A great loss to the sport

gun-driver

I received a phone call yesterday afternoon and was told that we lost one of the great ambassadors’ of the sport, Gaetan Aubain.

I was told that he succumbed to lung cancer after a long battle with health issues.

As most of us know Gaetan was a pioneer in bringing U.S. snowmobilers to St. Donat and the surrounding areas.

My wife and I are glad to be able to call him a true friend and spend time with him and his wife at their home after he retired as the owner of la Cuillère à pot.

For so many years the trips to the Pot were always our favorite of the season.

Three or four trips a year just didn’t seem enough, the fantastic riding was just icing on the cake of our time spent at Gaetan’s.

Gaetan my friend, rest in peace you will be greatly missed.

I received a phone call yesterday afternoon and was told that we lost one of the great ambassadors' of the sport, Gaetan Aubain.

I was told that he succumbed to lung cancer after a long battle with health issues.

As most of us know Gaetan was a pioneer in bringing U.S. snowmobilers to St. Donat and the surrounding areas.

My wife and I are glad to be able to call him a true friend and spend time with him and his wife at their home after he retired as the owner of la Cuillère à pot.

For so many years the trips to the Pot were always our favorite of the season.

Three or four trips a year just didn't seem enough, the fantastic riding was just icing on the cake of our time spent at Gaetan's.

Gaetan my friend, rest in peace you will be greatly missed.

Really sorry

I remember Gaetan when he own the POT it was great spot you could always call him and ask about the snow conditions

My condolences to you and his Family

crazysnow good.gif

My 1st trip to Quebec for snowmobiling back in 1994 was to "The Pot" in Saint Doanat. I returned there several times over the next few years. Gaetan was a wonderful man with whom I had many meaningful conversations about QC & snowmobiling there. He truly was a pioneer in bringing riders from the USA to experience first hand the amazing winter wonderland of "Lanaudiere" & its surrounding area. He will me truly missed.

Florida Snowman

Yes I remember my first trip to Quebec was in 1989 and the "The Pot" was the place I stayed.I can remember it as if it was yesterday . He Always took great care of us. The food was great and a lot of it! May his sole rest in peace.

Over 25 years ago Gaetan began driving to all the NE states, as well as PA, NY, and once to Ohio, to visit state snomobile association meetings, expos, shows, etc., to not only promote the Cuillere a Pot, but also to showcase the trail system in Lenaudiere and the Laurentide. His tales of the trail system and Quebecquois hospitality caused many american sledders to make their first trip to La Belle Province. He was quite a guy. I first stayed with him at the Pot, in 1986, when only the motel units next to the restaurant were there.

He and Hugette worked long and hard to build the Pot's business, (most of the hard work was done by Hugette :-) ) His whole family was involved in the early days, Josie working the front desk and his son running the Bombardier dealership in the building that Gaetan built across the parking lot from the Pot. For many years the Pot was the place to be when riding in QC. Gaetan was a multiple past President of the St-Donat snowmobile club. He had a chalet on the edge of the Verendrye about 20 miles from Clova and he loved hunting and fishing there for many years. I had the pleasure of hunting moose there with him 3 years ago, his last time he visited the chalet after found out that he was afflicted with liver cancer. He sold his interest to his ex son-in law (Josie's ex).

He fought his cancer for nearly three years. He was buried in St-Donat on Friday. Many folks don't know that when he was in his "pre Pot" life that he was the mine superintendent in Chibougammau. Another note of interest was that his mother was the cook/household administrator for the Molson family (bev) that had a huge estate in the woods about 5 k's outside Ste-Agathe. The Molson clan would come to Ste-Agathe station on the Petite Train du Nord from Montreal, then be conveyed by sleigh to their estate. Gaetan's mom was their local major domo. Gaetan's dad was the postmaster in St-Donat and drove to St-Agathe every day. Rte 329 was gravel. His dad had one of the early bombardier snocoaches that he used for his winter runs.

Gaetan was a good friend to many. Me included. Long after I stopped staying at the Pot, I loved St-Donat so much I that my Krissy and I bought a house on Lac Archambaul with our friends Thad (Pud to many of you QR's) and Sandy Stevens 13 years ago. We still went to the Pot nearly every day when in town to eat and to spend time with Gaetan and Hugette. 5 years ago when my Denali was stolen off Rue Principal in front of the Hayes (now Mandy's ***;). Krissy and I were "vehicle-less". The next morning when I went outside, Gaetan's Denali was parked in front of my place, with the keys in it. When I called him at the Pot, he said to keep it till I had another vehicle.

Krissy and I visited him whenever we were in St-Donat. It was very hard to see him going down hill, each time I stopped by his house on Bellevue in town. He was always upbeat and when i'd call or visit, he always said he was doing fine. Still quick with a joke. I miss him.

The tales that many riders could tell about how Gaetan helped them out of a jam or provided them the name of a contact or problem solver are many. He touched many peoples lives.

I'll see Hugette and Josie on Thursday. I'll be in St-Donat for Christmas.

Two years ago; BERNARD. Now; GAETAN. The two giants who painted the face of hospitality, humour, and the motoneige. Quebec snowmobiling's great loss.

timbo

***if you are in town try it. You folks who knew the Pot will surely remember Francine, who was Gaetan's #1 t waitress for many years. She and he husband Luigi bought the Hayes.

Timbo I believe & agree with your thoughtful remarks. I myself also was fortunate to have known Gaetan & Hugette also. Never had the opportunity to lodge at their establishment but have dinned there for lunch many years in a row. In the 80's & early 90's our group of 12 would spend a week at the end of January at the La Glacier in St. Zenon & always would make a point to ride down to St. Donat & have lunch with Gaetan & Hugette. It was one of best meals of the week. They were always very friendly & always enjoyed conveying with both of them & their staff. Will never forget them & La Cul'Da Pot.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the history Timbo. It is good to acknowledge and remember how much effort individuals put into this sport to make it what it is today. It makes us appreciate what we have and not take the trail system for granted.

Jack & Sandi