FIRST TRIP TO RIDE QUEBEC-FROM ONTARIO

lindasledgirl

Ok, so Grumpy Santa, grab phil1 and trailblazer, we'll stop and get you something new at the ski doo dealer and head to the 93...apparantly "right to the very end!" I will make some sandwhichs for the trip :yahoo:

Who else is in?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so Grumpy Santa, grab phil1 and trailblazer, we'll stop and get you something new at the ski doo dealer and head to the 93...apparantly "right to the very end!" I will make some sandwhichs for the trip :yahoo:

Who else is in?

Maybe 2 bags of sandwiches...that is a haul.. :drinks::yahoo:

Last year I advertised on this and other web sites for riders, got several who took the bait, it was an interesting year to say the least...

Trekking across the country on a sled is a big deal, all the way to Gaspe and back is a REALLY big deal. Quebec is an awesome place to ride, but conditions, weather, sleds and riders dictates how far you can go. I ride 3K-5K per year up there, have done 6500 miles in a year up there, I know others do a lot more.

If you want a good experience, don't bite off more than you can chew. Keep it reasonable. Go in Mid February to early March, best snow and weather is getting warmer. Start somewhere that grooms a lot, and your stuff is kind safe.

Chibougamau is awesome, but not the place for your first ride.

If you don't want to drive to far, Mont Laurier has a nice mix of trails.

Quebec City is awesome! Lot's of trails, lot's of nightlife.

St Zenon and it's surrounding areas can be nice, but can also be over crowded and over ridden.

Mont Valins is nice for sure, but again you have to know where to go, the week-end warriors can wreak havoc on the main trails, but the outer trails offer some of the best scenery in Quebec.

Gaspe is awesome too. Gas and services are fairly spread out there, and the weather is very unpredictable there too.

To really plan a trip, you have to decide on so many things, how ready are you and your sled, how many days, how big a group, how many miles in a day, back-up plans?

We live close to the border, so we go on a moments notice if the conditions are good, but in the past 3 years, you have to be careful, the snow cover has been very spotty.

If you are serious, haul your self to Jonquiere, and do a few days rides will Bill, it will be a great first exposure to Quebec.

Mark.

I look at the maps and really know very little about where is best to go. I am FAR from Quebec. I am in Sarnia. So none of it is 'closer' its all far.

1. Anyone else thinking of making the trip to Quebec?

2. If you Quebec Riders could make a few suggestions as to where to start...that would be great. I am able to head into Quebec on the very WEST side at 396, 93, 83 or 63 which is the east side of northern ontario....or I can go in from the Ottawa area/ Pembroke Quebec 43 or quebec 323 or just trailer right in to Quebec and ride from the hotel there.

I have all the stuff, just need the plan and perhaps some other riders that want to meet up. No offense to anyone, but I would be looking for fairly high mileage riders and mostly trail. Ride after early breakfast till dinner. Drink once we are parked. So fast but responsible.

I look forward to your suggestions! Oh and although born in Montreal, I do not speak French...I can nod, that's about it lol.

Trekking across the country on a sled is a big deal, all the way to Gaspe and back is a REALLY big deal. Quebec is an awesome place to ride, but conditions, weather, sleds and riders dictates how far you can go. I ride 3K-5K per year up there, have done 6500 miles in a year up there, I know others do a lot more.

If you want a good experience, don't bite off more than you can chew. Keep it reasonable. Go in Mid February to early March, best snow and weather is getting warmer. Start somewhere that grooms a lot, and your stuff is kind safe.

St Zenon and it's surrounding areas can be nice, but can also be over crowded and over ridden.

Mont Valins is nice for sure, but again you have to know where to go, the week-end warriors can wreak havoc on the main trails, but the outer trails offer some of the best scenery in Quebec.

Gaspe is awesome too. Gas and services are fairly spread out there, and the weather is very unpredictable there too.

To really plan a trip, you have to decide on so many things, how ready are you and your sled, how many days, how big a group, how many miles in a day, back-up plans?

We live close to the border, so we go on a moments notice if the conditions are good, but in the past 3 years, you have to be careful, the snow cover has been very spotty.

If you are serious, haul your self to Jonquiere, and do a few days rides will Bill, it will be a great first exposure to Quebec.

Mark.

X2 THIS IS SOME EXCELLENT ADVISE :good:

Mark.

Thanks so much Mark...but who is Bill?

There are lots of choices in terms of Quebec riding I see. I have bags of maps and brochures and have been all around the Ontario/Quebec border, but just haven't been over. It's tough for people in this neck of the woods to see putting yet another permit on their sled when we have so many good trails here. And then there is the cost of getting there and the time off etc... But I can't take it any longer...It's like the land of the forbidden fruit for me...and I am en route lol.

I appreciate everyone's great advice, trail suggestions and ideas. Let's hope for some good snow this year!

Lindasledgirl

Maybe 2 bags of sandwiches...that is a haul.. :drinks::yahoo:

Last year I advertised on this and other web sites for riders, got several who took the bait, it was an interesting year to say the least...

I can bring a roast if you think we need it lol

I have lots of stories too...I ride more than most, so I have met some 'interesting' folks trying not to ride alone. It's a good idea to do a short ride with people before you sign up for a 'tour' with them.

And to be honest, I have been very lucky to find some great friends. I will be with my Sledheads group this weekend for a Weekend of ATVing, moosemeat chilli, and to make the plan for our sled trip to Cochrane. They are like my brothers and as much as they tease me like crazy...they are good guys.

who is Bill?

Reading this thread it will begin to give you an idea of who Bill is... Bill rides 10,000 miles a season out of the Holiday Inn in Jonqueire...

http://www.quebecrider.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1673 :)

Edited by Phil 1

who is Bill?

Reading this thread it will begin to give you an idea of who Bill is... Bill rides 10,000 miles a season out of the Holiday Inn in Jonqueire...

http://www.quebecrider.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1673 :)

Oh Wow...I know which Bill now...thanks!

My 2 cents. Some one mentioned North Bay that is a fine idea. I have ridden out of that area several times (one time to the Polaris factory and back). If you still want to tow into Qc Mount Larurier would be the farthest east I would travel. Seven days you could do a basic figure 8 of the area. I leave my trailer at the Rabaska in Mount Laurier and ride out of their for tours. (generally like this year arrive Dec 22 fly home then come back several times) Personally I would high side through clova to the lake. Take it out to Tadoussac and down. Many very nice places to stay along the way.

My second suggestion would be to pick one area and perhaps over night in multiple directions that would give you a taste of that expanded area to build on. Plus side is your never more then a few hours to the trailer if issues come up.

I did the above last year alone(high side the lake) be prepared I have sat phone if I'm alone. For the record I will be doing that ride 2 week of Feb if your group is interested so far I'm solo again.

No matter what you plan your still out doing something unique and exhilarating I have had more enjoyable days only going 100 miles but the beauty and memories I will take with me. Two rides every one should do is the gaspee and labrador if you thirst for adventure

Jesse

Edited by rmk

I can bring a roast if you think we need it lol

A roast...did i hear you say a roast Mmmmm :p do you have one of those hot dog thingys that attach to your muffler or something, lol.

Yeah, we gotta work on Grumpy Santa this year for a new sled :unsure: and not the kind with reindeer. lol.

Oh I mean a roast! Not a hot dog in a muff pot :lol:

I will be going to an ATV weekend...I will take some pictures of this weekends roast! Its a big ham, dressed up with pineapple and cherries! My other signature dishes are Pulled Pork and BBQ eye of the Round Roast Beef. If I bring a roast, nobody has to stay in the kitchen all weekend and cook!

My 2 cents. Some one mentioned North Bay that is a fine idea. I have ridden out of that area several times (one time to the Polaris factory and back). If you still want to tow into Qc Mount Larurier would be the farthest east I would travel. Seven days you could do a basic figure 8 of the area. I leave my trailer at the Rabaska in Mount Laurier and ride out of their for tours. (generally like this year arrive Dec 22 fly home then come back several times) Personally I would high side through clova to the lake. Take it out to Tadoussac and down. Many very nice places to stay along the way.

My second suggestion would be to pick one area and perhaps over night in multiple directions that would give you a taste of that expanded area to build on. Plus side is your never more then a few hours to the trailer if issues come up.

I did the above last year alone(high side the lake) be prepared I have sat phone if I'm alone. For the record I will be doing that ride 2 week of Feb if your group is interested so far I'm solo again.

No matter what you plan your still out doing something unique and exhilarating I have had more enjoyable days only going 100 miles but the beauty and memories I will take with me. Two rides every one should do is the gaspee and labrador if you thirst for adventure

Jesse

Hi Jesse

Thanks for your note! This is a help as well! And I have to sit down with the maps and figure out where you guys are talking about exactly...I did look online and just like Ontario...lots of options. I am interested in hearing more of your February ride. I would prefer to ride with someone that knows a little about the area, but yes I do carry a spot connect and GPS.

Do you have the date of your trip set yet?

Lindasledgirl

We are from Ontario and go to PQ every year. I would recommend Gaspe for your first trip. You will be in heaven and spoiled forever. Its really worth the drive.

Thanks Nimrod!

I have heard this before...I think I am just going to have to go!

Lindasledgirl,

If your going to go for it and go to the Gaspie, this is groomers teritory and our winter Quebec Rider gathering is there on Jan. 20,21. I will be there riding with others in that whole week of Jan 16-21 and it is my first time to see groomers great area. Seen many parts of Quebec, south,east, north and around Quebec city and St donat area north of Montreal, but not in Groomers back yard. Can't wait. :drinks:

Linda to this end; It's tough for people in this neck of the woods to see putting yet another permit on their sled when we have so many good trails here.

I purchase:

PA DER trail permit

NY State Registration

NEPA Sno-Trails permit, our local riding area

Quebec annual permit

VAST Vermont trail system

The hood of my sled looks like a race car with all the required stickers...It is just the cost of doing business.. :yahoo::good:

THis pix is year before last in the Poconos we had a ton of snow here that year...

Linda to this end; It's tough for people in this neck of the woods to see putting yet another permit on their sled when we have so many good trails here.

I purchase:

PA DER trail permit

NY State Registration

Quebec annual permit

The hood of my sled looks like a race car with all the required stickers...It is just the cost of doing business.. :yahoo::good:

THis pix is year before last in the Poconos we had a ton of snow here that year...

Oh I am sure you have friends that don't have all those permits. I have friends that are trying to keep their sleds...marriage, babies, loss of jobs etc. Some of my group are younger...and I make no bones...I am always proud of people (especially men) that give up a toy or a hobby while they need to be home to be a dad (or a good parent). If my post sounded like people thought it wasn't good value, that isn't what I meant. More that sometimes we have to make changes...hopefully temporarily.

And on that happy note...my son just picked up a new sled yesterday...a 2011 Renegade 800 Etec X with only 525km on it!! The guy is expecting a baby this winter...won't be riding!! lol My son is very happy!

Lindasledgirl,

If your going to go for it and go to the Gaspie, this is groomers teritory and our winter Quebec Rider gathering is there on Jan. 20,21. I will be there riding with others in that whole week of Jan 16-21 and it is my first time to see groomers great area. Seen many parts of Quebec, south,east, north and around Quebec city and St donat area north of Montreal, but not in Groomers back yard. Can't wait. :drinks:

I should be on this run. I meet with my group this weekend...I am going to see if I can possible change the date of our Cochrane trip.

Oh I am sure you have friends that don't have all those permits. I have friends that are trying to keep their sleds...marriage, babies, loss of jobs etc. Some of my group are younger...and I make no bones...I am always proud of people (especially men) that give up a toy or a hobby while they need to be home to be a dad (or a good parent). If my post sounded like people thought it wasn't good value, that isn't what I meant. More that sometimes we have to make changes...hopefully temporarily.

And on that happy note...my son just picked up a new sled yesterday...a 2011 Renegade 800 Etec X with only 525km on it!! The guy is expecting a baby this winter...won't be riding!! lol My son is very happy!

I do have one friend who does have all those passes...I do understand giving up to be good parent. I have a 28 year old and a 9 year old. My wife says go play :) Rather have me away being happy than home miserable. I take care of business just lucky that I have enough to play also.

I ride an 2011 800 e tec renegade put 4,400 miles on it last year. Your son will be VERY happy with that sled.

I do have one friend who does have all those passes...I do understand giving up to be good parent. I have a 28 year old and a 9 year old. My wife says go play :) Rather have me away being happy than home miserable. I take care of business just lucky that I have enough to play also.

I ride an 2011 800 e tec renegade put 4,400 miles on it last year. Your son will be VERY happy with that sled.

My son that just bought that sled is 23, does your 28 ride? I am still adjusting to riding with my kids, I don't really like it to be honest. It makes me nervous and worry, can't concentrate, but maybe I will be better this year.

I purchase:

PA DER trail permit

NY State Registration

Quebec annual permit

What area in the Poconos I have a place west of that town of driftwood. I title the sleds in pa for some odd reason Florida doesn't I. Wonder why. Do you live in that area.

What area in the Poconos I have a place west of that town of driftwood. I title the sleds in pa for some odd reason Florida doesn't I. Wonder why. Do you live in that area.

Driftwood is North Central PA, NEPA SnoTrails in in the Scranton area, Carbondale to be exact. There is a nice little 200 mile trail system we ride. 1 hour from home.

My son that just bought that sled is 23, does your 28 ride? I am still adjusting to riding with my kids, I don't really like it to be honest. It makes me nervous and worry, can't concentrate, but maybe I will be better this year.

No my 28 is a girl and she does not ride sleds. She and her husband ride Jet Ski's when we go boating in the summer. The 9 year old is afraid of the noise, I heve even tried to get her on my bike but she says no thanks.

I am sure your son will be fine but I do understand your concern.

Driftwood is North Central PA, NEPA SnoTrails in in the Scranton area, Carbondale to be exact. There is a nice little 200 mile trail system we ride. 1 hour from home.

I know that area I graduate from wilks. Engineering structural