine 9 years. Change in 2004 for a Super Sport ... not enough power in this machine.

So I rechanger it in 2006.

I think to keep this machine for another 6 or 7 years easy.

Best regards

Well for us that have to trailer to snowmobile we spend a lot more than a skiier. Just the truck and trailer alone put you way past the skiiers cost of equipment.

You can get a seasons pass to ski a mountain for $600 or so. Registration and insurance cost that much for me. Also you don't have to fill your skis up with gas 2 times a day either!!

Snowmobiling is just ridiculously expensive!!!!!

Well for us that have to trailer to snowmobile we spend a lot more than a skiier. Just the truck and trailer alone put you way past the skiiers cost of equipment.

You can get a seasons pass to ski a mountain for $600 or so. Registration and insurance cost that much for me. Also you don't have to fill your skis up with gas 2 times a day either!!

Snowmobiling is just ridiculously expensive!!!!!

I agree. Especially when you trailer 750 miles one way getting 10-12 mpg to get to the HI. Diesel is running $3.20/gallon here in MD which would translate to approx $480.00 for fuel just for the truck (making the false assumption that the cost of fuel is the same in US as it is in QC). That does not include fuel for the sleds, lodging, meals, broken parts on the sled or the ballet...

Also, there are 3.785 L in one US gallon.

• 2 weeks later...
We need E85 sleds! :drinks:

Neal

I think what would be real cool.

Is for a Skimobile Mfg (Preferly Ski-doo) is make them run on a fuel cell. BRP Part# 1234 good for 150 miles.

Stock up on a few of them and your all set for a saddle bag trip.

And another thing that would be great about it, sense many people hate snowmobiles because they (so call) ruin the enviroment.

The 1st motor sport to go green, that would be big and get a lot of press.