New Ski's

mxz7000

I am looking for new ski's for my wifes 05 GSX 600 SDI. I am not sure what to get and looking for some recommendations. Rob I believe you replaced yours and was just wondering what you are using and how happy you are with what you put on.

Thanks,

Bob

I am looking for new ski's for my wifes 05 GSX 600 SDI. I am not sure what to get and looking for some recommendations. Rob I believe you replaced yours and was just wondering what you are using and how happy you are with what you put on.

Thanks,

Bob

I'd try slydogs or put pilots on them. Slydogs have way more control than prescisions without the overly heavy steering of C&A's.

Those who like pilot's have never tried Simmons, and I'm sure that there are others that are fine also. The biggest difference is in the "loose" stuff or powder, thats where the pilot's struggle, not much difference on groomed trails. I put Simmons on my 06' Renegade at 0 miles and did a comparison with my friends 06 gade with pilots, in Nov 2005, exact same setup, the difference in powder was amazing. That being said, I have my pilots, that I should sell, if you're interested.

Simmons are very similar to Ski-Doo Precision skis.. SO similar in fact, that Simmons won a lawsuit against Ski-doo over copying the design. I never understood how some guys would rave about Simmons performance in deep snow when the Precisions were so poor under those conditions. The Pilot skis are much better than Precisions in deep snow, and don't get locked into the grooves of other precisions. I would think Simmons would also track the same way.

As far as performing in the deep, nothing beats SLP Powder Pros in deep snow. But the PP's are an absolute bear to steer on a REV on hardpack groomed trails. I did several ski tests on hcs, and had a lot of skis on hand to switch around and compare. I'll stand by my statement that I believe Pilots provide the best all-around performance (compromise) on the REV chassis.

Those who like pilot's have never tried Simmons, and I'm sure that there are others that are fine also. The biggest difference is in the "loose" stuff or powder, thats where the pilot's struggle, not much difference on groomed trails. I put Simmons on my 06' Renegade at 0 miles and did a comparison with my friends 06 gade with pilots, in Nov 2005, exact same setup, the difference in powder was amazing. That being said, I have my pilots, that I should sell, if you're interested.

Thanks for your response. I would be interested in your pilot ski's. I am also looking at a brand new pair of SLP SLT's. What would you be looking to get for your pilot's?

Simmons are very similar to Ski-Doo Precision skis.. SO similar in fact, that Simmons won a lawsuit against Ski-doo over copying the design. I never understood how some guys would rave about Simmons performance in deep snow when the Precisions were so poor under those conditions. The Pilot skis are much better than Precisions in deep snow, and don't get locked into the grooves of other precisions. I would think Simmons would also track the same way.

As far as performing in the deep, nothing beats SLP Powder Pros in deep snow. But the PP's are an absolute bear to steer on a REV on hardpack groomed trails. I did several ski tests on hcs, and had a lot of skis on hand to switch around and compare. I'll stand by my statement that I believe Pilots provide the best all-around performance (compromise) on the REV chassis.

Interesting. Do you also tweek the ski pressure in the powder?

Interesting. Do you also tweek the ski pressure in the powder?

When switching/comparing skis I'd always leave all settings the same to keep it fair. Beyond that i'd say that the Firecat chassis always turned better with more ski pressure, but there were limits even there, esp with skis like C&As and Powder Pros (which are so aggressive that they didn't need the additional loading). On the REV I tried cranking up to pressure trying to get my Renegade to turn while using the Precisions, but it didn't help much, just made it dart/hunt that much worse. Going to the Pilots, I'd see an immediate improvement in handling in all conditions, even with the front pressure set full light. I'm very pleased with the pilots. But even with that said, the Powder Pros are much, much better in deep snow than any other ski on the market. The Renegade with the 16" track does not want to turn in powder, that is a fact of life. With the Powder Pros it floats and turns much better. But for the rest of the time on the trails, the pilots are much nicer. They make the 'Gade handle like a 121" track. Light ski effort, easy 300+mi days. I wouldn't want to do 300 miles on PPs on a REV on hard groomed trails, that's for sure!

When switching/comparing skis I'd always leave all settings the same to keep it fair. Beyond that i'd say that the Firecat chassis always turned better with more ski pressure, but there were limits even there, esp with skis like C&As and Powder Pros (which are so aggressive that they didn't need the additional loading). On the REV I tried cranking up to pressure trying to get my Renegade to turn while using the Precisions, but it didn't help much, just made it dart/hunt that much worse. Going to the Pilots, I'd see an immediate improvement in handling in all conditions, even with the front pressure set full light. I'm very pleased with the pilots. But even with that said, the Powder Pros are much, much better in deep snow than any other ski on the market. The Renegade with the 16" track does not want to turn in powder, that is a fact of life. With the Powder Pros it floats and turns much better. But for the rest of the time on the trails, the pilots are much nicer. They make the 'Gade handle like a 121" track. Light ski effort, easy 300+mi days. I wouldn't want to do 300 miles on PPs on a REV on hard groomed trails, that's for sure!

Great info...I always carry the shock-tool in my front pocket and adjust for the conditions. Hard-pack is always as light as possible, still not light enough with 6" carbides [not recommended for the Gade]. On powder, with a preload at 3 or 4, the control is amazing. I'm trying a 15"x1.5"x136" ripsaw this year, hopefuly not a mistake.

Great info...I always carry the shock-tool in my front pocket and adjust for the conditions. Hard-pack is always as light as possible, still not light enough with 6" carbides [not recommended for the Gade]. On powder, with a preload at 3 or 4, the control is amazing. I'm trying a 15"x1.5"x136" ripsaw this year, hopefuly not a mistake.

I think that track will be great, the only possible downside being increased slider wear on hard/icy trails. Run it loose. :good: