looking to buy trailer

Mid Range

I couldn't be at a better place than over here since most of you, if not all, owns a trailer....

I am looking at buying an enclosed double trailer.I need your input.What is good quality/price? What to stay away from? What minimal dimensions? dual or single axle?.

I am not looking at a cargo-type of trailer but like this one.Thank you...

triton_trailer.jpg

Hi Mid Range,

We have had an old pop-up camp trailer that the top was taken off of so it had sides and no top (really ugly), an open 2 place trailer (all steel, ugh), a full 8'6" wide 4 place (steel frame with an aluminum skin, another heavy weight), an enclosed clamshell 2 place like you show (all aluminum) and now an "in-line", 7' wide, enclosed 4 place (all aluminum).

The converted pop-up and the 2 place all steel trailer was all we could afford in the early years. Not recommended but they did the job.

In 1994, we bought the 4 place steel / aluminum trailer. This worked good but the half ton suburban couldn't pull it. The chevy blew the transmission 3 times in one season. It was time for a new truck.

In the late 90's we bought a 2 place Featherlite trailer with the clamshell top. This was to supplement the heavy 4 place trailer when we only had 2 sleds to transport. It was a single axle, all aluminum trailer. We purchased it new and it was about $1,250 for the trailer and $1,250 for the cap. That was about 12 years ago.

The trailer pulled easy. It wasn't too hard to load and unload but it was before the rev style sleds which as you know are taller than the old sleds. The one thing I dislike about that style of trailer is that it is hard to see around the trailer. I didn't have the "camper" mirrors on the tow truck and purchased mirror extenders. They worked OK but not great. There isn't much extra space in the clamshell style trailer for luggage, tools, etc. There is a demand for this style trailer. We know. Ours was stolen. Luckily it was empty.

We now have a four place "in-line", V-nose trailer by Rance Trailers. The in-line trailers are 7' wide instead of 8'6". The in-line trailers are more expensive than the deck trailers with a cap but you get a lot more trailer. It tows easy because it is narrower than a regular full width trailer and is very easy to see around for the same reason. The price for it was around $10,000 in 2005.

The inline trailers are usually 4 place trailers but do come in 2 place and 3 place. Depending on what the budget can afford, I would aim for an all aluminum trailer and if I planned on using it a lot, the in-line would definately be my choice. The in-line trailers load by driving in the front door and unload thru the rear door.

The smaller clamshell trailers are almost always single axle. The full style trailers are almost always dual axle. The dual axle rides and tows better. And if you get a flat, you could possibly go on three wheels, although it is highly not recommended, it could get you off of the highway to a safe place.

Happy shopping.

Jack & Sandi :drinks:

Midrange: I've had 2 enclosed trailers. The first was a 1999 Sled Bed trailer with a Blizzard cap. This was all aluminum and was 101" x 12'. I bought the 12' size because I wasn't sure if my 1999 Grand Touring Ski Doo would fit. As it turned out the sled would fit in a 10' long trailer. The 12' length was nice however since there was extra room for luggage and gas cans etc. One drawback was the fact that the bed when tilted had a tendancy to not want to stay up while loading a second sled. It was doable by myself ,however two people made it easier. The bed would also slam down on the frame which I'm sure wasn't good for the frame work. I did have a severe problem occur when the trailer was about 6-7 years old . The two bolts that hold the bed to the frame wore out. I caught it when the first bolt broke. It had rusted away. This is the bolt that is where the bed pivots from the a frame. Had it ever let go while moving it could have been a real disaster. The truck would have been pulling the a frame and everything else,axle, bed, sleds, and cap all going in an unknown direction. Not good.I did get it fixed and it is still in use.It was a single axel by the way.

The current trailer I have is an Avalanche made in New Hampshire. This is a 101' x 10' enclosed, single axel. This has been great. Torsion axel which by the way the other trailer had as well. It has LED lights and the shocks that hold up the cap and the bed when tilted work great. The other nice feature is a slotted track in the bed so the tie down bars can be positioned at any location on the floor.Another neat idea they had was to have all the wiring and lites mounted in the cap. This keeps all the wiring dry and readily accessible. Nothing exposed to the elements. The license plate is also mounted on the back of the cap up high where it is visable. Plates mounted under the bed are not good when you have a tilt trailer because when they tilt the license plate gets mashed into the ground and bent. When they get loose the snow builds up on them and they can fall off.

Things I would want to make sure are included are. Spare tire, wheels that have grease fittings, heavy aluminum diamond plate so stones don't puncture the skin on the front, and a tongue jack. I also would look to have the spare tire mounted somewhere, preferably inside the cap.With sleds getting longer a 12' might not be a bad idea.

I hope I helped out. Questions let me know. Good luck, Combat :good:

I have a Triton 12' X 8' 6" LT with the triple tounge and either 12 or 13" optional radial tires. I love this thing, lights are all concealed in tube frame, very well thought out clam shell lift system, I could go on but suffice to say my next trailer will be a new Triton.

The only issue with any clam shell type is snow on the top, you must clean them off to open them. The plus side is they weigh nothing and are easy to maneuver when not hooked to the truck.

Jack

I would recommend either a Triton http://www.tritontrailers.com/content/snowdiffchart2.jpg or a Rance http://www.rancealuminum.com/default.asp?page=snowmobiletrailers&model=opensnow&choice=gallery trailer. I have owned both and both have served me well. I had the Triton for 4 years and I have had the Rance for 10 years. The Triton was a clamshell and the Rance is a 102" wide x 16' long x 6' high.

Bill

thank you guys for your input.Very much appreciated.

Phil1: is clamshell a cover that is lifting but no loading ramp and a tilting platform?

the pic above is the new model made by triton TC11 and TC16? these models has a loading ramp but the cover is not tilting??No 12 feet in that model?

Thank you for lightening me up.

Mike, I just bought a 12 by 8.5 Blizzard with a ramp for dive in and out. This seems to be better than my old tilt bed. The best thing I did was get it with 2 axles , 4 13 inch wheels, you do not even know you are pulling it, extremely nice, good luck, Bob.

Mike, I just bought a 12 by 8.5 Blizzard with a ramp for dive in and out. This seems to be better than my old tilt bed. The best thing I did was get it with 2 axles , 4 13 inch wheels, you do not even know you are pulling it, extremely nice, good luck, Bob.

I didn't think of it earlier but I agree with the bigger rims, 13" or larger. The wheels don't have to spin as fast so the tires and bearings last longer and it makes the trailer easier to pull.

Jack

Phil1: is clamshell a cover that is lifting but no loading ramp and a tilting platform?

Yes cover lifts and trailer must be a tilt trailer. I prefer tilt to drive up. Drive up requires you to handle a ramp. I like light simple.

The TC models are different, they are a hy-bred type trailer, they have my interest for a possible next trailer. Read door opens, but sled must have reverse... I know most do. :)

This is my current trailer. I would prefer no front door at all I have never used this door on any trailer I have had.

Edited by Phil 1

What ever trailer you buy get a set of Super Clamps to tie them down.They cost some $ but are worth it.I have a full drive on but a clamshell they would work really well on.Always hated how long it took to screw down the ones that came stock on what ever trailer i bought.

I couldn't be at a better place than over here since most of you, if not all, owns a trailer....

I am looking at buying an enclosed double trailer.I need your input.What is good quality/price? What to stay away from? What minimal dimensions? dual or single axle?.

triton_trailer.jpg

Hey Midrange, I have the TC-11 and LOVE IT !!This was my 4 th season with it. I have the the quickslide track system and have the spare tire and gas can mounted on the floor in front of the sleds ( 121's). Also have the fuel door and the large front door is awsome as you can get to the tie downs,gas can, spare tire and I mounted 2 milk crates on each side of front door for jack, battery charger and other trailer related goodies. Also you can put alot of gear bags etc right inside the front door. Another nice feature is you can jump right in to fuel up or get to other things inside and there is a light right inside of front door and rear door with seperate switches, and thats just from the front door. Open up the back and ride right in ! I installed nice plywood on sections of both sides and got shelving from a trailer store for oil, belts ,tools, papertowel holder, hand cleaner,broom,shovel,shop manuels and whatever else you can think of.On the floor I installed ski guides and track mats and it all works GREAT !!

Hey Midrange, I have the TC-11 and LOVE IT !!This was my 4 th season with it. I have the the quickslide track system and have the spare tire and gas can mounted on the floor in front of the sleds ( 121's). Also have the fuel door and the large front door is awsome as you can get to the tie downs,gas can, spare tire and I mounted 2 milk crates on each side of front door for jack, battery charger and other trailer related goodies. Also you can put alot of gear bags etc right inside the front door. Another nice feature is you can jump right in to fuel up or get to other things inside and there is a light right inside of front door and rear door with seperate switches, and thats just from the front door. Open up the back and ride right in ! I installed nice plywood on sections of both sides and got shelving from a trailer store for oil, belts ,tools, papertowel holder, hand cleaner,broom,shovel,shop manuels and whatever else you can think of.On the floor I installed ski guides and track mats and it all works GREAT !!

You just described the "Perfect" 2 place trailer. :drinks:

You just described the "Perfect" 2 place trailer. :drinks:

Hey Mid-Range wanna buy a gently used Triton 12' clamshell tilt? I have just been sold on the TC-11... :rofl:

:drinks:

Edited by Phil 1

Thanks for your input Pipemaster.I was looking at the brochure on http://www.tritontrailers.com/Brochures.aspx and on your model does it come with a single Quickslide channel(one tiedown bar for both sleds?.What are the standard accessories on the TC11....plywood tickness?

Hey Mid-Range wanna buy a gently used Triton 12' clamshell tilt? I have just been sold on the TC-11... :rofl:

:drinks:

lol..... :D I'm kind of sold too.But gawd they aren't cheap.

I have owned the trailer pictured since 2008 and think it is the best workin trailer I have owned. I have had quite a few over the years and this one is the best. Folding rear door is great, much better than tilting the bed and lifting that cover. Very large front door makes clamping down so easy and you dont get all that road crap all over you. Sliding tiedowns work great also. I have the wall bracket for the spare and a shelf for storage. Tows and rides good. I think the best 2 place on the market. Switchbacks and renegrades fit just fine

Thanks for your input Pipemaster.I was looking at the brochure on http://www.tritontrailers.com/Brochures.aspx and on your model does it come with a single Quickslide channel(one tiedown bar for both sleds?.What are the standard accessories on the TC11....plywood tickness?

lol..... :D I'm kind of sold too.But gawd they aren't cheap.

Yea I here ya, I paid a bit over $5000.00 USD, however unless I wreck it I plan to have for 20 + years. Triton makes a quality trailer,cheap they are NOT ! Ya get what ya pay for.

Edited by Pipemaster

Midrange: I've had 2 enclosed trailers. The first was a 1999 Sled Bed trailer with a Blizzard cap. This was all aluminum and was 101" x 12'. I bought the 12' size because I wasn't sure if my 1999 Grand Touring Ski Doo would fit. As it turned out the sled would fit in a 10' long trailer. The 12' length was nice however since there was extra room for luggage and gas cans etc. One drawback was the fact that the bed when tilted had a tendancy to not want to stay up while loading a second sled. It was doable by myself ,however two people made it easier. The bed would also slam down on the frame which I'm sure wasn't good for the frame work. I did have a severe problem occur when the trailer was about 6-7 years old . The two bolts that hold the bed to the frame wore out. I caught it when the first bolt broke. It had rusted away. This is the bolt that is where the bed pivots from the a frame. Had it ever let go while moving it could have been a real disaster. The truck would have been pulling the a frame and everything else,axle, bed, sleds, and cap all going in an unknown direction. Not good.I did get it fixed and it is still in use.It was a single axel by the way.

The current trailer I have is an Avalanche made in New Hampshire. This is a 101' x 10' enclosed, single axel. This has been great. Torsion axel which by the way the other trailer had as well. It has LED lights and the shocks that hold up the cap and the bed when tilted work great. The other nice feature is a slotted track in the bed so the tie down bars can be positioned at any location on the floor.Another neat idea they had was to have all the wiring and lites mounted in the cap. This keeps all the wiring dry and readily accessible. Nothing exposed to the elements. The license plate is also mounted on the back of the cap up high where it is visable. Plates mounted under the bed are not good when you have a tilt trailer because when they tilt the license plate gets mashed into the ground and bent. When they get loose the snow builds up on them and they can fall off.

Things I would want to make sure are included are. Spare tire, wheels that have grease fittings, heavy aluminum diamond plate so stones don't puncture the skin on the front, and a tongue jack. I also would look to have the spare tire mounted somewhere, preferably inside the cap.With sleds getting longer a 12' might not be a bad idea.

I hope I helped out. Questions let me know. Good luck, Combat :good:

Avalanche is about an hour south of me...http://www.docksystem.com/Winterproducts.htm. Your more than welcome to stay at my place if you decide to go with one....... :good: Michael

triton_trailer.jpg

Mid Range,looked at all the big name trailers I think you should look at a company called proline,bought one last fall, better built than a Triton and less money, go on line if you have any questions call Tom the owner.

I was going to suggest that also but most people just buy a Triton without much shopping. My riding partner bought a Proline a couple of years ago and it is very well made and less money. They are made right at a small factory by the owner and his son in NH. You can visit and see them being made. I know some people have done this. We see allot of them in the ME, NH, VT area as well as in our travels in QC. Many of the testimonials on their website are from folks who come down from QC so it may be worth getting some references. They seem to be less $ than Triton and the quality is at least as good - maybe better.

ProLine Trailers

It doesn't seem like a big deal but I would suggest considering getting it somewhere where you can return if you ever need parts. Like anything else, trailers need thing from time to time. (Door gaskets come to mind for me.) I was glad my dealer was there to order them because it wasn't something you can find on any street corner.

Good Luck whichever one you choose!

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54

Mid Range,looked at all the big name trailers I think you should look at a company called proline,bought one last fall, better built than a triton and less money, go on line if you have any questions call Tom the owner.

I was going to suggest that also but most people just buy a Triton without much shopping. My riding partner bought a Proline a couple of years ago and it is very well made and less money. They are made right at a small factory by the owner and his son in NH. You can visit and see them being made. I know some people have done this. We see allot of them in the ME, NH, VT area as well as in our travels in QC. Many of the testimonials on their website are from folks who come down from QC so it may be worth getting some references. They seem to be less $ than Triton and the quality is at least as good - maybe better.

ProLine Trailers

It doesn't seem like a big deal but I would suggest considering getting it somewhere where you can return if you ever need parts. Like anything else, trailers need thing from time to time. (Door gaskets come to mind for me.) I was glad my dealer was there to order them because it wasn't something you can find on any street corner.

Good Luck whichever one you choose!

Thank you both for your input,I appreciate it.These trailers looks pretty good indeed.Have you seen the full coverage diamond plate. :good:

Are they available in Canada? or only from the Factory in NH.Thank you.We are a long way if any problems occured or need new parts.This is an issue that I must keep in mind.

I know that http://www.alcomusa.com/ sells Mission Trailers and there is a Dealer in the Ottawa region.are Mission good trailers??

Considering the USD vs CAD.....it might be a good idea to cross the border.

Edited by Mid Range

Thank you both for your input,I appreciate it.These trailers looks pretty good indeed.Have you seen the full coverage diamond plate. :good:

Are they available in Canada? or only from the Factory in NH.Thank you.We are a long way if any problems occured or need new parts.This is an issue that I must keep in mind.

I know that http://www.alcomusa.com/ sells Mission Trailers and there is a Dealer in the Ottawa region.are Mission good trailers??

Considering the USD vs CAD.....it might be a good idea to cross the border.

As far as I know, ProLine is still only selling from the single Milton, NH location. Depending on what you are seeing for cost of the unit you want to buy there in QC, it may (or may not) be worth considering Proline. I understand what you say about being a long way from them if you need a part - then again many Canadians seem to have decided to buy there. It would be 8+ hr drive? Other than things like seals like I mentioned, I cannot think of parts that would not be easily available and if not, they could ship(?)

I can tell you that the way the units are made does seem very strong and it tows straight and true. I think his design of the sides tied into the well designed frame are part of that. He uses the a system like a garage door has to raise/lower the rear door. (A torsion spring around a heavy shaft to assist raising and cushion lowering) Very smooth. My riding partner has the 101" unit w/dual axels and he also added the side door. It has the full diamond plate covering - I think all Prolines do.

I have not hear many positive things from owners of Mission trailers. Mission is the result of the merger of the former SnoPro (who mostly made covers/tops) and another company. They are made in Maine but have distributors as you found. The problems I have hear involve quality issues (poor workmanship, fitting, etc) A member of our club has one and says he would not buy another.

It is allot of $$ so I completely understand your concerns.