First QC trip

Nine2Nine

We a planning a trip to Gaspe this year, maybe sooner than later as the rain will not let up here, we will be crossing in Campbellton. 2-3 day trip and we are looking for some input on a place to stay, ( Safe and easy ) . We are thinking about riding the Matapedia - Amqui area, we are looking for off trail riding as well as great trails. Any help would be appreciated. Any feedback on other areas would be nice as well.

Thanks

The Gaspesie is hard to do a 2 day trip on because of size, but not impossible. You can make a nice loop from Pointe a la Croix up through Amqui to Matane and stay the night in Saint Anne Des Monts. The next day continue along the coast till you hit the 597, go south on it till you hit the local trail heading to Perce, spend the night there or Chandler. From there it is 200-235 miles back to Pointe a la Croix, three easy days. Should you be able to squeeze a 4 day trip simple follow the TQ 5 around the whole perimeter of the Gaspesie

The Gaspesie is hard to do a 2 day trip on because of size, but not impossible. You can make a nice loop from Pointe a la Croix up through Amqui to Matane and stay the night in Saint Anne Des Monts. The next day continue along the coast till you hit the 597, go south on it till you hit the local trail heading to Perce, spend the night there or Chandler. From there it is 200-235 miles back to Pointe a la Croix, three easy days. Should you be able to squeeze a 4 day trip simple follow the TQ 5 around the whole perimeter of the Gaspesie

I forgot to mention we would be trucking to QC and hoping to stay in the same place and do day trips, or maybe one nite in the Saint Anne Des Monts area. We would like to know the trucks and trailer are somewhat safe and we have a home base. Which Hotels or cabins cater to sleds? I'm guessing all do.

thers places in amqui to atay also in causapscal but i my self yould not want to drive my truck there when u could ride there

if u want to stay in amqi leave truck im palc and ride out of amqui every day

a nice place to stay there is the ambassadeur

thers places in amqui to atay also in causapscal but i my self yould not want to drive my truck there when u could ride there

if u want to stay in amqi leave truck im palc and ride out of amqui every day

a nice place to stay there is the ambassadeur

Thanks for the input, it makes easier to put a trip together. Those who have been there can supply great feedback.

Everyone has different riding styles and goals, but you have 2-3 days and said you want to do Matapedia – Amqui area. People will tell you to do the Gaspe loop but with 2-3 days you will need to ride steady and won’t enjoy what it has to offer, plus you said you wanted to do off-trail riding.

Trailer to Pointe a la Croix and park behind the hotel (safe parking, big area), if you get there by noon you have ½ day to explore enroute to Amqui for the night. Stay at Selectotel, not fancy, but easy trail access via 587N and clean, restaturant on-site and MacDonald’s next door. You can also safely park truck/trailer here, and Amqui is about 1 ¼ hours drive from Pointe a la Croix on good road.

There are lots of local trails in Amqui area worth riding. Pick-up a local map. I’ve ridden Gaspe loop many times but late March last year spent some time riding local trails out of Amqui. Doing the Gaspe loop is well worth the effort but not if you don’t have enough time. Covering 200-225 mile days in Bathurst area (wide fast trails) is much easier than the Gaspe which has more road crossings, towns and some narrow steep trails. Plus if you’re new to the area you won’t be traveling as quickly and likely be stopping to take pictures etc.

Out of Amqui take trail 587 N towards La Redemption, find the trail to the TV Tower (snow covered trees look like ghosts) and obersation tower. This is well worth the side trip of ~ 3-4 km on ungroomed trails. In this area are lots of logging roads for off-trail riding and tends to be a high snowfall area (maybe not this year). Easy gas access in Sainte Irene (near ski-hill), plus a place to eat.

On the way to Amqui take trail # 5 and on the return trip to Pointe a la Croix take trail # 587 S. For a side trip out of Amqui head towards Sainte Paule and find Auberge Erabliere (big maple syrup camp) which has a nice restaurant (good food) and rooms. Other side trips include Lac Humqui.

This area is a mix of hills/woods and open rolling framland with big views. Once you have a local map (or find Quebec trail system plotted on Google earth) you can see the possibilities of potential loops and the distance you want to ride in a day.

Most people riding the Gaspe travel through Amqui on trail # 5 enroute to Matane and beyond, but they’re missing out on this area which has trails and scenery which are hard to beat. Someday when you have time and decide to ride Gaspe loop take the trail between Relais La Cache (595) and Murdochville (597).

Not to highjack, but I am also looking at getting up to the Gaspe this month for the first time.

I was wondering what I should know about riding in Quebec (laws and Regulations) compaired to New Brunswick.

I had heard that you must run mirrors, does the glove ones count?

Also someone said the speed limit is 45 mph, is this correct?

Not to highjack, but I am also looking at getting up to the Gaspe this month for the first time.

I was wondering what I should know about riding in Quebec (laws and Regulations) compaired to New Brunswick.

I had heard that you must run mirrors, does the glove ones count?

Also someone said the speed limit is 45 mph, is this correct?

One mirror is a requirement, I've been going to Quebec for 7 years now and have gone through dozens of checkpoints and not even once been asked about a mirror. 45mph speedlimit? Maybe in the corners,LOL :rofl:

One mirror is a requirement, I've been going to Quebec for 7 years now and have gone through dozens of checkpoints and not even once been asked about a mirror. 45mph speedlimit? Maybe in the corners,LOL :rofl:

Not that great of advise , I got a nice $325 fine a few years ago by la tuque.(139kph) What is not on that list of fines are the extra fees that each town will add on , in my case it was an extra $175! With the mirror deal , i have had a hassle a few times (no fine tho) now i just run with a real mirror.

The Act respecting off-highway vehicles provides for fines ranging from $100 to $1,000:

$100 to $200 for crossing a public road at a location that is not authorized by a road sign, or for driving within 30 meters of a dwelling

$250 to $500 for not being in possession of an insurance certificate

In the case of a person having authority over a child under the age of 16 years, $500 to $1,000 for permitting or tolerating the operation of a snowmobile by this child, and in the case of the owner or custodian of a snowmobile with authority over a child under the age of 18, permitting or tolerating the operation of a snowmobile by this child when this child does not hold a certificate of competence

Graduated fines for exceeding the speed limit

Schedule of Fines for Speeding Violations

Snowmobile

All-terrain Vehicle

Maximum speed (s. 27)

70 km/h

50 km/h

Excessive speed range and fine

Category 1

71 to 74 km/h

75 to 79 km/h

80 to 84 km/h

85 to 89 km/h

90 km/h

$25

$35

$45

$55

$65

51 to 54 km/h

55 to 59 km/h

60 to 64 km/h

56 to 69 km/h

70 km/h

$25

$35

$45

$55

$65

Category 2

91 to 94 km/h

95 to 99 km/h

100 km/h

$85

$100

$115

71 to 74 km/h

75 to 79 km/h

80 km/h

$85

$100

$115

Category 3

101 to 104 km/h

105 to 109 km/h

110 to 114 km/h

115 km/h

$145

$165

$185

$205

81 to 84 km/h

85 to 89 km/h

90 to 94 km/h

95 km/h

$145

$165

$185

$205

Category 4

116 to 119 km/h

120 to 124 km/h

125 to 129 km/h

130 km/h

$250

$275

$300

$325

96 to 99 km/h

100 to 104 km/h

105 to 109 km/h

110 km/h

$250

$275

$300

$325

Category 5

131 to 134 km/h

135 to 139 km/h

140 km/h +

$385

$415

$445

and up

111 to 114 km/h

115 to 119 km/h

120 km/h +

$385

$415

$445

and up

Fines for Other Infractions

Selling a non-conforming exhaust system(2)

$250 to $500

Riding on private property

Short-term rental of an overpowered OHV

Failure to obey an order to stop

Remember that the primary purpose of the Act respecting off-highway vehicles is to ensure your safety and that of others. The use of snowmobiles will continue to grow in the future as long as we can ensure that riders can enjoy this activity safely

Link here

http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/page/portal/grand_public_en/vehicules_hors_route/securite/motoneige

Wow, thanks for the info.

So i guess the speed limit does exist (70kph = 43mph)

As far as the trail cops, is there many in the Gaspe?

What do they run for sleds and are they easy to spot?

Damn 43mph seems slow.

If they set up radar it's usually close to towns. I have seen radar set up in La Tuque behind the airport.

Use your head, ride responsible, if you are near town, Slow Down! Don't be a throttle jockey nobody is impressed by you! Out on the trails away from town not bothering others; enjoy yourself and stay to the RIGHT! Been asked about mirrors and saw people told about their exhaust being to loud.

• 1 month later...

We a planning a trip to Gaspe this year, maybe sooner than later as the rain will not let up here, we will be crossing in Campbellton. 2-3 day trip and we are looking for some input on a place to stay, ( Safe and easy ) . We are thinking about riding the Matapedia - Amqui area, we are looking for off trail riding as well as great trails. Any help would be appreciated. Any feedback on other areas would be nice as well.

Thanks

Well we ended up heading to Gaspe on short notice and on a trail run, I have to say I'm still in awww. It is great sledding and the trails are amazing. I was keeping an eye out for Groomer, we only seen 8 sleds on a 185 mile run from Pointe-a-la-Croix to Rimouski. I'll take some more advice on day trips around Amqui and how long a guy needs to get in and see the Chic-Chocs..

post-1154-0-70321700-1329097996_thumb.jpg