Trip Report 1/30-2/3

Sled Dog

Ever figure out why the Attak was overheating?

Nope. We ordered a new thermostat and temp sensor. I'll change that out and add water wetter. And make sure its properly bled. All I really know to do. The radiator fan was working.

The Attak had a rough trip. Overheating, gotta be a crack in the muffler cause its loud now, tunnel protector hanging, inner idler wheels delamed, ripped seat. But it made it and that's what matters on a long trip!!!

Nope. We ordered a new thermostat and temp sensor. I'll change that out and add water wetter. And make sure its properly bled. All I really know to do. The radiator fan was working.

The Attak had a rough trip. Overheating, gotta be a crack in the muffler cause its loud now, tunnel protector hanging, inner idler wheels delamed, ripped seat. But it made it and that's what matters on a long trip!!!

How old was this sled. Sounds like air in the system but was the antifreeze drained out prior to going on the trip? Let us know what you find out, Yamaha's are not known to overheat normally and with the snow conditions you had it should not have been a problem. :drinks:

How old was this sled. Sounds like air in the system but was the antifreeze drained out prior to going on the trip? Let us know what you find out, Yamaha's are not known to overheat normally and with the snow conditions you had it should not have been a problem. :drinks:

Last year a guy in our group had a new yammi that kept overheating when we started out.

we drove it to the nearest dealer in quebec and they said from the factory they put in

straight antifreeze.he put in the proper mix and the problem went away.

Last week my sled started to overheat in good conditions (warming up & packing snow)on a long stretch doing over 80 mph, turns out I had a snow dam up against the rear cooler. Stop clear the snow in the rear, checked the front cooler and clean some out of there also, packed the running boards with snow and that was the end of it. I'm sure it was just the snow conditions/temps that day. Never had a problem the rest of the 1200 miles. I just recently installed a digital temp gauge and new something was up before the idiot light came on.

This was on a 2011 Apex by the way.

Kaz

Edited by Kaz

Screw Waswinipi. If they'd contribute to the clubs/groomers they'd maybe be an option.

Right on the 93 just a few clicks west from the crap trail to Waswinipi there're signs you can't miss (even @ 85mph) for GAS @ Dépanneur a Desmaraisville. They're 1/2 kilo from the trail, super nice (Nancy & her brother), and they sell 20 liters out of a shed of gas cans. And they operate the convenience store with whatever other supplies you might need. We called ahead to "reserve" a couple of cans but you might not need to: (819) 753-2305

It's also discussed here: http://www.quebecrider.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2176

That trail 93 doesn't take much skill, but it sure helps to have heuevos! (Or is that oeufs?)

Screw Waswinipi. If they'd contribute to the clubs/groomers they'd maybe be an option.

Right on the 93 just a few clicks west from the crap trail to Waswinipi there're signs you can't miss (even @ 85mph) for GAS @ Dépanneur a Desmaraisville. They're 1/2 kilo from the trail, super nice (Nancy & her brother), and they sell 20 liters out of a shed of gas cans. And they operate the convenience store with whatever other supplies you might need. We called ahead to "reserve" a couple of cans but you might not need to: (819) 753-2305

It's also discussed here: http://www.quebecrider.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2176

That trail 93 doesn't take much skill, but it sure helps to have heuevos! (Or is that oeufs?)

Thanks alot Playhard, that is very valuable information (especially the phone #) as we are passing through that neck of the woods in 2 weeks.

If it was super cold, the ice melting off the heat exchangers might have been freezing and leaving an air pocket. Also, check your anti-freeze to make sure it's 50/50 and not straight anti-freeze. The water wetter does work, but bleed it well. The exhaust might be your "doughnuts". They are known to blow out on Yammi's. They make new, stronger ones now to replace them. They also have an idler wheel bearing issue. I change mine every year. Can't help with the other issues.

The side heat exchanger was changed out last year, but the sled was ridden after that about 2000 miles and never had an issue.

Edited by Sled Dog

Great info! Thanks for the phone #! Those trails are incredibly fast aren't they!!

If it was super cold, the ice melting off the heat exchangers might have been freezing and leaving an air pocket. Also, check your anti-freeze to make sure it's 50/50 and not straight anti-freeze. The water wetter does work, but bleed it well. The exhaust might be your "doughnuts". They are known to blow out on Yammi's. They make new, stronger ones now to replace them. They also have an idler wheel bearing issue. I change mine every year. Can't help with the other issues.

Antifreeze was the correct mixture. The exhaust was not the donuts. They are fine, replaced before trip. The rear muffler pipe was snapped in 2!!! Sled has 12,000 miles. Its doing everything my 06 Attak did at those miles. Mine also broke at the weld but only took out a 2 by 1 inch square. We replaced 2 delamed wheels in LSQ. The next day one was delamed again. These were Kimpex wheels, he has since ordered Yamaha ones. (spoked) We have 2 weeks to get her back together for the next trip. NO problem!!!