Slow down

Snowgirl38

I just read this, maybe we all should slow down...

MONTREAL - At least five people were killed in snowmobile accidents in Quebec this weekend, bringing to at least 16 the number of people who have lost their lives in snowmobile accidents in the province this season.

On Saturday, a 29-year-old man died after his snowmobile hit a tree in Gracefield, in the Outaouais region. The Sûreté du Québec took a blood sample to determine if alcohol was a factor in the accident, said Sgt. Daniel Thibodeau of the SQ.

Also Saturday, a man died after his snowmobile struck an object on a river in the Outaouais region.

On Friday, a 53-year-old woman died after she lost control of her snowmobile on a curve and hit a tree in Lotbinière. Earlier that afternoon, a 19-year-old man perished after his snowmobile hit a car while he was crossing Highway 249 in St. Georges de Windsor in the Eastern Townships, Thibodeau said.

On Friday morning, a 52-year-old man died after his snowmobile hit a tree that had fallen on a trail in the Saguenay region.

Speeding and alcohol are the two main reasons for snowmobile accidents, Thibodeau said. Last year, the SQ handed out 1,600 tickets for various infractions. The SQ patrols 32,662 kilometres of trails in the province.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/least+killed+Quebec+snowmobile+accidents+this+weekend/6034288/story.html#ixzz1kJdq3wCW

condolences to all mourning familys and friends :(

it's a good occasion just to remember to take care a bit more when we ride. Slowing down will never hurt us, it will just make the ride a bit longer... who will complain of sledding more !!!

Alain

One must have been a near death experience in the maurice park. F1100 southbound missed a right hand turn,flew over a culvert on the left and was slowed down by the 2-4 inch trees. Happened sunday, we rode by monday am, saw the local club(?) folks winching the wreck up the embankment. Stopped to help and to load it onto the towed trailer. They said the guy was hauled off on a stretcher sunday, condition unknown. Going way too fast for his ability. Have pics, but no way to post from the trail.

Usually the arctic cats are just broken down on the side of the trial, this one was wrecked and totaled big time by out of control rider.

Last year in Old Forge, a snowmobiler missed a turn at a very high rate of speed, on one of the back roads

and hit a bank and hit a tree at full speed, head on........ 17 feet above the road!!! Hit the tree with his head.

It was 2 a.m. and he was drunk. I don't want to say what the description was when they removed his helmet,

but just imagine a head with no skull bone. I argue the drinking and riding topic till I am blue

in the face but yet can never get anyone to see the light. Please don't drink and ride and please stay

tight to the right. My kids will be happier.

I once read about the dangers of snowmobiling. It was enough to make me give up reading.

I usually dont read those things either but a friend of mine wanted me to be safe this year. Last year I was in a bad accident in Clova,I missed a corner and was thrown off my sled and hit a bridge back first, broke 5 bones in my back, 2 ribs and my left hip, It took about 6 hours to get me to the Hospital in Mont Laurier and I am very lucky to be walking and even alive. I was not drinking and not going at a high rate of speed so i get that things happen. I am back riding this year and actually going back to Clova this weekend.

I usually dont read those things either but a friend of mine wanted me to be safe this year. Last year I was in a bad accident in Clova,I missed a corner and was thrown off my sled and hit a bridge back first, broke 5 bones in my back, 2 ribs and my left hip, It took about 6 hours to get me to the Hospital in Mont Laurier and I am very lucky to be walking and even alive. I was not drinking and not going at a high rate of speed so i get that things happen. I am back riding this year and actually going back to Clova this weekend.

It is good to hear that you are ok! Have a safe trip!

Snowgirl - Do you still ride? Wow that was some accident considering you were going slow. Snowmobiling is so unpredictable.

Yes i do still ride. I have put on 600 miles so far this year on 2 trips and i am going again this weekend to Clova. I honestly am not sure how fast i was going i really dont remember much before the accident but i have figured i may have been doing 40 mph when i realized i wasnt going to make the corner and when i braked to slow myself down that is when i was thrown off.

It is good to hear that you are ok! Have a safe trip!

Thanks so much.