Wasinipi Gas

ChrisWright

Read on another thread that some folks had trouble finding Wasinipi. It was my group that broke trail here a little over a week ago. Trail boss in town said that it would be marked soon, but as of now, other than the sign off 93 there's nothing. You follow the trail until it hits a plowed road, like someone else said, it sort of looks like a plowed driveway. Turn right here and follow to the next intersection, also a plowed road. Its a bit confusing becuase there are sled tracks everywhere through here. Once you get to the next intersection, turn right again. This will also be a plowed road. Follow this all the way out to the main road and turn right. You will have to ditch bang for about two klicks into town. The gas station is just on the otherside of the bridge. I would advise visiting only during day light hours.

Read on another thread that some folks had trouble finding Wasinipi. It was my group that broke trail here a little over a week ago. Trail boss in town said that it would be marked soon, but as of now, other than the sign off 93 there's nothing. You follow the trail until it hits a plowed road, like someone else said, it sort of looks like a plowed driveway. Turn right here and follow to the next intersection, also a plowed road. Its a bit confusing becuase there are sled tracks everywhere through here. Once you get to the next intersection, turn right again. This will also be a plowed road. Follow this all the way out to the main road and turn right. You will have to ditch bang for about two klicks into town. The gas station is just on the otherside of the bridge. I would advise visiting only during day light hours.

In summary, follow trail to plowed road, turn right. Follow to a T, turn right on plowed road and follow to main road. Turn right and ditch bang to town.

Thanks for breaking the trail! There's a lotta snow there! Had you ever been there before? Even the trail leading to the "road" had a lot of offshoots. We just followed the most heavily traveled.

His directions are right on. And if you cross a bridge, your on the right track.

Another thing people could do if you have a smart phone is call up that area on your phone where you have WIFI. Then if your questioning where your going, check on your phone. Even if you don't have reception the GPS function still works and the maps are already called up. I can't take credit for this, read it somewhere!

Edited by Sled Dog

No, we had never been there before. Just used the map, compass on the sled, some common sense and a lot of luck!!

Chris,

You just answered my question that I asked on Sled Dog's post. That was exactly how I remembered getting there a couple of years ago. We got there after dark, there were 6 of us and we always left 3 or more guys out with the sleds. We had no problems. Thanks for the confirmation. Rick

Chriswright what would you say the milage is from LSQ to Chapais?

This is a post from another thread, confirms my notes of 135 miles.

Just rode Val d'Or to Chibougamau Sunday with my wife. We filled up at the station in Lebel-sur-Quevillon, it was 135.5 mile to the station in Chapais. It took 8.5 gallons to fill each sled, so we technically had 1.5 gallons still available. The trail to Waswanipi looked terrible, glad we didn't try it. There is gas available in 5 gallon cans in Demaraisville. Talked to a couple guys in Chibougamau that had bought gas in Desmaraisville, said there sleds didn't run right, so not sure of the gas quality there. There is no gas available in Miquelon.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

This is a post from another thread, confirms my notes of 135 miles.

Just rode Val d'Or to Chibougamau Sunday with my wife. We filled up at the station in Lebel-sur-Quevillon, it was 135.5 mile to the station in Chapais. It took 8.5 gallons to fill each sled, so we technically had 1.5 gallons still available. The trail to Waswanipi looked terrible, glad we didn't try it. There is gas available in 5 gallon cans in Demaraisville. Talked to a couple guys in Chibougamau that had bought gas in Desmaraisville, said there sleds didn't run right, so not sure of the gas quality there. There is no gas available in Miquelon.

Scott

We stopped and fueled up in Demaraisville at the sorner store. Yes it's in 5 Gal cans. We had no problems with the quality. Sure beats the 24Km in and 24km out of Wasanipi. Store even has Bombardier oil if you need it.