2012 Trail Conditions

Saguenay Bill

My understanding is that the Mayor of Saguenay City made the decision to pay the farmers $2 Million, taxpayers money. The clubs don't have that kind of money. I had an offical of the Caribou-Conscrits explain to me that the problem is as follows:

1. The only money the clubs receive to groom is from the sale of trail passes.

2. The Caribou-Conscrits Club sells 2,500 passes at roughly $150 each is roughly $380,000 for grooming roughly 20 weeks.

3. Clubs in metropolitan areas, like Montreal, may have may sell 2500 passes and groom 4 weeks.

4. The C-C club would like to see the money from trail passes divided up based on hours of grooming, not the way it's being done now.

This has been an on going discussion in the past with no resolution. The C-C club is trying to get a resolution to this.

i am only the messenger here.

Bill- Thanks for setting the record straight. Didnt realize the towns actually paid the tab.

From your reports it sounds like you had a terrific season up there! Have a great summer.

We did a Gaspe trip this year but next yr we will head back to the Saguenney region. Better trails and more of them.

-NHTOM

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The C-C club does such a great job in that area, sad to see them get the short end of the stick. Its alot like New York, 75% of the clubs take the money and run..........

whats a reliable weather source for your area or QC in general? I look at 3 different sources, all of which are WAY different!

This is the first time in years i had to really think out where to go in Quebec. maybe i am overthinking it but the weather stinks...... :shock:

I use http://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/jonquiere/g7s/daily-weather-forecast/50014?p=accuweather and http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/qc-166_metric_e.html

Bill- Thanks for setting the record straight. Didnt realize the towns actually paid the tab.

From your reports it sounds like you had a terrific season up there! Have a great summer.

We did a Gaspe trip this year but next yr we will head back to the Saguenney region. Better trails and more of them.

-NHTOM

NH TOM

It is important that we get the facts regarding this. I have been interviewed 3 times this year regarding this topic. I am not a taxpayer in Quebec so I tend to not give my opinion. The Saguenay valley is a great farming area. Couple of years ago I had the oportunity to speak with an an offical from Nutrinor, the farmers coop in the Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean region. He told me there were 125 dairy farms that belonged to the coop. As well the Sonic gas stations are supplied with gas from Nutrinor. Nutrinor as represents farmers that grow vegetables. But on the other side it seems like about every few years someone holds the snowmobile trails as ransom for what they would like. These farmers belong to a union. Those that are snowmobilers don't like what is being done but can't go against the union.

Bill

monmt valin, scooby raid, pelchat, saguenay area updates please?

thinking this sunday thru late week for final hooraah! on-off trail. ran into 2 guys outside of bai st paul yesterday where 378 and 3 come toghether. they said Monts Valin was deep and nice.

mont st anne to la malbaie is all but shot. short tretches of OK and not much to write home about. LOTS of brown spots, limbs down, signs fallen over. getting from the town of baie st paul up into the hills, first 10k stunk........higher off trail elevation trails are great though!!! 2+ feet snow easy

4. The C-C club would like to see the money from trail passes divided up based on hours of grooming, not the way it's being done now.

Who is going to monitor the hour meter? If they ever go to this system there will surely be some widespread game playing. I don't see how it can get any fairer than it is now buy your pass where you plan to ride. Imagine how some of the smaller clubs feel that can't afford to advertise online or on a map to drum up more business. Or even worse some of the areas that can't get certified by the government and have to rely solely on the local business people to fund the grooming. Just my $.02 :pardon: