sold !!!

groomer

John Koubec was an amazing guy and remains a real legend to snowmobilers in Lenaudiere. Many folks aren't aware of the history of that place. If I remember correctly it was originally a private hunting club for the gentry from a large area of Quebec, most from Montreal, Laval and 3 Rivers. John was originally employed as a caretaker/huntmaster for these heavy duty dudes. I believe that John was originally from Czechoslovakia. As our francophone friends in the province achieved more political clout, the Mastigouche Reserve was being expanded and the rich boys lodge was "condemned" and was taken to add to the Mastigouche. Huge stink at the time as the owners (mainly Anglophones) did not go away quietly. Anyhoo, "koubec" became a provincial property,(though separate from SEPAQ, i believe)and the Koubec family were the lessee's for many years. This lessee status was very unfortunate, as the physical condition of this once incredible property deteriorated over the years.

The pics that Alain posted are of what was the main lodge for the original club. There were a large number of cottages arrayed along the lake front, where the members stayed when in residence. These are presently in sorry shape.

The stories of John feeding his pet bear are all true. Saw him do it many times. A few of you oldtimers will remember the huge dog that always sat by John's rocker in the old little dining room; that dog was 3/4 wolf and was, unfortunately, shot by a hunter near the time of John's passing.

In the old days when we used to stay at the Sawmill in St-Michel, our favorite ride (on the central median double groomed trails) was to ride out the road from St-M thru St.Ignace du lac,stop in at the Papillion for "coffee", then ride thru the Masstigouche park gate, and down the old trail past Lac Mastigou to Koubec. I remember pulling into the gas pumps at Koubec many times when it was bitter cold and John's wife, with only a shawl on and bare handed, would pump gas into a line of 8 to 10 sleds, smiling and chatting away the whole time. They were hearty people. The story of his son's exploits with his skiplane are true. Another of his famous flights would be down to the lake at Pourvoirie du Lac Blanc.

The news of the sale of the property to Sacacomie is somewhat puzzling given the history of the property once being private, then taken by eminent domaine by the government????? Jean-Guy, did your story tell you who the SELLER was? Was it provincial government? Any mention of leasehold interests?

I share the sentiments of Towing when he states that it would indeed be unfortunate to turn this hallowed sledding venue into another Sacacomie with all that would entail. Alas, the worm turns and times change.

timbo

Timbo, great to hear the history of the place, I remember one of our first trips with Bernard as the starting place we went there for lunch, probably 6-7 years ago, I thought the place was unique. I have yet to go back through the Mastigouche by sled, went with Shannon and rented a cabin in Mandeville last year, decided to drive the truck through the park for a different view of it with leaves on the trees, that is when you realize how much ground you can cover by sled, as compared to by car. Really is a testament to the fact the Quebec has many large beautiful parks that actually encourage snowmobilers to travel through, unlike Tremblant. Speaking of which...has anybody heard the latest on what the trail system will look like around St Donat this year? Or perhaps caught a glimpse of the Lanaudiere's trail map yet for this year?

post-385-0-66969800-1321745206_thumb.jpg

Really is a testament to the fact the Quebec has many large beautiful parks that actually encourage snowmobilers to travel through, unlike Tremblant. Speaking of which...has anybody heard the latest on what the trail system will look like around St Donat this year? Or perhaps caught a glimpse of the Lanaudiere's trail map yet for this year?

post-385-0-66969800-1321745206_thumb.jpg

I just answer you with this post: http://www.quebecrider.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1987

Hope this help...

:drinks:

Alain

Yeah it was crazy when i think back to the days riding from Glaciere on the 1991 Formula Plus. St michelle to Manawan was quite a feat back then. Koubecs was a welcome warm site for sure. Rumors are unavoidable. Sad but true.

that's for sure iceman the first time I was at Manawan was on an '87 SRV it was all it would go on that road. Could not have made it back then without that gas station 1/2 way it got burned down a little later on. We used to ride from that gas station out to the lumber camp near Casey what memories.

Been to KOUBEC a 100x's!! Nice place and a needed stop in the system. Glad it will stay open.

La pourvoirie était gérée par M. John Koubec (père) depuis des décennies; après son décès, son fils Peter a pris la relève jusqu'à dernièrement

hi snobeeler !!

just saw that on the thread,the owner was john koubec and after his death, his son peter took the business.

im not 100% sure ,but i think a moose came in the yard that afternoon while we were there.

groomer !!!

A few years back there was a Moose hanging out there, walked right up to the sleds parked there. Could pet him too.

Ah yes. Koubec's! What more can be said that hasn't already been covered. I have seen some GORGEOUS sunsets there and some moghty FRIDGID afternoons. No place on any trail system has the charm and old world elegance of Koubecs. It is not a high end or high price location. However, the artistry that is the design and construction, the architecture, the stone work, the wood work, the scenery! The written or spoken word can never describe the feeling you get when you are there! I have been visiting Koubecs annually for 30 years, and it is a place I ALWAYS look forward to.

Been to KOUBEC a 100x's!! Nice place and a needed stop in the system. Glad it will stay open.

A few years back there was a Moose hanging out there, walked right up to the sleds parked there. Could pet him too.

like this !! ha!!ha!!

friend of mine ,duniere reserve !!for sure that moose was sick!!

15-20 years ago,there was one just outside mont st pierre ( winter time ).probably all the population of m s p touched that moose !!remember seeing that on the news .

grommer !!!

• 4 weeks later...

Good news!!!!

1rst: I'm confirmed that renovations have started!!! two guys from the french forum have been there and saw that they begin to lift some little chalet to form new concrete basements and restore them so it seems clear that the new owner want to keep the original spirit of the place :good:

2nd: The auberge should be open this season with services (food and fuel) :good:

:drinks:

Alain

• 8 months later...

la vrai reponse ; c'est que la subvention du gouvernement a ete refusee aux acheteurs , donc Peter (Koubec) a repris sont etablissement . Tout redevient comme avant , avec Peter et Helene. Croyez-moi , c'est ca la verite ; mon chalet est situe a cote du Spa et a 1 km de chez Koubec.

yesterday ,thread about the sale of koubek came back to life !!

sale has been avorted!!

goverment subvention($$$$$) has been refused to the buyer !!

so,peter and helen still the owners !!

also confirmed by a guy from mandeville !!

jean-guy

la vrai reponse ; c'est que la subvention du gouvernement a ete refusee aux acheteurs , donc Peter (Koubec) a repris sont etablissement . Tout redevient comme avant , avec Peter et Helene. Croyez-moi , c'est ca la verite ; mon chalet est situe a cote du Spa et a 1 km de chez Koubec.

sale has been avorted!!

jean-guy

Wow, last December we were in Koubec's. A pretty girl that runs the gift shop at Sacacomie was bartending. They had already installed a new bar across from the fireplace and were fixing up the upstairs. Surprised that they would be doing that if the deal wasn't complete.

sale has been avorted!!

jean-guy

What does that actually mean, goverment subvention? How much where they asking for it? Anyone know

What does that actually mean, goverment subvention? How much where they asking for it? Anyone know

hi jackstraw !!

sorry my english is nt good enough to explain that.

when you start a business...there s departments at the goverment where you can ask money (subvention) to help you to get started......

jean-guy

hi jackstraw !!

sorry my english is nt good enough to explain that.

when you start a business...there s departments at the goverment where you can ask money (subvention) to help you to get started......

jean-guy

Thanks JG, Do you know how much they where asking for it. Can't find anything on line. The wife said she's ready to move, I hope she doesn't mean South! LOL

Thanks JG, Do you know how much they where asking for it. Can't find anything on line. The wife said she's ready to move, I hope she doesn't mean South! LOL

ha!!ha!!

no ,don t know about price ,if i find something ill let you know !!

jean-guy

I was at Koebecs in July and spoke with Helen about the sale of the place. She told me that the new owners kept pushing up the settlement date ( 3 times ) so she and Peter took the place back. NO SALE! The Sacacomie people lost a very large down payment along with all of the improvements that they had done by refusing to settle in the agreed time period. Koebecs will be open for business this winter with Helen running the place. I have known the Koebec family for 24 years and we stopped in to visit by truck. Helen was very glad to see us since they don't get many visitors in the summer. The place is beautiful in the summer. I can't wait til winter and it is good that Koebecs will be back to normal this year.

JimP